Light bars

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 10:04
ThreadID: 102593 Views:5564 Replies:18 FollowUps:43
This Thread has been Archived
Well Travellers I think our boys in Blue need to review there vehicle light configuration rules for WA. When travelling back from the Kimberley I was pulled over and drummed about my single light bar on my roo bar .I wasn't warned I was just handed a 100 buck fine i was told I need to have them in pairs which is ridiculous . If you have 1 x 18000 lumen light or two 9000 lumen lights what is the difference ?????. The last thing the officer said to me was you can put black tape in the middle of the light bar so it looks like two lights I nearly fell over . These lights are a major safety item when driving in the bush there is no comparison to the light they throw out the will save lives and this needs to be addressed . No question that I will be taking this further with the Authority . Safe travels and I hope the rain stops in the pilbarra soon its making things very muddy up there.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 10:16

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 10:16
I thought that law had advanced with technology & had been repealed, maybe not!

AnswerID: 512549

Reply By: Member - Annette & Bill (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 10:24

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 10:24
Hi Duane,
Below is the current lightbar laws for Queensland

The Latest in LED Lightbar Laws in Queensland. Looks like we have finally had a win.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/Safety/Vehicle%20standards%20and%20modifications/Vehicle%20standards/Vehicle%20standards%20instructions/drivinglampsvehiclesguidelinemay13.pdf

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/Safety/Vehicle%20standards%20and%20modifications/Vehicle%20standar

Regards Bill
AnswerID: 512551

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 22:29

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 22:29
Bill

Isn't the exemption only for ADRs relating to vehicles buiilt before 1991? That's the way I read it. "Transport and Main Roads has provided this Vehicle
Standards Instruction for ADR vehicles and vehicles manufactured prior to 1991"

But once they cross any border the car is illegal.

Aaaah The confusion.

Phil
FollowupID: 791034

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 22:37

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 22:37
Phil, with the mobility of today's society it is high time that laws (other than special local ones) are conforming throughout the whole of the Nation.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 791036

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 08:42

Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 08:42
Totally agree Allan.

Unfortunately the laws don't have a statement like; "if you live in another state you are exempt". So you run the gauntlet. And unfortunately ignorance is not an excuse. You fit the lights in ignorance - stiff! That's why we have mechanics and inspection etc.

On a personal note I think that we are just lucky our standard lights are sufficient for our needs.

What happened to Queensland last night. Go afraid of the cold did they?? You bloody ripper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil
FollowupID: 791060

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 09:13

Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 09:13
Yes Phil,
It is so easy to get caught out on some of these many minor pieces of legislation. For instance it is now required in NSW to have smoke alarms in any vehicle used to sleep in. That includes caravans, motor homes, and even within my old Troopy.
I actually thought that it was not a bad idea and anyway, as I may travel into the Great Premier State of NSW, I fitted a smoke alarm. Only trouble is that as soon as I get onto an unsealed road the dust sets it off so I have to deactivate it!
For the moment it is in the Too Hard Basket with the battery removed.
It is not too hard to be ethical but damned hard to be law abiding!

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 791064

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 10:52

Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 10:52
I am waiting for the day when we have to carry one of those high visibility tops and a safety helmet for when we change tyres. And don't forget the witches hats as well. And don't forget the steel cap boots as well.

We use a roof top tent and no smoke alarm. God forgive me for I have sinned!!! We will all go to hell.

Catchya

Phil
FollowupID: 791076

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 13:09

Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 13:09
Phil my Son, you have not sinned. You will not go to hell.

I here quote from the good book of NSW legislation.......

"However, the definition does not include
moveable dwellings that comprise:
A tent or structure that has two or more walls
and a roof or ceiling primarily constructed of
flexible fabric or plastic material."
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 791093

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 13:21

Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 13:21
Thank you father. I have been so stressed out. Almost like what a public servant feels at work each day. Oh the shock.

I noticed that you evaded the dig at what NSW did to QLD last night!!!

Catchya

Phil

PS: To the PS tribe - all in good fun guys.
FollowupID: 791096

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 15:12

Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 15:12
Phil, I didn't evade the dig.
Fact is I wouldn't know which end of a football to insert first!!!!!
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 791103

Reply By: Ross M - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 11:46

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 11:46
You didn't comply with the law.

