advice for camping in sth east qld in winter

Submitted: Friday, May 31, 2013 at 10:32
ThreadID: 102516 Views:3405 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
hey guys
my partner and i need some advice for some camping this winter.
first of all, what do most couples use for bedding in winter? as in a double sleeping bag? 2 singles sleeping bags? quilts/blankets from home?
im on the lookout for a new sleeping bag, as my Roman Swag Bag isnt warm enough. went sunday night, in a double swag with that bag + several layers of clothes i was still a little cold.. this was out at Andrew Dynan reserve. i wasnt freezing but a slightly better bag would of been more comfortable.

so half the time i go alone, the other half my partner comes along. so, are we better off with a double bag ( if so which one?) 2 x single bags? or bring blankets from home.

the other reason i ask is when i go on my own, i dont take the Patrol, i take the Mirage so space is a premium as that car gets packed easy with the double swag, dog, bags etc

also, where are some spots like darlington park, andrew dynan etc that arent too far out of bris (when we go its only for 1 or 2 nights)

any advice is appreciated
thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - dirtdodger - Friday, May 31, 2013 at 14:53

Friday, May 31, 2013 at 14:53
Hi AAD

I found the night temperature variation in SE Queensland winter camping to be the biggest problem for comfortable sleeping.
One winter in Sundown National Park I encountered plus 5 to minus 9 degrees change over five nights, and a chilly -11 at Landcruiser Park one year.

To me, a too cold sleeping bag is as bad as a too hot sleeping bag.

I finally compromised with a +5 degree bag to use all the year round, and in winter use a queen size feather doona to control the level of heat required.
I lay a "space blanket" on the ground, followed by a 50mm foam mattress.
Then part of the doona under the sleeping bag, and the doona folded over the bag.
This can all be folded or rolled into small(ish) bundles for traveling.

I control the temperature with the doona over the bag for a comfortable nights sleep.
If there is condensation through the swag/tent, I use on old piece of polytarp over the lot.
Remember, a lot of body heat can be lost through the head.......A beanie works fine...... and thermal underwear for the body.......but not too stylish.

Double versus single.
Personal preference.

As for places to camp reasonably close to Brissy.
Gordon Country Cattle Station near Warwick
Charlie Morelands in Imbil State Forest
Landcruiser Park in Jimna
Inskip Point/Rainbow Beach
etc etc.

If your winter camping does not coincide with school holidays you will not have too many neighbors wherever you stay, as Brisbane campers don't seem to like the cold weather.

AnswerID: 512239

Follow Up By: phantom - Friday, May 31, 2013 at 20:25

Friday, May 31, 2013 at 20:25
Lamington National park is also close and a nice spot with some great walks and maybe a feed of the elusive Yabbie. Gets cold of a night as has been suggested but I've always been comfortable with a good doona and maybe thermals on extra chilly nights.
Cheers
Rob
FollowupID: 790592

Reply By: sweetwill - Friday, May 31, 2013 at 16:29

Friday, May 31, 2013 at 16:29
When I go it is in a tent or a roof top tent, I resently acquired a caravan, but getting back to the sleeping bag,no matter what I sleep in tent or swag I always take my swag a double one with 4" foam,then I put a -5 sleeping bag in it most of the time it is left unzipped and it lays on top of me, then I take a double doona for the unexpected cold nights, the reason my swag is a double one is that I like to be able to move around in it, hope this is of some help Bill.
AnswerID: 512247

Reply By: angrya$$drummer - Friday, May 31, 2013 at 17:03

Friday, May 31, 2013 at 17:03
thanks guys
i think ill invest in a decent winter flannelette sleeping bag, jumbo sized with hood for me, when the mrs comes we can use that as a bottom sheet and bring the quilt for top

charlie mooreland ive been recommended a few times now
guess thats a sign i really got to check it out asap
AnswerID: 512254

Reply By: Jos - Friday, May 31, 2013 at 19:22

Friday, May 31, 2013 at 19:22
Last week I went camping for a few days at Borumba Dam and it was cold. I've found that a hot water bottle is great - and surprisingly stays warm all night (also a bonus being able to get into a warm bed). I also take along a fleece blanket that I can wrap myself in if it's extra chilly.

Just realized that I sound like I'm ninety.

Otherwise, I personally just take a quilt as I prefer it over sleeping bags. The kids have sleeping bags rated at 0 degrees, but I've just picked up a few extra hot water bottles for them and the hubby. There is nothing worse than trying to sleep when you're freezing (learnt this the hard way), so I always pack a couple of extra blankets just in case.
AnswerID: 512274

Reply By: phantom - Friday, May 31, 2013 at 20:22

Friday, May 31, 2013 at 20:22
Hi Angry,
We're in Vic and do a lot of camping in canvas tents. The wife and I use a good quality doona and the kids have -5 sleeping bags and space blankets as a back up. Never had an issue with the doona. We are using self inflating mattresses held together in a modified doona cover and do use sheets as well as the doona. Like our comforts....

Cheers & Beers
Rob
AnswerID: 512280

Reply By: Member - Marilyn P (NSW) - Friday, May 31, 2013 at 20:33

Friday, May 31, 2013 at 20:33
I'm not a sleeping bag person. First thing for me is a good matresss that stops the cold coming up. Then I use a variety of layers - a blanket inside a cover (one side cotton sheet, the other flannelette), also a doona cover again sown , sheet/flanelette. So I can put on layers of covers. This might take up more room in a vehicle but I've never felt cold in bed even though the billy is frozen and ice on the tent.
AnswerID: 512281

Sponsored Links