Conqueror vs Kimberley camper trailer

Submitted: Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 12:45
ThreadID: 102694 Views:16303 Replies:8 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking for a serious off road camper trailer suit two people and extended travelling. I think I have narrowed down to Conqueror 440 or Kimberley Platinum. Interested to hear comments on both or if there are other similar campers you may recommend.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Darren H1 - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 13:00

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 13:00
Phil,
have you thought about the Ultimate, we have one and couldnt be happier. Easy set up light weight and all mod cons you could need.
AnswerID: 512890

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (WA) - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 13:10

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 13:10
Both the Ultimate and Tvan will afford just as good if not better off road durability but are lighter and more agile.
AnswerID: 512892

Reply By: Member - Brian A (QLD) - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 13:18

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 13:18
Hi phil123
I had an Ultimate for 5 years and it never missed a beat! they are a great product and I would recommend them to anyone. I only got rid of mine and bought a Kimberly Karavan because an injury left me unable to use my left arm to lift the bed area.
Regards
Brian
Brian Adshead

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 512893

Follow Up By: Member - Ivan (ACT) - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 15:55

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 15:55
Love the Offroad ability of the Ultimate, but hate that the kitchen is 'inside' - I reckon the best aspect of most campers is the outside cooking areas. How do you find that aspect now that you have transitioned?
Cheers,

Ivan
2008 D4D Prado

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 791458

Follow Up By: Member - Brian A (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 13:40

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 13:40
Hi Ivan
One of the strengths of the Kimberley Karavan is that it has two systems. It has a diesel powered cook top inside and a gas stove on the outside, so the choice is yours! I find the diesel really good in cold and inclement weather and the gas stove good during the summer months. The diesel burner is also used as an internal heater and a hot water heater as well. It works really well for us 'Oldies' who like a little comfort!!
Regards
Brian
Brian Adshead

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 791523

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 17:30

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 17:30
Since about 2010 or 11 the Karavan also comes with an optional complete outside kitchen - it might even be standard with an option to regress, not sure. It still has the inside diesel cooktop for those miserable days.

And just to clarify for the curious, the burners for the cooktop and the diesel water/room heater are separate - you don't have to have a hot hotplate to keep warm!

Agree with Brian - once you need a bit of comfort, don't want canvas but still want to get out there, they're fabulous.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 791538

Reply By: Member - Lisa & Peter (NSW) - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 16:07

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 16:07
We love our echo4x4 kavango, similar layout to the bigger conqueror and very capable offroad, we did cape York last year including the old telegraph track and frenchmans track towing it. It is heavier than an ultimate or tvan, but very comfortable and goes anywhere if you have a good tow vehicle. Perfect for the two of us but is also capable of sleeping 4 when required.

Cheers

Lisa
AnswerID: 512904

Follow Up By: phil123 - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 16:38

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 16:38
The lack of sitting space and table inside is my main concern. Sitting outside when in cold and rain down south puts me off. How did you manage this? We would not use the second bed and would rather make some other us of this area. Love to hear what you think.
Phillip
FollowupID: 791463

Follow Up By: Member - Lisa & Peter (NSW) - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 16:59

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 16:59
Hi Phillip

We use the main "dining" area as our bed, but it can be a dinette if you like to sit inside, and its very easy to fold the other bed area out at the front. So far we have never usedthe table inside as we love to be outside by the fire even if its cold. We spent a month in Tasmania this summer and had some cold nights. We had a good look at the conqueror UEV490, but felt the kavango to be better value for money, and a little more aerodynamic to tow (200mm lower in height).

Good luck with your purchase

Lisa
FollowupID: 791469

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 17:47

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 17:47
As I see it, the two you mentioned are not the same concept - the KK is a top-end hardfloor camper while the 440 is a camper / caravan hybrid. The 440 offers are lot more in the way of accommodation and extras ($58,000 would have to get you something more of course:-o). We used to have a Campomatic hardfloor trailer - that was very good, but I'd consider the KK Platinum a jump up from the Campo - the 440 seems another good 'jump' again - for extended traveling that includes hard-to-access places, the 440 seems hard to beat.
AnswerID: 512914

Reply By: Jos - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 22:20

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 22:20
I'm also looking at those exact two options. I've found it a tricky choice because they're quite different. Anyway, I again spent ages at the Brisbane Caravan Camping Show inspecting both, and have decided on the 440.

My "personal" reasons:
Less canvas
Better storage - plus space and ability to custom fit extras for my needs
Extras are easier to fit at a later date eg. extra water tank etc.
Extras like adding a Weber won't break the bank (it fits on a shelf) - I think KK charging $1200 to fit a Weber Baby Q a rip-off and insult.
As it has a hard body - better for security when away from campsite and at night.

Also, I currently have a hard floor camper - used mainly for two people. I find that for us the fold out hard floor area is dead space. We tend to just dump our clothes there and would never use it for a little table and chairs.

AnswerID: 512932

Follow Up By: Jos - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 09:15

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 09:15
Forgot to mention a few other factors.

KK can have a camper to you in under 2 months, with UEV Conqueror you're looking at more like 4 months+. This could be an issue.

Secondly, without any first hand evidence, I'd probably feel more comfortable with the KK after sales support - just because they've been around for so long. I think their warranty is also better, if this is a factor for you.
FollowupID: 791504

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 10:21

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 10:21
I can't comment on KK after sales support, not having had any dealings with them. However as the happy owner of a UEV 490, I have been very impressed with their after sales service which is second to none.

I won't buy into the main thread as I have no experience with the 440, however I will note that the bedding gets significantly disturbed at each closing up which could be an issue for some.
FollowupID: 791506

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 18:12

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 18:12
I can comment on KK after-sales support.

My experience has been excellent. I have always had fabulous service and warranty response from the factory and my dealer, Express Campers at Unanderra.

And response to emergencies in the outback is a benchmark for others, I believe. A trailing arm bush bolt failed up in the Kimberley, fortunately only a few km from Kunnunnurra, and in the process mangled the substantial bracket to which it was attached, screwing the wheel alignment. We limped into to town. Express and the Kimberley factory between them organised a local engineering works to do the repair and told them what was required. In 24 hours I had my van back, good as new. It was outside the warranty period, but cost me nothing.

Kimberley products are expensive, but if a Kamper is on your short list, well, you could do worse.

No affiliation, just a very satisfied customer.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 791546

Reply By: Shaker - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 09:31

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 09:31
We had similar parameters to you & ended purchasing a Vista RV Crossover.

AnswerID: 512941

Follow Up By: Gronk - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 18:54

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 18:54
We have had 2 KK's and while we were very happy with them, we looked at the Vista, but went for a cheaper Adventure Trek AT10 ( now called Lifestyle, even though they bought out Adventure Trek a while ago )

All about speed of setup and no canvas for us....and low weight...( ours is less than 1500kg's fully loaded )
FollowupID: 791553

Reply By: The Landy - Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 22:55

Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 22:55
Quite a few years back I tossed up between a KK and a TVAN - I bought the KK. Eventually sold it and bought a TVAN and it wins hands down. Mind you we got some great use and trips out of the KK, but the TVAN is better again, in our opinion!
AnswerID: 513022

Sponsored Links