It prohibits non separated lights even lights too close together.

Often mentioned on forums such as this.
Law may change but we all have to comply with what we have.

Light bar on a motorcycle is theoretically ok though.

Ross M
AnswerID: 512557

Follow Up By: Member - J&R - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 12:05

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 12:05
Ross M
Have to agree.
Although it's a strange law, it's the law.
The world is full of strange laws, but we still have to comply.

Duane A
It's up to us to make sure we comply with any and all strange laws.
Good luck with challenging it. You'd be better off making a written submission to your local member or to your motoring organisation.

But until then we need to suck it up.

There are many people who break the law every day with their cars, lights on the roof and fishing rod holders (meat cleavers) mounted on bullbars come to mind. Sometimes we get away with it, sometimes not.

But it's good to see the police enforcing the law. Perhaps you're lucky they didn't take a good hard look?
FollowupID: 790983

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 13:05

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 13:05
You got off light I copped a yellow sticker for my rod holders on my HiLux bull bar even though they did not protrude past the extremities of the vehicle, and the blokes at the inspection centre said it is wiser to leave them off your vehicle, as every rookie officer will pinch you for them. lesson learnt. but by the time they had finished with the vehicle it cost me new tyres, new steering damper,and new seals in the front hubs, and while the wheels were off I did the wheel bearings too.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 790987

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 13:14

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 13:14
Gidday

I saw some rod holders on a landcruiser yesterday and i thought "rod holders, haven't seen them for a while" so I guess that message must have got through to most people.

Cheers
FollowupID: 790988

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 16:50

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 16:50
Ross

"It prohibits non separated lights even lights too close together."

When I checked the regulations I didn't find any such stipulation. I posted it below.

The high beam, low beam, parking lights and indicators in my Discovery are all inclosed in the one housing (they all have separate reflectors). I guessing the WA police don't go around booking stock Discos because the lights aren't separated.

The individual lights in a light bar are all separate, each with their own reflector. Yes, the middle pair are close together, but the regulations don't mention this.

Bob
FollowupID: 791002

Follow Up By: Ross M - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 17:39

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 17:39
Echucan Bob
Oh come of it! What Rot.
We are not talking about high and lows in the one case AT ALL.
What are you on about?????

It is the perceived source of the light from the on coming drivers aspect which is what the law tries to cater for.

One brilliant big light bar DOES not diistinguish the structure of the oncoming vehicle ie Motor cycle OR road train. At night a somewhat different thing to allow to pass.
Therefore, it is assumed a light bar, because of it's perceived concentration of light presented to oncoming motorist AND traffic Policemen see it as a motorcycle because it appears in the centre, ie only one source of light, to the oncoming traffic.

I haven't been to a Disco, there is light flashing everywhere in them.
FollowupID: 791009

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 20:24

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 20:24
Ross,

"One brilliant big light bar DOES not distinguish..............etc"(unquote)

At night, when something like this is heading towards you at full noise, with all lights ablaze, I think you're going to know it's not a Honda or a Kawasaki.

But then the majority of truck drivers dip their lights early. Not like a lot of car drivers, and a few 4Wds, who don't dip until they can read your number plate.

Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 791021

Follow Up By: Ross M - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 20:37

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 20:37
Note the light bar with a blanked off centre section??

We are talking about the law not how big something is or isn't.
FollowupID: 791022

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 21:29

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 21:29
Um er Ross, settle down mate. The law was drafted before there were light bars. In the photo above the gap in the middle wouldn't be perceptable at 200 metres, let alone a kilometer when they would have been long dipped anyway. The policeman in question was being an opportunist - racking up his quota without regard to how stupid he seemed or the damage he was doing to the wider police reputation.
I've tried to show you the actual law so you might understand. You're clearly wrong and are reacting badly.

Bob
FollowupID: 791027

Follow Up By: Ross M - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 22:40

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 22:40
Echucan Bob
No the gap wouldn't be perceptible at 200 metres if on a road train, a 4wd or a motorbike.
It is what the law says, is what we are talking about not if it is big small bright or dull.

The policeman may have been filling a quota, but he is allowed to and given the opportunity to do it he will.

