Pedders problems

Submitted: Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 15:02
ThreadID: 102697 Views:4330 Replies:15 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone, thanks for the good work to keep the place running. Enjoy the info..
Anyoe else had an issue with Pedders? Just got some (too much) work done there and had a pretty ordinary experience. Axle seals bashed in with a small socket instead of a prpper tool by the looks. Diff locker pipe bent and broken etc. Really ordinary response too - no apology, just denial. I have the parts - easy to see the damage and cause. Any suggestions on how to make some headway?
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 15:24

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 15:24
Interesting. I am going to be booking my Cruiser in for suspension upgrade and lift at local Pedders. They seemed ok to me. What state you in Dick??? Don't want to get caught out.
AnswerID: 512898

Reply By: DickandKez - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 15:29

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 15:29
WA - Midland - give it a miss I reckon.
AnswerID: 512900

Follow Up By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 17:49

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 17:49
Cheers for the heads up Dick. I've been talking to Joondulup, and they come across as ok.
FollowupID: 791472

Follow Up By: Member - Grundle (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 19:55

Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 19:55
Try Ashley at AC4WD centre,10 Muris plc Midvale. 0421678107.Very trustworth.Does all my work.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 791631

Reply By: Ross M - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 15:34

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 15:34
Dickabd Kez

Photographs any suspect areas/parts so you have a record of it. Make sure your camera has the time and date stamp set correctly so it, when attached to the file as you take the picture, places the event shortly after the problem. Also find a similar sized socket so you can use it as an example of what was used ie same sized imprint cause.

I would then ask at Pedders,
1. who actually worked on your vehicle?
2. What is the qualification level of that person? ask to see the certificate, if they have one.
IF, big IF here, they can present with something, then ask why a presumably qualified person would fit parts in such an unprofessional manner.
3. Do not talk to anyone but the person who runs/owns the franchise as they are ultimately responsible for the monkeys actions in the zoo.

Depending on what the BOSS says and his attitude you can then explore other channels of enquiry.

I know of Pedders actions from some other people and they seem not to employ mechanical workers who know much. The business is focused on "Rip out the perfectly good parts and Fit" their alleged superior products and not at all focused on repair and maintenance.

Having seen some of their "work" in the past I am not impressed.
I never refer anyone to Pedders for the reason you have experienced, unacceptable workmanship.

Ross M
AnswerID: 512901

Reply By: DickandKez - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 16:17

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 16:17
Thanks Ross
Showed the second in charge fellow the bits and made sure they have my details. No contact yet, so will try the owner (think he's the owner) next time I get a chance to go that way. Worth noting they replaced the LH seal twice as it leaked within a few weeks. No charge for the replacement (They said "The seal let go" - think they wanted me to think it wasn't their fault) I see why it let go now. Looks to have been smashed in there........ Certainly won't be going back to pay them anything more without a fairly good apology and some cash back.
Thinking about your suggestion, I'll make a single document out of it - dates, receipts, photos etc. Then I can publish it or share it if need be.

Cheers
AnswerID: 512906

Follow Up By: Ross M - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 18:01

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 18:01
DickandKez

Seals Don't "just let go" there has to be a perfectly good mechanical reason why another seal was required so soon.
Obviously they don't have the skills to find the fault and barely have the ability to apply BAND AIDS.

I used to work with a bloke who is now the mechanic/adviser/seller at a Pedders. I wouldn't want him touching my vehicle and that is NO BULL.

I have frequently asked about products and having had some experience in the field I find an "aloof superior ignorance" is the impression I get each time. Maybe it is just me and my DH detection working overtime.
FollowupID: 791476

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 16:22

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 16:22
You gotta love Pedders , remember the ads ? "NO BULL" , until they were caught out big time by the current affairs programs years ago ,, totally unnecessary work and replacements performed after their 'free 30 point suspension safety check' on vehicles that needed no work at all ,,,,,
AnswerID: 512908

Follow Up By: Member - OnYaBike - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 18:03

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 18:03
Yes I remember that investigation. The cars they checked were supposedly unsafe to drive without urgent work. And it was more than one Pedders franchise they visited. They were ALL bull at the time. You would have thought they had lifted their game. There are probably only a few rogues about now, but they all get tarred with the same brush if one is caught out.
FollowupID: 791544

Follow Up By: Ross M - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 20:32

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 20:32
The same people still work at the same franchises though, that is worrying.
Character overhaul anyone?
FollowupID: 791567

Reply By: mountainman - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 17:28

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 17:28
PEDDERS ALBURY.

nothing but good quality advice, and service.
mainly suspension safety check, and the wheel alignment.. work i have them do.

you will find in any trade, the good and bad.

you have options with ACCC, or a local ombudsman if not worked out.

you could also go to its states head office, like i did with a company i had issues with..
AnswerID: 512913

Reply By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 17:54

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 17:54
Thanks everyone............now that's really thrown a spanner in my works!!! LOL Not sure now as to whether I should contemplate letting them do the work on my 200. It could prove to be an expensive mistake if the cock it up. Hmmmmmm...............
AnswerID: 512915

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 13:55

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 13:55
hi arsenal phil
why don't you go to ----west coast suspensions ----
they have a very good reputation and quality products
they have been in perth since adam wore shorts
cheers
FollowupID: 791525

Follow Up By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 19:46

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 19:46
Cheers Mazcan, I'll maybe give them a call. What area are they in?
FollowupID: 791561

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 22:20

Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 22:20
hi phil
188 railway parade Bassendean
www.jenkin.com.au
they also do gvm upgrades on several vehicles including lc200
FollowupID: 791646

Reply By: Rockape - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 18:49

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 18:49
D&K,
you are not dealing with pedders but with a franchise owner. I believe the only way you will get any help is by contacting pedders direct with your gripe and the evidence.

