New 4x4

Submitted: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 15:24
ThreadID: 102480 Views:3482 Replies:7 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, We recently were unfortunate enough to be involved in a collision in which a beloved 2004 100 serious, that had just clicked over 90,000km, was written off. Purchased new, it was part of our retirement plan. Fortunately we will recover from our injuries that could have been a lot worse. Also fortunately, we had it insured for agreed value not market.

WHAT TO REPLACE IT WITH? We intend purchasing a caravan and feel that we would prefer to stick to the Landcruiser, 100s at the right price and low Km are scarce. So looking for some feedback on the Toy 200s. We want an auto diesel. Price will have to be between $50k and $60k.

Can the readers please advise on what year and attributes that we should be looking for?

Will listen to discussion on other options, but please justify them.

Thanks

Russ.
Russ

Life-often hell but never boring.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: SDG - Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 15:37

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 15:37
What size van are you looking to tow? If only a lighter weight, other vehicles are available.
AnswerID: 512100

Follow Up By: Member - Prickle (SA) - Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 17:22

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 17:22
Probably 2 to low 2 tonne. Just do not want to be under powered. Been there done that in the past.
Russ

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 790417

Reply By: CSeaJay - Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 16:02

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 16:02
Russ

If you can get your hands on a 2007 L/C 200 it should be in your price range.
It would be approx 100,000 km +
The diesels only come in auto.
Other attributes? Definitely get KDSS. Although it is mainly advertised as loosening the travel for off-road and keeping the wheels on the ground therefore better traction, it also results in a much much better on-road handling. Specially at roundabouts and tight turns. This is because the KDSS also results in less 'roll' on the hardtop. Best of both worlds.

Hope this helps

CJ
AnswerID: 512101

Follow Up By: Member - Prickle (SA) - Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 17:24

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 17:24
Thanks, sounds good. Not familiar with the terminology KDSS and what it is. I take it is a stabilising feature?
Russ

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 790418

Reply By: mountainman - Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 17:41

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 17:41
stick with the 100 series TD.
had a look at the twin cab v8 diesel and the salesman said they are still having oil consumption issues to this day.

the 100 series are the vehicle you want.
bulletproof motor.
superb ride, and tow with ease.

the 200 series are getting a few problems still.
power steering pump fails, engine removal for some.. others not bet repairs around the 2g if out of warranty.
also the alternator is in a stupid spot, and dont forget the starter motor, half the top of the engine has to be removed to replace it.. thats a joke !!

but the owners say its the best cruiser theyve ever had, grunt grunt grunt..

but if it was me id stick with the 100series..
only 200 series if it had a decent waranty of like minimum 5 years 150k..
and youd plan to test those km's to the limit..

you should test drive the 4.7 v8 100 series.
its OVER 20g MINIMUM below the price of the TD
thats a hell of alot OF FUEL YOU CAN BUY !!
AnswerID: 512108

Follow Up By: Member - Prickle (SA) - Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 18:18

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 18:18
Thanks for you feedback. I am listening.
Russ

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 790420

Reply By: Axle - Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 17:58

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 17:58
G/Day Russ, ..Think you would be hard pressed to obtain a low km 200s diesel for that sort of money, maybe the V8 petrol ,with low ks which aren't a bad thing,fuel consumption is not bad for the power, you get and of course theres the reduced cost in servicing through out its life, ,I was happy with my 4.7 l V8 petrol in the 100s, the later ones are a lot better so i'm told.

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 512110

Follow Up By: Member - Prickle (SA) - Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 18:18

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 18:18
Thanks Axle.
Russ

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 790421

Reply By: Member - Wamuranman - Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 19:42

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 19:42
HI Russ,

There has been a significant fall in second hand value of the 200 series (VDJ200R) in the past 6 months. There are many of the earlier ones now for sale for under $50K (of course with KMs up around the 200k mark). But for your money you would go close to getting a 2010 model with under 100k kms if you search a bit…I saw one locally a few weeks ago for $63,999 (2010 GXL diesel with 76,000km).
In my own research I have observed two main reasons for the fall in value in the past 6 months – (1) The early ones are nearing the end (or have ended) their extended warranty and buyers will only pay a base price to allow a margin for any out of warranty repairs which can be expensive; and (2) at the end of 2012 dealers had a surplus of GXL’s they could not sell as a special edition model was the model of choice. Many dealers discounted these 2012 plated GXL’s (diesel) for $79,999 drive away (about $5000 discount).

What Mountainman said is true but despite all of these issues I would still get a 200 series for the shear joy of driving power and towing ability. There is nothing that comes close unless you jump up to the next level of Ford 250’s, Dodge Ram, or Chev Silverado.

AnswerID: 512119

Follow Up By: Member - Prickle (SA) - Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 19:55

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 19:55
Thanks Wamuranman,

I had a quick look around the other day and feel you are on the right track with your feed back.