What we are saying is, Don't give him the opportunity because if you get caught it doesn't matter to him or the law, if you think you are right.

In all the "stuff above many lost what it was all about in the first place.

The big light bar on the road train is also legal on a motorbike then, cos it has it's centre obscured. Man in Blue or Khaki sees it as OK.
Poor old Duane didn't cut the beam so he did the crime and paid the fine.
FollowupID: 791037

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 19:18

Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 19:18
Sorry Constable Ross
FollowupID: 791119

Follow Up By: DiscoTourer - Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 22:01

Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 22:01
The police officer was not following the directive from the WA Police commissioner ..... He told his officers not to pull citizens up for petty issues, and to concentrate on serious issues. I guess he missed that memo, not listened to the radio, or was not watching the news....must have been out issuing petty infringements.

Brett....
FollowupID: 791140

Reply By: Member - Ian W1 (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 13:02

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 13:02
Hi Duane...copied from QLD Transport & Main Roads website ***Note the last 4 lines!
Requirements for the fitting fitment and use of driving lamps including Light Emitting Diode (LED) Light Bars on Vehicles, excluding motor bikes and motor trikes.
• The lamps should, as far as is possible, be installed symmetrically in pairs to the front of the vehicle.
• If lamps are not fitted as pairs (e.g. one, three etc), they must be fitted to the front of the vehicle, symmetrically about the centre.
• The lamp/s must be installed in a way that the light produced does not cause the driver of the vehicle discomfort either directly or by reflection.
• The lamp/s must only come on when the main-beam (high beam) headlamps are used, and must automatically turn off when the main-beam headlamps are turned off.
Note: This exemption from complying with a part of ADR13/00 only applies in Queensland and may not be recognised in other states or territories. Vehicle operators who travel between states and territories must ensure that lamps fitted to their vehicles comply with the requirements in each state or territory.
AnswerID: 512559

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 14:38

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 14:38
The following is copied from the Queensland Transport website and adds to what Ian has posted above.
Note the statement "Transport and Main Roads raised this issue with the Australian Motor Vehicle Certification Board, who have endorsed a change to the ADR". So in time the rules may be changed nationwide.
Oh, and just maybe, Queensland is not always 30 years behind the times??

***********************************************************************************
Queensland Government --- Transport and Main Roads.
Vehicle standards instruction (general 15.0)
Fitment and use of driving lamps including light emitting diode (LED) light bars on vehicles.
Released May 2013

The Department of Transport and Main Roads has recently dealt with a number of issues relating to the use of LED light bars, fitted to the front bumper bar or bull bar on some vehicles, as driving lamps. The main issue faced by vehicle operators is that when a light bar is used as a driving lamp on a vehicle manufactured from 1991, Australian Design Rule (ADR) 13/00 requires that either two or four lamps are fitted.
Transport and Main Roads is of the opinion that this ADR requirement was set before the introduction of LED type lamps and the requirement does not reflect this new technology.
To ensure national consistency, Transport and Main Roads raised this issue with the Australian Motor Vehicle Certification Board, who have endorsed a change to the ADR to allow an odd number of driving lamps to be fitted to vehicles. Until this update to the ADR is made, Transport and Main Roads has provided this Vehicle Standards Instruction for ADR vehicles and vehicles manufactured prior to 1991.
**************************************************************************************
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 790992

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 14:49

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 14:49
Just curious - what's the significance of 1991?

FollowupID: 790993

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 15:11

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 15:11
Dunno Scott. I just copy & post them, not explain them! LOL
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 790995

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 15:41

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 15:41
Eagles lost the Grand Final....

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 790996

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 17:09

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 17:09
Greg, it was also the beginning of the World Wide Web.
But that was maybe less significant than Hawthorn's GF win. lol
One of these must have something to do with driving lights?
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 791005

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 15:42

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 15:42
If you look closely inside the light bar housing you might just be able to see that there are some 40 individual LEDs, which are arranged in pairs on either side of the centre of the bar. I would have said that makes the light bar compliant with the WA regulations.

Could you please tell us which town this tosser of police officer came from so we can write to the WA Police minister and complain about him.

