Hummer ownership

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 25, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1025 Views:1423 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone out there actually own or have owned a Hummer. Seeking information, considering purchase.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve - Friday, Apr 26, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Apr 26, 2002 at 00:00
Are you thinking of this for the Outback or as a street 'toy' ? Wouldn't fancy trying to get one around some of the Outback tracks, as IMHO I reckon it would be too wide in the tracks to be of practical use in a lot of areas....remember that the Toyotas and Nissans are the most common work horses in the bush and the tracks are made by them and suit them best ....
AnswerID: 3154

Follow Up By: Peter - Saturday, Apr 27, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Apr 27, 2002 at 00:00
For outback use actually, I've been travelling all over Oz since 1974, I'm on my 6th Toyota, and apart from some overgrown sections on desert tracks like the Anne Beadell etc I don't see the width as a problem. It is only 200mm wider than a 100 series with approx the same difference in track. Given that there are a lot of Cruisers and Patrols with side rails and trays that are nearly the same width with ever larger tyres travelling the outback these days they will do most of the track clearing for me ;-)) Same width as a big Ford too.
They look wider but I suspect it is a function of the lower overall height.
Peter
FollowupID: 1253

Reply By: Gordon - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Apr 30, 2002 at 00:00
Peter, I met a guy with a hummer at Arkaroola one time. He was American and imported it especially for his Australian holiday. On two wheel tracks he found he would have one wheel in the track and the other wheel up on the side - hard to get a level ride. This was worst on soft beach when he couldn't follow in someone elses tracks so he burnt more fuel. In many places he had to make his own track around rocks that others could simply drive straight through. Consequently he would not have won any friends at "Tread Lightly". His water pump failed on the Canning Stock Route and had to wait a week for the part to be flown in from the US. Apart from that I think they look very comfortable and capable. I know they gussle fuel but don't know what range they would have.
AnswerID: 3222

Follow Up By: Peter - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Apr 30, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks for that Gordon, pity he didn't know that parts are freely available in WA!
I don't do much beach work these days, mostly outback dirt roads and desert work. I guess there will be places it may be more difficult to drive to but most of the time I can't see it being a problem.
Fuel consumption is another factor to be taken into consideration but it can always be repowered with something more efficient, although the contibuting factors like total lack of aerodynamics and gearing may be impossible to eliminate.
Peter
FollowupID: 1295

Sponsored Links