Rooftop Tent Condensation

Submitted: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 10:34
ThreadID: 102457 Views:10829 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, Does anyone have a solution to stopping a condensation problem underneath the mattress in a rooftop tent. We have been doing trials in preparation for a trip to the cape but our trails have been in very cold conditions ie;The Pyrenees Ranges and the Vic High Country. Will warmer conditions solve the problem or make it worse?? Cheers to all
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DBN05 (tas) - Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 11:46

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 11:46
Hi Baker 1

have a look at foamland they sell mattress barrier acs10 which come in 2100mm width it will do the job it's no good putting blankets etc under mattress as these still get wet it need to breath under mattress and this does. Its not cheap in fact it cost an arm & a leg but better than wet gear. The warmer conditions are just the same as in cold conditions. There is also a product called Hydravent its dearer than acs10. Hope this helps.

Harvey
DBN05
I NEVER get lost, but don't i see a lot of NEW places.

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 511998

Reply By: member - mazcan - Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 12:48

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 12:48
hi baker 1
I have a 5 ml thick closed cell foam that I bought and lined my fibre glass bodied camper trailer with and never have any problems with moisture
it is available from clark rubber in 5 and 10 ml thickness mine has a layer of alfoil included on one side which is facing down this acts as a heat barrier in the summer time as well
there is also a product called hypervent from camec stores used by a lot of poeple
also backpacker mattress foam have been used successfully by some people and also shade cloth and EMP foam which is a closed cell product also
closed cell products don't absorb any moisture
if you google the topic

eg :: moisture under mattress
it will come up with several websites to read on the topic with remedies
hope above help
oh! and not peeing the bed also helps lol
cheers
AnswerID: 512007

Reply By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 17:35

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 17:35
G'day Baker1

Although we are almost on opposite sides of the continent the roof top camper scenario you describe was something I also had to over come, I solved it by laying a sheet of artificial turf under the mattress on my roof top camper.

Safe travels :
AnswerID: 512025

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 19:19

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 19:19
Hi Baker,

This question comes up quite regularly and its not onlt RT tents that are affected. Put condensation into the search box (top RH corner of the page) and you should be able to see the variety of solutions that others have found.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 512034

Reply By: taswegian - Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 19:48

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 19:48
G'day Baker,
We use common Shade Cloth works a treat, cheap too.

cheers, Tazz.
AnswerID: 512035

Reply By: Idler Chris - Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 21:32

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 21:32
It may have something to do with the construction of the RT. I have had a Hanibal RT for some 6 years and would have had over 500 nights in it in all parts of Oz and I have never ever had a condensation problem.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 512053

Reply By: Pebble - Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 22:27

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 22:27
Camper trailer manufacturers such as Track Trailer (TVan) and Ultimate (to name a few) sell specific under mattress liners as optional extras that I believe are meant to prevent the problem you're having.
I've not seen them in person so no idea what they are, but I'm sure if you looked into it you could source them yourself from somewhere else if not from them....or find a similar solution, maybe one already suggested in the posts above :)
AnswerID: 512061

Reply By: Lachie - Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 09:18

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 09:18
Just for interest sake is the board underneath the mattress varnished?
A chap told me the reason some beds sweat is because if the wood is varnished or painted it will not breath.
Lachie
AnswerID: 512075

Follow Up By: Baker1 - Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 10:51

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 10:51
Thanks for your reply Lachie. Underneath the mattress is an aluminum base that is coated with a plastic type film. I think from the responses that the problem is air flow (breathing) under the mattress. I will try the cheap option first by putting shade cloth underneath, hopefully it works.

Thanks again "Happy Traveling"

Vaughan
FollowupID: 790363

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 11:05

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 11:05
I found putting a self inflator on top of the mattress stopped any moisture under the mattress. Biggest condensation problem I had with my roof-top tent wasn't the mattress, rather condensation on the roof if I had the vents shut. Some mornings it was raining inside the tent......
AnswerID: 512084

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 13:43

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 13:43
hi scott
that problem is caused by drinking too much before going to bed and heavy breathing out of the miosture you consumed
you need to eat more chilli you will create dryer air lol
problem solved
cheers
FollowupID: 790390

Sponsored Links