Bob
AnswerID: 512562

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 16:08

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 16:08
Western Australian Consolidated Regulations

[Index] [Table] [Search] [Search this Regulation] [Notes] [Noteup] [Previous] [Next] [Download] [Help]
ROAD TRAFFIC (VEHICLE STANDARDS) RULES 2002 - REG 70

70 . Pairs of lights

(1) If lights are required under the Vehicle Standards to be fitted to a vehicle in pairs —

(a) a light must be fitted on each side of the longitudinal axis of the vehicle;

(b) the centre of each light in a pair must be the same distance from the longitudinal axis of the vehicle;

(c) the centre of each light in a pair must be at the same height above ground level; and

(d) each light in a pair must project approximately the same amount of light of the same colour.

(2) Subrule (1) applies to a motor bike with an attached sidecar as if the sidecar were not attached.
FollowupID: 790997

Follow Up By: Member - Duane A (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 16:12

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 16:12
I was pulled up near Northhampton so there or Geralton id say .As for sucking it up and following the law that's all good and dandy and laws have to be in place but to bend over and touch ya toes on every law that's made doesn't work for me .So until some logic is behind the single light bar installation ill follow it up and not just suck it up .
FollowupID: 790998

Reply By: allein m - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 16:07

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 16:07
I was stopped by the Yunta cop few years back after replacing my main lights to HD globes and he complimented me on my initiative on going put and spending money to make our trip from Adelaide to Broken Hill safer by improving vision

So many drive at night at speed he said with poor lighting

he was doing a normal license check and commented on how white the lights were and I explained to him what we bought he seemed impressed

this case is crazy you are basically doing the same thing

great incentive to make your car safter?? was the cops name Homer Simpson?
AnswerID: 512564

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 16:50

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 16:50
My light bar is made up of 24 separate led, 2 rows of 12. Does not that comply with fitted in pairs and symmetrical. I have been formally told that it could comply. Not a lot of help, but will be my defence if stopped.

Neil
AnswerID: 512565

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 17:43

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 17:43
Of course it does, but if you get a ticket you face the lottery of magistrates court, and the associated waste of time. If you argue the toss with the police officer, they are very likely to get narky and give you a hard time in some other way. I wish I could deal with people who annoy me the way the police do! (Well perhaps not like they do in Victoria!)

Bob
FollowupID: 791010

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 18:34

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 18:34
Sorry Neil & Bob,

You need to understand the definition of a "Light". It is an assembly of components that together produce a "Light Fitting" or appliance.
The fact that the light source within comprises a number of individual LED elements does not make it more than one "Light".

Consider a Traffic Light. It has maybe 50 LED elements within, but it is still only ONE Traffic Light is it not? Trying to argue otherwise is not only being a "Bush Lawyer" but is futile. Try it in front of a magistrate.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 791013

Follow Up By: Rockape - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 19:01

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 19:01
Bob,
you aren't kidding there when you say shut the (something) up. I got up an officer of the law in Raymond terrace over a blown headlight bulb
many years ago and ended up in handcuffs. Man did I back peddle from that point.

He was nice about it and added about 4 unworthy trailer tyres to the fine.

FollowupID: 791016

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 21:41

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 21:41
Allan, I can see where you are coming from, but go back to my example of the Discovery light assembly; it comprises several different globes each with its own reflector. "It is an assembly of components that together produce a "Light Fitting" or appliance." To me thats the same as the light bar; several different globes each with its own reflector. Show me where the law defines the light as you have and how it differentiates between the light bar and the Discovery light.

Bob
FollowupID: 791028

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 22:31

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 22:31
Bob, Your Disco has two such composite light assemblies symmetrically arranged left & right so it conforms to the regulations. A light bar contains a linear array of LED emitters producing an essentially unbroken light source.