You may then get some satisfaction. Best of luck.

I have my own views on the franchise where I live but I won't go there as they are only a franchise and not the company.
AnswerID: 512919

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 18:59

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 18:59
Would not go anywhere near a pedders franchise after what they did to my Hilux a few years ago. Never ever again.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 791478

Follow Up By: Barbera72 - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 19:09

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 19:09
True you are dealing with a franchise owner but when I contacted the main office they refused to help me. Years ago I got a quote for my wife car then when she picked it up they inflated the bill of almost double with lots of absurd excuses and a very dishonest attitude. I'm sure not all Pedders are so bad, but based on the response I had from the main office I would not recommend this business.
FollowupID: 791482

Reply By: DickandKez - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 19:21

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 19:21
Thanks all,
Will take it up with owner at next available time. Was thinking of standing outside the place with a sandwich board Dominos style!! Maybe a picket line? Any other legal suggestions appreciated....

If I was a farmer I'd deliver some bul*&*it to the front door...

Cheers
AnswerID: 512921

Follow Up By: Ross M - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 23:27

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 23:27
DickandKez
Perhaps you could get a misplaced BULL seal to bite them on the bum.
FollowupID: 791498

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 19:23

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 19:23
There was some history in the mid/late 2000's where a bloke had his Pedders franchise virtually stolen from him. Theres not a lot of that material left on the internet.

There are many..many.. items about alleged over servicing of Peddars on vehicles safety checks. Use your keyboard and some nouse and make your own assessment.

I wouldn't send a dog there for a haircut..having working in the auto industry a while ago.

Sure there may/would be some genuine franchisee's and employees in there, but the whole system and previous actions certainly taints them.
AnswerID: 512922

Reply By: wizzer73 - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 21:21

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 21:21
I have had minor work done at both wangarra and joondalup peddars with no problems and good service. Not all peddars are the same.

wizzer
AnswerID: 512928

Reply By: bks - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 22:15

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 22:15
I got a great price from pedders for new shocks, springs and air bags. Put the car in then got the phone call to say they had found $2800 worth of problems with the Prado.

Fortunately I had taken the car to my regular mechanic to find out what was wrong with the front end of the car. After putting the car on the hoist, He identified the front shocks were leaking oil. After I told him the price from Pedders he said he could not match it and to go with them.

So after the pedder phone call, I knew they were giving me a good price for the new suspension to suck me in to have the rest of the work done.

They were not very happy when I had them said to just do the quoted suspension work.

Shortly after I had to replace the front tyres at another place and had them look at the steering etc which pedder claimed was shot. They couldn't see anything wrong.

Any way the bottom line was I had the suspension done for a great price, very very happy with the ride. I think the pedders product is very good, just don't get sucked into the marketing.

AnswerID: 512931

Reply By: Batt's - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 23:22

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 23:22
Try an ombudsman. My GQ patrol started pulling to the left which wasn't a wheel alignment problem so I took it to pedders I said when you find the problem give me a call with a price and I'll give you the go ahead to fix it and asked them to grease everything while it was there. When they rang later on they said it's ready to pick up I went it expecting it to be fixed they didn't grease anything and gave me a quote for over $2,000 to replace all worn bushes , tie rod ends ,drag link etc, etc but they didn't know if that would fix the pulling to the left problem. Well I done the tie rods ,sway bar bushes drag link etc myself for a lot less it still pulled to the left I went to a local mechanic and didn't even take it inside & he said put a new steering damper on it if it doesn't help it would be the king pins. Well new steering damper fixed it Pedders didn't even mention the steering damper or king pins ok they found things that needed replacing but they still can't tell you why a car pulls to one side and their prices are ridiculous when compared to other brands. I'll never go back just stick to local mechanics who know what their doing.
AnswerID: 512934

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 04:38

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 04:38
I had a good experience from Pedders in Bendigo. No over servicing sorted out motor home suspension that was too hard for anyone one the previous 3 years. Had a problem with a bolt that they bottomed out on thread so not quite as tight as should have been. Organised the fix in another state no cost to me.
It is all about who runs/owns the franchise.
Send photos to top of Pedders tree.

Neil
AnswerID: 512935

Follow Up By: Ross M - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 09:56

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 09:56
You were very lucky there, buy a Tattslotto ticket it too may be good.
Having a problem with a bottomed bolt shows very bad/poor skills.

A proper mechaniic just doesn't ever do that.

Where was the bolt? on a vital part?

Bolting of items is either correct or incorrect, there is no "not quite right' in suspension safety.

Agree the product may be good, most if not all the stuff is bought in and resold and is available from other sources.
FollowupID: 791505

Follow Up By: Neil & Pauline - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 11:44

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 11:44
My problem was it was not something to be bought off the shelf which is why I had great difficulty getting anyone to fix. Had new coil spring made of thicker wire. Not really rocket science but needed someone that would actually calculate what was required, something that most motorhome manufacturers don't do.
I agree not good workmanship to bottom out the bolt but then that was the employee not the boss/owner.

Overall I was very happy with final outcome because of the interest of the owner.

Neil
FollowupID: 791513

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 23:00

Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 23:00
Not all Pedders are the same. Quite a few years ago I thought I would do favor for my old man when I noted his CV joints were gone. Pedders did the job. He was pleased and took off on a trip only to have a catastrophic failure due to oil not being replaced. Pedders denied any liability, but they were the only ones to touch it.

Bob
AnswerID: 513076

Sponsored Links