Forester towing 1400Kg. How good?

Submitted: Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 22:10
ThreadID: 102655 Views:3726 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We have a Forester base model no SLS. Fore aft pitching when towing was uncomfortable. We were towing at vehicle spec limits. We changed rear suspension shock absorbers & springs to Self LevelingSuspension as for better specified models, and the change in towing capability was remarkable. If Subaru accepted Load Distribution Devices as OK for Forester, I would not bother with using one now we have the better suspension.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: member - mazcan - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 22:34

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 22:34
hi martin c1
I think the magazine 'caravan world'
did a tow test on the subbie some time back
if you go on their website and look back through their rd tests you will locate it
www.caravanworld.com.au
cheers
AnswerID: 512759

Follow Up By: martin c1 - Saturday, Jun 08, 2013 at 18:48

Saturday, Jun 08, 2013 at 18:48
Thanks for your comment, I went there, and was so interested that I read the handbook again. Generally I tow within statutory speed limits, and have had no sense of instability, even when being overtaken by a B double with an oblique cross wind blowing. Perhaps the handbook should also advise keeping 10% towed weight on the ball. Best regards, marty.
FollowupID: 791312

Reply By: Ross M - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 23:01

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 23:01
Martin
The base model, as most vehicles, would have shockers rated for the vehicle only and not for any additional load and caravan forces.
Most, if not all fore/aft pitching is a direct result of the shocks not being able to control the mass transfer as it is applied and removed by the action of the vehicle/caravan combination on the road.

Probably the self levelers, same as my daughters Forester has, would be a vast improvement over the std shocks as they are designed to level and also rated far more suitably to your use.
People might get away with a bit of rear end sag, but if the shocks aren't matched to the task then there is no ability to have much control over a rig and it does what it wants to do. ie pitch.

Most new fantastic utes don't have shocks rated for towing big vans and same happens to them.

Ross M
AnswerID: 512761

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Saturday, Jun 08, 2013 at 12:04

Saturday, Jun 08, 2013 at 12:04
Hi Martin,
I had the same problem with the pathfinder when we brought it and had to upgrade the shocks and springs and even after all that I erred on the side of caution and had air bags fitted too, I don't have any towing problems now. Evan the Nissan service bloke told me to do it after my first service but I didn't listen until after we did our first shake down run before heading to Lake Eyre, I had the suspension upgraded that quick it wasn't funny. all is good now.
I hope this eases your mind some what.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 791292

Reply By: Jayfoz - Saturday, Jun 08, 2013 at 14:38

Saturday, Jun 08, 2013 at 14:38
We just did a 7,000km holiday towing a Jayco Dove (approx. 1,300kg) with our Subaru Forester (2009 non-turbo model) that has the self levelling suspension. We had no issues either with it sagging at the back and was quite impressed by the fuel economy (10.8L/100km).
AnswerID: 512785

Sponsored Links