I would not be inclined to argue to a magistrate that my "row of LED's" constituted separate symmetrical L&R lights unless I had Geoffrey Robertson QC as my Counsel. LOL
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 791035

Reply By: MAVERICK(WA) - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 18:21

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 18:21
and it's only a couple of weeks since the Commish told his officers to stop picking on the petty rubbish and concentrate on the "real" criminals............then we managed a murder a day for a week and then a heap of traffic deaths and...............looks like you and your combo are up there with the "real" crims of WA. Wonder if he was the same traffic bloke who did a lady for running with her pram last year..........now that was inventive. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 512571

Reply By: allein m - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 18:59

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 18:59
Duane A did you receive any demerits ? for this
AnswerID: 512575

Follow Up By: Member - Duane A (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 23:57

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 23:57
no demerit points taken just two golden gliders . Ill pay for my sins but these blokes were on a war path out side binnu road block two marked cars one unmarked flash for cash the lot happy WA day .
FollowupID: 791045

Reply By: Member - VickiW - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 21:09

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 21:09
Perhaps they are preparing for the end of the Mining Boom by pillaging the booming local tourist industry instead.
AnswerID: 512583

Reply By: Bazooka - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 23:28

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 23:28
Officious police do nothing for the profile of the force, and as someone has already said even if he's wrong you have to put in a lot of time and effort to get some small redress.

Certainly follow up with WA regulators, but also try this bloke. Ask him when will the Australian Motor Vehicle Certification Board be amending the ADRs to allow a single light bar, and why has one state (Qld) apparently changed its rules but others haven't. It's an absolute nightmare for people travelling interstate, especially when you have to deal with an occasional prig.

Steven Hoy
Vehicle Safety Standards Branch
Department of Infrastructure and Transport
GPO Box 594
CANBERRA ACT 2601

Fax: 61 2 6274 7979
Email: standards@infrastructure.gov.au
AnswerID: 512595

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 23:43

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 23:43
It's about time police got "officious" with illegal 4wds, with massive lifts, huge wheels, no sway bars, illegal HID lights, etc.
Although some seem to think it, they are not above the law!

FollowupID: 791043

Follow Up By: Member - Duane A (WA) - Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 00:00

Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 00:00
Sounds like a personal issue mate.
FollowupID: 791046

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 08:21

Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 08:21
Not at all.
FollowupID: 791056

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 20:13

Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 20:13
Maybe, maybe not Shaker. ADRs are developed for safety reasons (among others). I don't know stats but anecdotally I reckon there wouldn't be much to indicate that most such mods do any significant harm. And I'd hazard a guess, based on what I've read on here, that a proportion of people towing would be "illegal" in some way.

But if I was asked to choose I'd say an officer intent on following the letter of the law would do better to chase the vehicles you're talking about than someone who is actually trying to improve safety with a light bar - after he (the policeman) read up on every regulation and ADR available of course.
FollowupID: 791125

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 16:09

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 16:09
An aspect of ADR's is the time frame for something to become compliant and it almost becomes a joke , perfect example is LED light bars and HID , HID driving lights are legal yet HID conversion kits for your normal headlights are NOT , that is unless you go to the trouble of fitting lens washers and wipers ,,,, bout time that the ADR's were updated in line with technology and that anything ADR compliant in any 1 state is also compliant throughout the rest of Australia,,,
FollowupID: 791460

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 20:36

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 20:36
WRONG!
You are not allowed to have driving lights on when confronted by an oncoming vehicle.

FollowupID: 791488

Reply By: Member - kym111 (WA) - Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 00:10

Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 00:10
Duane
it won't make you feel any better, but there's a new chief of police in Geraldton, and he's decided we're all going to get fined for crossing over the line into the cycle lane on the road. It has created an uproar with the locals... Does that mean the cyclists aren't allowed on the main carriageway seeing as the vehicles aren't allowed in the cycle lane? This is the petty sh** we now have to deal with in our town.
Good luck with getting answers to your questions! :-)

Kym111
AnswerID: 512600

Follow Up By: Member - evaredy - Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 12:18

Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 12:18
Why does it bother you that you can't cross a cycle lane?

It's just like you can't drive on a footpath, does that mean all pedestrians can't cross the road?

Cyclists have the same rights on the roads as anyone else, try riding in traffic one day and you may have a better understanding of what it's like.
FollowupID: 791089

Follow Up By: get outmore - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 10:05

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 10:05
I really hope one of your family or friends isnt killed because some idiot wants to drive down the cycle lane........
[
FollowupID: 791427

Follow Up By: Member - kym111 (WA) - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 23:10

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 23:10
My apologies for offending anyone, it wasn't my intention.

