What are the rules/regs re campfires?

Submitted: Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 18:31
ThreadID: 102700 Views:2321 Replies:2 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks

Planning an extended outback trip (3 months) covering QLD, NSW, SA & NT. Can anyone advise how to find out if a campfire is OK. Is this matter covered by State regs or local council re collecting firewood and indeed having a campfire at all. I would imagine a lot of places I stop could be rural properties and where possible I would ask the landowners permission but as most of you would be aware you can't be sure if indeed you are on private property or not. I know Parks and Conservation areas are usually no and that is no problem but I must admit nothing beats a good old fashioned fire at night.

Thanks
Arlo
Arlo

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 18:54

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 18:54
Hi Arlo

In most rural and farming areas campfires are prohibited in summer months as specified by the local shires. There may be some exceptions in specified campgrounds, but never on a high risk or fire ban day. You can contact me through my profile for a list of links about campfire rules and times in each state, or Google “For more information about fire safety and prohibited burning times in each state” to find the same.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 512920

Follow Up By: Arlo - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 19:02

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 19:02
Thanks
My trip will be during this winter/spring to avoid the summer heat. I will contact you re the info and appreciate the reply.
Arlo
Arlo

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 791479

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 02:58

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 02:58
Hi Arlo
an old rule of mine regarding camp fires" if in doubt put the bloody thing out" never started a bush fire but have fought a couple.
happy camping
broodie
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 791500

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 12:17

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 12:17
That probably a bit late isn't it Broodie?
Shouldn't it say.....When in doubt, don't light the bloody thing in the first place?
Doesn't rhyme as well I know......
FollowupID: 791517

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 13:40

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 13:40
While poorly extinguished campfires have caused bushfires, some large and very devastating, many of these fires shouldn't have been lit in the first place. Those who have read my campfire safety article will know that we experienced a fire in a campground due to foolish camp fire lighting and lack of clearance.

We choose not to have campfires due to our extreme fire safety cautions, but do not dictate what others can do in areas when it is safe and legal. However some campers seem to think that signs saying "no fires" or "no campfires" does not apply to them.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 791522

Follow Up By: Gronk - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 18:42

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 18:42
I will normally avoid places I can't have a campfire..

Of course, fire bans excepted..

Spuds in the fire....a camp oven...marshmellows for the kids....and the most important bit.....keeping warm.....really, almost the most essential part of camping !!!
FollowupID: 791552

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 12:46

Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 12:46
hi broodie
yes I love a good camp fire but
I think your approach is full of risk
here's my angle on it regarding camp fires

if in doubt
don't get your fire lighter out
then there will be no risk
and no fire to put out
cheers
FollowupID: 791615

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 18:56

Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 18:56
To all me thinks you are missing my point the first thing you light to start a fire is a match or a cigarette lighter, if in doubt put it out, the match is what I am referring too, doubt and out sort of rhyme, at least I think so. LOL Happy camping all
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 791629

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 22:16

Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 22:16
hi broodie
me thinks your trying to crawl out the fire
lol
FollowupID: 791644

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 10:43

Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 10:43
Hey, Mazcan, You only think, I know, I run out of fires, there is no crawling whatsoever, Lol
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 791669

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 01:14

Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 01:14
G'day Arlo,

I think it sort of depends on where you camp.

We try to camp where we know we can have a fire. We do most of our cooking on the fire if we can.
If we think we are camping in an area that might be popular to camp, or a National Park, we grab some firewood before we get where we're going. Often any camp ground, or area, that is well known will be struggling to have enough firewood for the night.

The time of year you're camping would almost need a fire and you shouldn't have any fire bans.
If you're sensible you shouldn't have any problems in most areas either gathering or burning wood.

Steve

AnswerID: 512980

Sponsored Links