JABIRU TO MANINGRIDA

Submitted: Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 20:11
ThreadID: 102575 Views:3374 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G'day guys, my wife and I want to go and visit our son and his family living and working on Elcho Island over the Christmas holidays.
It looks to me that we can get flights from either Maningrida to Elcho or Nhulunbuy to Elcho. I have emailed the flight people and am waiting their reply but in the mean time I am wondering if anyone has got some up to date information on the road either into Maningrida or Nhulunbuy.
Thanks guys.
The Old Dog
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 21:39

Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 21:39
Hi Old Dog

Can't help with the track but the island is great.Well what I saw of it in a 3 day visit.Well managed community with friendly people.

I don't think you will be able to drive out there at Christmas time - too much water. And you will be there right in cyclone season and they get hit a lot. You will only be able to fly in. I flew from Darwin but it was a chartered flight.

If you do drive be careful at Cahill crossing as many a car has ended up in the water.

Serendipity

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 512483

Follow Up By: Old dog - Tuesday, Jun 04, 2013 at 05:52

Tuesday, Jun 04, 2013 at 05:52
G'day mate, thanks for the tips; your photos look great, the crossing doesn't look too great though.
I'll get in touch with a charter flight company in Darwin; I think I remember someone saying "Air North".

Thanks again. Old Dog
FollowupID: 790896

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Tuesday, Jun 04, 2013 at 08:09

Tuesday, Jun 04, 2013 at 08:09
Or "Scare North" as we know them up here :-)
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 790902

Reply By: Member - Fred B (ex-NT) - Tuesday, Jun 04, 2013 at 13:55

Tuesday, Jun 04, 2013 at 13:55
Hi, Xmas is wet season and the roads are likely to be closed. You could take a commercial flight to Gove (Nhulunbuys airport) and fly to Elcho from there. Probably a lot cheaper than trying to fly from Darwin.
Regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 512503

Follow Up By: Old dog - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 17:06

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 17:06
G'day Fred, thanks for the tip. We want to spend as much time as possible with our son and his family and any saving will help us with the length of time spent on Elcho.
We are at present trying to sell our family home in Launceston Tas but the market is very slow, we have decided that whatever happens though we are going to be on Elcho for Christmas. It's been 12 months since we've seen our boy and his beautiful wife and kids, and that's too long.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Old Dog
FollowupID: 791004

Sponsored Links