Fridges

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 20:14
ThreadID: 10248 Views:1796 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone, Rather than waste everyone's time, because I'm sure what I want to know is almost certainly in the forum archives, but as a new member I am not too clued up on chasing them up-- but I am wondering about fridges and only because of advertising, I wonder if the Trailblaza [say 60--80 litre] would be a good one to consider ? I am rapt with this forum and the way everyone is so helpful to everyone else and I would be pleased to hear any comments on fridges generally and ones to look at as well as what not to. TRailblaza offers 75mm thick insulation as well as 125mm [extra cost] Does anyone know if this is worth the extra cost?
thanks,
Pete.Pete
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Boeing - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 20:53

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 20:53
Pete, Trailblaza are a very good fridge, the extra insulation makes them bulky and somewhat heavy. We have a 42 litre model and I think that that is bulky enough. If you are anticipating taking it in and out of the vehicle all the time, then you will need either muscles or a couple of mates.As far as strenght goes, they are virtually bullet proof and I believe that the army have put them in all the APC's that they have. The suspension in those things is probably the worst that there is so they must be tough.

Cheers

Mark
PS. The after sales service is excellent
AnswerID: 45340

Reply By: friar - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 20:58

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 20:58
Hi Pete
I have a 60ltr trailblazer which I have had for about 8years,with
no trouble,used about 6months every year in the 4x4 & also
as a 2nd fridge at christmas & other times when all the kids
&gran kids decide to visit at the same time,I have travelled
with friends at differant times who have had ingles ,wacos ,explores
evarcools& I am yet to see a fridge work as well as the trailblazer,
Friar
AnswerID: 45341

Follow Up By: MARK (GEELONG) - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 21:10

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 21:10
I have 70 ltr trailblaza fitted on drawbar at front of camper exposed to all conditions
I had a couple of problems at the time they changed driers and I couldnt fault the after sales service
First time they freighted spare fridge to Alice Springs for us to complete 100 day trip and second time paid for all freight to send from Geelong and added extra accessories for incovenience
Have since had no problems and extra insulation works well when fridge sits in hot sun
Yes it is large and heavy when time to move it , but in my situation with 6 people it works a treat as no room in car to carry unitMark (Geelong)
FollowupID: 307431

Follow Up By: rolande- Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 22:27

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 22:27
Mark,
What did you use to bolt it to the drawbar? Do yuo have any other protection over it? Does power run from the trailer or the vehicle? What type of connection? Looking at doing somwthing similar so interested in your experience.
Rolande
FollowupID: 307453

Reply By: ToyMotor - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 22:17

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 22:17
I have had a 60 litre since 1994, it has spent about 3 months in that time sitting in the shed, and has worked perfectly for the other 9yrs 9mths in the back of my cruisers. Can't recommend them highly enough.

Cheers
AnswerID: 45352

Reply By: Bundy - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 23:29

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 23:29
We have just purchased our 2nd. Nothing wrong with the first, just the family increasing in size. I visited their factory early in the new year and they were working on an order for about 60 fridges for the army to go on the rear of their Leopard tanks...there are some you wouldn't do that with!

They are bulky etc but they appeared to be the most efficient.

Bundy
AnswerID: 45364

Reply By: bazza - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 20:21

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 20:21
pssssssst can i sneak in and ask youse luvely peoples any info in 2 coolers/warmers.
realise that they are JUST that however beenthere/donethat with the heavies.
EVERCOOLER EC986-12V. PWR INPUT 40-52W. 18/20 BELOW AMB. TEMP.
BEST auto trav. cooler/warmer .
tkg youse kindly.
AnswerID: 45467

Reply By: Brian - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 08:05

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 08:05
We have a Trailblaza 70 litre standard in the Patrol... big and bulky?? yep... strong and reliable?? yep... works well??? ... Yep

Someone commented that if you take it in and out of your car you have to have mates or muscles... this is true. We leave ours in the car when we're on a trip and in my office as a bar fridge when we're not. My wife and I can easily load/unload as long as it's empty.

Finally, a few friends are long time owners dating back to the "bad dryer days".. all have been most impressed with Norcoast Refrigeration's after sales service.

Just my opinion
Cheers
Brian
AnswerID: 45527

Reply By: MARK (GEELONG) - Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 07:19

Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 07:19
Rolande,
I had a base made out of angle iron the size of the fridge base for the fridge to sit in, welded to the drawbar , and it is held down with 4 turnbuckles from each handle.
I also have a chain and padlock attached to deter easy thieves
The only protection is the stone gaurd fitted to the front of the camper so it is basicly exposed to the elements which Norcoast assure me is no problem
I have a deep cycle battery in a box alongside the fridge and it connected using the 2 pin clipsal 32v plugs that the fridge comes with
In fact i have used these pins and sockets for all 12 v accesories
I can charge the camper battery whilst travelling via a hot wire from car battery using the same plugs
As yet i have not found the need to use anderson plugs but I would think they would be more efficient with heavy cable from the battery to the camper
I also have a solar panel for charging when out camping which charges through a regulator fitted to the camper battery
Also when in the shed at home I can leave it on the trickle charger without boiling the battery and the battery is always charged
I run the fridge from the battery monthly to cycle the batteryMark (Geelong)
AnswerID: 45646

Sponsored Links