Off Road Safety

Submitted: Monday, May 27, 2013 at 09:18
ThreadID: 102436 Views:2218 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, setting off around oz shortly and intend to do some roadside o/night camping in a jayco camper. In regards to safety am I better off pulling over closer to towns or a distance out of town??
Thanks in advance for responses.
Cheers, Jason
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 10:08

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 10:08
Gay,
All depends on the towns of course, but your better off either in the towns or a long way out in my opinion.
AnswerID: 511914

Reply By: Skulldug - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 10:15

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 10:15
Hi Jason and best of luck on your fantastic opportunity to travel. When free camping we follow our instincts as well as Camps 6 or Wikicamps.

Check out likely spots where grey nomads might be camped. There is safety in numbers but make sure you camp next to fellow travellers and not other groups that could cause trouble or borrow your things.

If we can't find good company, we look for a spot well out of town and if possible, get some distance off the road where you can't be seen.

On weekends we avoid the most picturesque spots particularly close to towns. We have settled in for the day in some lovely places only to be joined by the local teenagers carrying lots of beer and doof doofs. Having said this, these kids have never caused us any safety worries, just noise.

On balance, we have never been in a situation where we have felt threatened. What often happens is that you pull in somewhere and it just doesn't feel right. Broken glass on the ground, graffiti or squatters near by. We just find a better spot.

Last point. We keep out of trouble. We have witnessed people using their chain saws on living trees just to make a seat. Some people dump litter, buts, nappies, and run generators at all hours. Others have the need for dogs they couldn't possibly control. These aren't really safety issues. They are just infuriating. Whether or not you choose to let them know that they are spoiling it for the rest of us is entirely personal.

I think it's best to find the company you feel comfortable with and avoid the rest.

Enjoy Oz. The real risks are while driving.
AnswerID: 511915

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 10:24

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 10:24
Yea, it all depends on where you are. Some places you would not camp near or in town, unless it is in a safe caravan park. But then again in some parks you still have to secure your gear overnight. You will get to know along the way. Don’t get too worried about it; just use common sense and if looking at a road side camp, perhaps look to see if others are there and go over and say hello. Remember, considering the number of travellers out there you will hear very little about someone getting attacked or property stolen. You just don’t want to be one of those few I suppose. Kevin
AnswerID: 511916

Reply By: craigandej - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 11:24

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 11:24
I know there are arguments both ways, but we travel with 2 blue heelers. Never had to worry where we pull up, and we have 2 kids under 4 now.
AnswerID: 511920

Follow Up By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 11:39

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 11:39
Either good caravan parks in towns orwell out of town. Our rule is off the road and out of sight. We occassionally stay with other nomads.

John
FollowupID: 790220

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 23:54

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 23:54
I reckon 2 blue heelers and 2 true-blue squealers is more than enough to keep most well away Craig ;-)
FollowupID: 790346

Reply By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 12:00

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 12:00
Hi jason,

Ive never had any issues traveling around and have camped in some pretty rough areas. Use your head and dont become a victim. I wouldnt stay on the side of the road close to Bourke for instants but 10km out would be fine.

99% of places youll be fine cause we live in the best (and safest) country in the world.

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 511926

Reply By: Idler Chris - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 21:13

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 21:13
I avoid CP's in the centre of towns, to near pubs where there can be undesirables. CP's on the outskirts town usually OK. I use my instincts and have a 750mm truck tyre lever beside the bed. I sleep like a baby every night.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 511966

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 22:29

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 22:29
Hi Jason

Stay around 20 kilometres from town and there will be no problems. If you pull into a spot littered with empty cans and signs of burnouts or doughnuts it may not be the best place to be on Friday night. Trust your instinct. We prefer to camp alone and away from the noise of traffic, but even pulling off overnight alongside the highway when on a quick trip has never been a concern. Trust your instinct and you will soon develop a sense for safety or a feeling that makes you want to move on. Free and low cost campgrounds usually have great camaraderie. We also enjoy National Parks.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 511970

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 23:37

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 23:37
Jason,
Make sure you watch "Wolf Creek" for tips on safe camping.
Bob
AnswerID: 511980

Sponsored Links