Dog minding swap

Are you considering an extended holiday but don’t know what to do with your dog/s? Me too! I love my dogs (2 toy poodle X’s) but I also like to travel and would like to do a 2-3 month trip sometime in 2014. I’m wondering if there’s anyone else out there in the same boat who would be interested in swapping some dog minding? Depending on where you live, I may be able to mind your dogs in your own home if preferred, or otherwise in Melbourne at my place. I’m willing to travel as far as NSW or SA for the right doggy holiday home. My dogs are taken for 2 decent walks each day, are on a raw diet, basic obedience trained and very respectful and affectionate. Your dogs would be very well cared for and given plenty of exercise and attention. Please get in touch if this sounds like something you’d like to explore further.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 06:56

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 06:56
G'day Scout99
Have you considered people who house sit? Try http://www.housecarers.com
My wife & I do house/pet sitting and have looked after dogs, cats, birds, chooks, ducks, geese, barramundi, horses etc OH and the homes they come with.
We travel full time in our caravan (with 2 Bichon Frieze dogs) and pick and choose places to go.
We have been in Berrigan NSW since January looking after a home for some people who are caravanning their way around Australia and are due back on June 30th. Then we are heading to the Gold Coast to do a little house/pet sit. Then down to Mudgee for the ACC National Muster in October and back to the Gold Coast for another pet/house sit and THEN who knows.
Good luck with your Plans
PeterM (Qld)
AnswerID: 512937

Follow Up By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 07:11

Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 07:11
Sounds great Peter! Have you ever had any problems? We have just had a lovely couple minding our place while we had a 3 week break. They were previous visitors who put their hand up for the job. Cheers Toni
FollowupID: 791588

Follow Up By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 07:18

Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 07:18
That link to housecarers doesn't seem to work either. Toni
FollowupID: 791590

Follow Up By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 07:42

Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 07:42
G'day Toni
Try this http://www.housecarers.com/
No we haven't had any problems. Most of the people we have sat for have left us with detailed instructions and their mobile phone numbers & email addresses.
Regards
PeteM
FollowupID: 791594

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 08:46

Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 08:46
Housesitting has worked very well for us. As well as our house we have a few farm animals and our very special border collie. We miss her company when we are away but for a number of reasons we would not take her travelling with us.

We use the Aussiehousesitters site here. Over the years we have had a number of sitters, all lovely folk who have looked after our home and our animals really well. Often they have been folk who are travelling around the country - being in Canberra for a couple of months or more gives them a chance to have a really good look around.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 791595

Follow Up By: Lyn W3 - Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 10:09

Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 10:09
Val,

Just wondering what the going rate for house sitting is as we have a similar situation with small acreage

Thanks
FollowupID: 791601

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 11:57

Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 11:57
There is no rate, it is a free service.
We also have a small acreage with livestock & our Golden Retriever.
We have used house sitters on several occasions & couldn't be happier with the arrangement, they have all looked after our property extremely well.
Basically, they get to experience a new area & get free accommodation & a holiday & we get peace of mind knowing that our property is safe & our dog is being looked after in his own environment & not cooped up in a boarding kennel.
Some mean home owners make them pay for power, phone etc!

FollowupID: 791610

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 12:32

Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 12:32
Lyn, its as Shaker said. No money changes hands, although a few years ago it was customary to charge for power (or a part of the power use) and phone. That seems to have changed over the last few years though.

Having said that, I have seen one or two housesitter sites were the sitters get paid - maybe that's fair enough if the homeowner has special requirements or a lot of work to do - then again I have heard stories from friends who have done sits for no payment but they seemed to work very hard at it. There is a "farmsit" site as well, though Im not sure whether there is some payment involved in that case.

If you Google "housesitters" you will find a number of sites and you can see their rules there. Some sites ask a registration fee from people who want to become sitters. That seems a good idea as it sorts out those who are serious about it. Sitters then are listed on the site with some info about themselves, when they are available etc. As a homeowner we can then choose a few who look suitable, and contact them through the site. Last time I found that I only got a couple of people interested people out of the 20 or so that I contacted (most people don't want to come south in the winter for some reason, and many are booked up 12 months ahead). Then you can have a chat by phone or Skype before making a final choice.

We have a kit of instructions, contact number etc and a son who lives not too far away who can be contacted if the need arises.

Its all pretty straightforward and a win-win for both parties.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 791614

Follow Up By: scout99 - Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 18:36

Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 18:36
Thanks for the suggestion, Peter. I would definitely consider house-sitting, except that I have a housemate so it's not an option for me at the moment. I'm guessing there's other people out there who either can't or don't want to have people stay in their home to care for their animal/s and, like me, feel it is asking rather a lot of friends or family to care for their animals for such a long stint. Hopefully, I'll make contact with a few.
FollowupID: 791628

Sponsored Links