Burrup Peninsula

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 23:08
ThreadID: 102631 Views:3844 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone tell me if it is still possible to see the rock art on the Burrup Peninsula? How accessible is it? (We have young kids). Is Dampier the closest place to camp or are there places you are allowed to free camp?
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mike g2 - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 00:06

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 00:06
hi Carolyn, can definitely see rock art in Karratha/Burrup/ Dampier area. much was cleared away for the original and more recent gas/oil/industrial development and left to one side. some is fenced for protection. some degenerated due to exposure to elements. obviously may require clambering over rocky terrain where the young ones are concerned. see the local shire info office for info, locations or Google 'rock art, Pilbara region'. should also be able to get info from tourist bureau. Burrup is about a 20-30 min drive out of Karratha and worth a look at the gasworks as well. fair bit of construction and big vehicle traffic also. only 'free' camp anywhere near that I can see is Cleaverville beach about 30k N of Karratha heading towards Wickham.( per camps 6 ) it has reasonable facilities and is low cost -open may to dec. I haven't actually seen it myself. other areas mentioned nearby in camps 6 are only picnic or parking-no overnight.
some reasonable c/van parks in Karratha itself. as general accom in area is hard to come by and worth $, I doubt if you could bush camp-but check with shire (ranger).
area is worth a visit from my own experiences.
MG.
AnswerID: 512685

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 00:29

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 00:29
The Roebourne Shire does not allow any free camping, mainly due to a problem in the past with squatters. There are two low cost campgrounds on the coast. Cleaverville is to the north and 26 kilometres from Karratha and the 40 Mile (Gnoorea Point) is to the south and 56 kilometres from Karratha. There are no amenities with dump and sullage points only provided. Not close to Karratha, Main Roads WA provide a number of roadside rest areas with pit toilet and dump point suitable for overnight stays only.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 512686

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 06:21

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 06:21
Dampier still has a small transient park. It used to have a max 3 night stay but not sure if that has changed. Bob
AnswerID: 512688

Reply By: Dreadnought - Saturday, Jun 08, 2013 at 17:34

Saturday, Jun 08, 2013 at 17:34
There's some rock art within an easy walk for young kids on the way out to Hearsons Cove. Hearsons Cove is on the way to the gas plant on the Burrup Peninsular but you don't go as far as the gas plant. The turn off to Hearsons Cove is on the right and signposted, you can't miss it. Go along this road for about 2.2kms and you will see a track off to the right ( if you hit bitumen again, you've gone too far). Turn down this track and it will open up to a small carpark, you can then follow a walk trail for a hundred metres or so and it will take you to a small valley type thing where the rock art will be. Keep your eyes open, once you see one and know what you're looking for, they're everywhere!! We used to take all our visitors there when we lived there and they were all impressed. It's only another 1.1kms along the Hearsons Cove road until you get to Hearsons Cove which is well worth a look.............Good Luck!
AnswerID: 512792

Follow Up By: Carolyn R2 - Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 23:48

Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 23:48
Thanks so much for all theadvice, Really looking forward to getting there in a couple of days. BTW has anyone camped on any of the islands? I understand their are tour groups that will drop you off and pick you up.
FollowupID: 791650

Sponsored Links