I did go to a Toyota used car yard and he said 200s coming down, not holding their value, 100s going up. Said what we got for ours from Ins Co was about what they would have to pay (low $50k).

Appreciate yours and other's feedback.
Russ

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 790425

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 19:53

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 19:53
Russ,
Glad you guys are going to be OK. I moved to a new 200series about 6 months ago.
Worth looking at what I know:

Comparing VDJ200 to the HDJ100:
- Motor - 200series is a big lazy V8 that rumbles around town but comes to life on the highway - its great when you put your foot down and use some of the 650Nm torque. HDJ100 is no slouch but I think the 200 is ahead on this one.
- Fuel consumption: Although the claimed figures are slightly lower with the 200, many owners are finding it can use a bit more fuel than the HDJ100 when towing and heavily modified or heavily laden. So far my VDJ200 is using slightly less fuel than my HDJ79 used.
- Auto transmission. Many 200 owners think the 6 speed auto is a bit lazy and fails to use the grunt of the V8 motor well enough. I agree with them.
- Suspension: HDJ100 had the infamous cracked front arm problem when treated rough - toyota seemed to get on top of this eventually. 200series has a more reliable setup with strut front end. But the 200series came out with optional KDSS on the GXL and standard KDSS on VX and Sahara. KDSS is a hydraulic modicication of the sway bars which improved articulation when offroading and improves cornering and reduced roll on-road. It adds a little complexity - it has to be relevelled when suspension changes are done, but not a big deal. As they say on LCOOL "Those with KDSS say it's fantastic, those without it don't know what they are missing" - I don't have KDSS and must say I'm happy with the vehicle so I guess I don't know what I'm missing! Airbags are common mods to the rear springs of teh 200 to level things when towing.
- Servicing is a lot cheaper on the 200 - there's no timing belt to change, no wheel bearings to grease, no valve clearances to check, only 9.3L oil at a change (vs 11.5) and fuel filters and oil filters are half the price. Toyota fixed price servicing is set at $210 a service - a bargain!
- Safety - the 200series is now 5 star ancap because of all the airbags etc - but curtain airbags need a different cargo barrier - some cargo barrier manufacturers ignore this.
- Annoying electronics - the 200series is famous for beeping at you as soon as you do anything wrong - stupid warning chimes when the door is open in your driveway at home etc - most people work it out eventually - just takes time to get your head around.
- Keyless entry and push button start with the 200 - this really grows on you - no need to remove keys from your pocket
- Teething problems - the 200 had its fair share of these and if you're buying a pre 2010 model - I think Toyota had addressed most of these issues which is why I bought a new one. Oil consumption was just a nuisance - motors still went fine. Newer motors use no oil since piston ring design was changed in 2009. Previous motors were hit and miss - some bad, some good. the starter motor problems were due to inadequate water drainage from the V of the motor - its been addressed; power steering problems appear uncommon and may be due to mud in the front mounted power steering fluid cooler; alternators hang lowish but mine has lots of protection - even with the ARB bullbar; low charging voltage - easily addressed if you use a DC-DC charger as your 2nd battery isolator; new airfilter box - a flat one on the 200series - a few reports of dusted motors - fixed with a snorkel and normal servicing of the aircleaner; also the air filter can easily be installed upside down, causing it to suck unfiltered air; injector issues - its all gone quiet lately so I'm guessing things have got better;
- Common rail 200series motor needs nice clean water-free fuel - same as every other CR diesel on the market. Additional filter is a common fitment but you need to look after yourself - don't buy diesel from small crappy outlets and do the common simple things to prevent bad fuel and water. HDJ100 is more resiliant in this respect.
- Brakes - the 200series brakes are the best I've even had on a Landcruiser

Thats enough for now!
Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 512120

Follow Up By: Member - Prickle (SA) - Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 21:08

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 21:08
Thanks Phil, appreciate your input. Will keep it in mind and may be in touch down the track.
Russ

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 790434

Follow Up By: CSeaJay - Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 10:18

Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 10:18
Russ

I believe Phil has provided a very good unbiased summary. Also explained the KDSS as per your question to me earlier. Good luck with your choice - exiting times.
CJ
FollowupID: 790462

Follow Up By: Member - Prickle (SA) - Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 17:18

Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 17:18
Thanks CSeaJay.
Russ

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 790479

Reply By: cookie1 - Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 21:34

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 21:34
Replaced a 2009/10 Patrol with a 2011 GX Landcruiser and really couldn't be happier, this is the first Cruiser after 5 x Patrols.

Was thirsy at first but is coming down quite nicely but defintely not as thirsty as the 3.0l Patrol

Got it for just over $70k brand new

good luck and glad to hear you are all on the mend
AnswerID: 512127

Follow Up By: Member - Prickle (SA) - Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 17:19

Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 17:19
Thanks Cookie1
Russ

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 790480

Sponsored Links