Dogs - Ute Canopy Mods

Submitted: Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 17:53
ThreadID: 102653 Views:14791 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys. I apologise if this has been covered before. I did search but could not find anything relevant.
I have just purchased a Falcon RTV and fitted it with an ARB canopy with sliding side windows (preferred a Carryboy, but could not justify the extra cost).
Anyway, now taking our two labradors with us so plan the following;
1) Install a CO carbon monoxide alarm
2) Install a roof fresh air vent - ram air. Not interested in the whirly exhaust vents as when I had them some 20 years ago, they were very noisy.
3) Monitor temperature (prob using a wireless weather station)
4) Possibly installing a camera so to view them when they are asleep.
Thoughts and suggestions welcomed.
ps. Just purchased a 15' 1978 Viscount Explorer pop-top. Can't wait to head off.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rip64 - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 19:32

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 19:32
Two questions - why dont you just put security mesh in window openings and have windows open a bit and second - why do you want to watch your dogs sleep ?
AnswerID: 512753

Follow Up By: HeyCharger - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 19:55

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 19:55
Very valid questions.
1) I'm obsessed re carbon monoxide poisoning..ie death. There has been cases where people sleeping in the back of a car have died because of CO poisoning. Hence the CO monitor I'm installing. Right now, I don't know the airflow patten re the windows and low pressure could suck in the exhaust gasses.
2) Basically, I like to see movement everynow and then due to my obsession re exhaust gasses.
FollowupID: 791251

Follow Up By: HeyCharger - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 23:26

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 23:26
Sadly, the "SILENT KILLER" has struck again;
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-05/camping-tragedy-prompts-call-for-gas-bottle-alarms/4734194?section=tas
FollowupID: 791274

Follow Up By: hey_charger - Sunday, Jun 09, 2013 at 20:30

Sunday, Jun 09, 2013 at 20:30
Again;
http://www.skynews.com.au/local/article.aspx?id=878582
FollowupID: 791394

Reply By: Member - Broodie H3 - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 20:08

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 20:08
Hey charger,
I had a canopy on a Mitsubishi Ute many years ago and took the dog out on one of my weekend treks,out the back of Mullewa and by the time we got to our destination the poor bugger was covered in red dust and so was everything else in the back of the Ute, from then on he travelled in the front with me until we got home , I wound up putting two air scoops in the front of the canopy and had no more dust problems until I sold it. The air scoops should also solve your carbon- monoxide issue too with out being too heavy on the pocket. as for the camera do you really need to watch your dogs that closely as I have found over the years that dogs soon let you know if they are uncomfortable while travelling. The other good thing I have found while travelling with pets is you get to stop more often that you would otherwise. Enjoy your travels and the van.
Regards
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 512754

Reply By: Albany Nomads - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 23:10

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 23:10
Hi Charger
I have a RA Rodeo Dual Cab Ute with a flexiglass canopy and Im a dog lover as well.
The window in mine are the hinge type as against sliding type (whilst hinged windows are a lot more versatile for getting goods in and out the back..sliders are more versatile for dogs) ..As such..
I had my windows tinted on the ute and the canopy to reduce heat and also installed the larger of the scupper style roof vent
Kind RegardsJohn /Albany Nomads
AnswerID: 512764

Reply By: D-Jack - Saturday, Jun 08, 2013 at 10:43

Saturday, Jun 08, 2013 at 10:43
That all sounds good. The other thing you could think about would be an ECG monitor attached to the dogs whenever they are in the ute to keep track of their heart, and a registered vetinary nurse to sit in with them to montitor their vitals. The best one would be the type that look after ICU type patients as they are higly skilled.

Me personally, I'd stick with a scoop type pressure vent and keep an eye on them in the rear vision mirror.
AnswerID: 512775

Sponsored Links