I have used the said cycle lanes when I have ridden a bicycle with my kids to school and back again (more than once). Personally I prefer to use a (dual use) pathway, than the cycle lane on the side of the road as my children are young and not always the best of riders. A dual use path isn't always available. I am also a 4wd owner and user.

Yes,there are times when a driver does cross the white line into a cycle way. Some roads in Geraldton don't have turn-off lanes, or double carriageways, and at times if we wish to be considerate of traffic flow behind us when a vehicle is turning off, we take alternative action and travel into the cycle lane and around the stopped vehicle. Of course, if there is a cyclist in the said lane, we do wait until they've gone past.

I'm not one for travelling constantly in the cycle lane, although I've seen it done by others.

Please don't shoot me for making a comment about a random act that I'm sure most of us are guilty of doing at some point in our driving lives.

And yes, it does annoy me that cycle lanes are provided for cyclists, yet some of them prefer to ignore them and ride on the roads and hold up the traffic for miles. Consideration goes both ways...
FollowupID: 791497

Reply By: BarryR1 - Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 00:22

Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 00:22
There’s a reason Duane. It’s clearly written in the laws of your state just as it is in any other state. You chose to breach the rules and now you want to whinge abpout it. It’s exactly the same as putting a 5” lift on your vehicle without telling the insurance company and then decrying them when they won’t cover you because you broke the terms and conditions once you’ve had an accident!

How about doing something constructive and make a submission to your local member of parlaiment about the unfairness of it all and show why it should be OK to have as many lights as you want plastered all over your vehicle! God knows the police could be doing something more constructive but you’re making it easy for them and then complaining about it.
AnswerID: 512601

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 00:31

Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 00:31
Of course, there is an easy, conforming way to legally use light bars............

Fit two smaller units, left and right.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 512602

Follow Up By: BarryR1 - Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 00:37

Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 00:37
AMEN....Common sense prevails.
FollowupID: 791050

Follow Up By: Member - Duane A (WA) - Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 00:59

Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 00:59
Well done goody two shoes dont bitch when they bust you for your ridged two way arieals on your roo bar. if there Are any soft serves involved with conversation its you pair of gallas .get a life and read between the lines i posted this to warn other people looser.
FollowupID: 791051

Reply By: get outmore - Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 02:23

Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 02:23
judge dredd does not live in wa

wa police are NOT the law

howvwer they can fine you for whatever they like

if you want to challenge it in court where the law IS

its your right

it will either pass or fail depending on the cost of your lawyer

thats the cost of living in a "free" country
AnswerID: 512603

Reply By: Member - evaredy - Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 12:11

Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 12:11
I have not read all posts and I agree the law is the law, BUT...

I find it stupid that we have to have two separate lights on a lightbar. I fail to see how it makes any difference.
If you are driving at night and an oncoming vehicle off in the distance has it's spotties/lightbar on, you cannot tell what it is until it's close enough and by that time the lights would have been dipped anyway. Placing a piece of black tape in the middle is going to make no difference at all.

So the law maybe the law, but sometimes it needs to be challenged before they are updated/changed.

AnswerID: 512629

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 15:25

Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 15:25
People for years have maintained that Qld is 20 years behind the rest of Australia , LED light bar legislation in QLD just goes to show how far behind the rest of Australia is when it comes to the uptake of new technology and using a bit of common sense,,,,,
AnswerID: 512643

Reply By: GimmeeIsolation - Sunday, Jun 09, 2013 at 19:16

Sunday, Jun 09, 2013 at 19:16
Member - Duane A (WA) posted:
Well done goody two shoes dont bitch when they bust you for your ridged two way arieals on your roo bar. if there Are any soft serves involved with conversation its you pair of gallas .get a life and read between the lines i posted this to warn other people looser.

Build a bridge.
Each state has different laws just as we wonder how Canberrans can have massive V8's with blowers and fatties on the car legally.
I know how you feel a bit, that run up the coast if you do get pulled over their language and demeanor is disgusting from the outset and I say bugger all to them but I don't get booked because the car complies.
But, if you are going to call somebody a loser you need to spell it correctly but you did make me laugh so good on you.
Goody two shoe , soft-serve Gallah's who are loose.
That's a ripper, c'mon, make up and have a laugh. Life's too short.
AnswerID: 512854

Sponsored Links