shudder

Submitted: Monday, May 27, 2013 at 20:29
ThreadID: 102449 Views:1921 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,
I'm hoping to find a bit of help from someone out there. I recently purchased a 1998 Subaru Liberty GX for my grandson (his first car) and it has developed a shudder in the rear wheels when doing a tight turn in either direction ie. a roundabout or a u turn. Drive it in front wheel drive no problems and no problems in AWD on straight roads or around corners, but take out the fuse for the FWD and drive it in AWD slowly in a tight turn and the shudder comes back. Now as an old school bush mechanic there's no problem fixing it if I know the cause, but these new fangled electronics totally stuff me and at the prices that are charged today for mechanical work I wont be going there. So here's hoping for some (fair dinkum) advice from a kind explorer somewhere out there.

Cheers,
terryc5
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: member - mazcan - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 21:35

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 21:35
hi
after owning 3 older Subaru's over the years although they weren't awd
my first guess its the rear cv joints need replacing
its a common problem in the subaru front or rear
in yours you have isolated the problem as rear
have a look at the rubber boots to see if they have split in vehicles that have done a lot of k's or have been off rd it's not uncommon for the boots to split or become damaged which let dirt in and grease out causing destruction
and if there is any grease around grab hold of the cv joint a try and wriggle them there should not be any lay in them they should be firm
if not there lies the problem
cheers
AnswerID: 511967

Follow Up By: Member - nellyjr - Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 16:31

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 16:31
Just speaking from a non Subaru background here, but if the CV's are fine, check out the rear drive train, it sounds like a binding issue, which may be caused by the CV's as Mazcan suggests or a diff issue.
FollowupID: 790299

Reply By: Axle - Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 16:39

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 16:39
G/Day mate , you say when in AWD its fine on straight roads and corners, only shudders when you take out the fuse out for FWD, What Mazcan Says, but i think thats when the electronic stability control came in with that model so something might be getting upset there when pulling the fuse.as well.... You will sort one day ....lol

Cheers Axle.

c
AnswerID: 512022

Reply By: terry c5 - Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 22:11

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 22:11
Thanks Fella's,

I thought that there might be someone out there with a credible answer to the problem. What a wonderful site this is when one can reach out to all the good Aussies out there for some helpful advice. I have checked the CV's and they are nice and tight, no slop at all, so my next step is to check out the stability control, how, I'm buggered if I know, but I'll come up with something. As they say, necessity is the mother of all invention. Again thanks a lot for the tips and stay safe in the bush.
Cheers,
terry c5
AnswerID: 512059

Sponsored Links