Safe Diesel fuel

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 19:36
ThreadID: 102722 Views:3230 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
I'll be doing a fair bit of outback travel on the blacktop. Emerald to Darwin then down to Alice Springs including Uluru, Adelaide etc. Are there any diesel fuel stops along the way I should avoid. I don't need any complications with my new VW transporter. What is the best way to to obtain good fuel. Most advice has been to look where th large trucks fill up and I'll try to watch for that but are there some places to avoid. Nick H2
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: racinrob - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 19:54

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 19:54
No guarantees on getting clean fuel where ever you go Nick. I fitted an after market filter set-up (CAV) with sediment bowl and carried spare filter elements, this removed the worry of getting a tank full of contaminated diesel in some remote servo although on your proposed trip you shouldn't have any worries.

rr
AnswerID: 512962

Reply By: Idler Chris - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 19:57

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 19:57
Use a Mr Funnel. Its the only way to be sure. In some countries it is illegal to pump diesel for some time after a tanker delivery. In Aust they allow you to pump while the tanker is unloading. I would want several hours to pass before I would like to pump from a just filled tank.
Tip 1; If you stop at a servo, do food and toilet FIRST and fill up on they way out so that if they had a delivery just before you got there at least its had more time to settle.
Tip 2; When you are getting low look for fuel tankers that may have just been to the servo you are about to stop at.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 512963

Follow Up By: Nick H2 - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 20:13

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 20:13
Thanks guys, all good tips I will follow. Any others welcome.
Tanks Nick.
FollowupID: 791564

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 20:34

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 20:34
x2 for Mr Funnel Nick. Worth every cent, check this out.

They trap the nasties and don't restrict the flow at all.

You can get bad fuel in the city and I haven't come across much nasty fuel and we've been to the most remote servos in the country.

Have fun.

Steve
FollowupID: 791568

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 22:29

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 22:29
I also have a Mr Funnel and use it if in doubt of the fuel quality.
However it does significantly slow the filling rate even though mine is the high-flow tandem-element model.

Perhaps Steve above was referring to restriction of fuel flow with additional on-vehicle filters?
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 791580

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 01:06

Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 01:06
G'day Alan,

when we've used the Mr funnel we've never had any trouble having to wait for the fuel to run through. It's always been quick and easy.

I remember the bloke at Kunnarwarritji wgroa when we pulled it out but he was impressed that the filters didn't slow up the funnel at all.

Good to have clean fuel out there but, having said that, I'm not doubting the quality of the fuel there. It's just to be sure.

Steve
FollowupID: 791584

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 09:22

Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 09:22
I'm at a loss here Steve. Are you saying that your funnel will take the flow with the bowser nozzle pulled full-on?
Is my funnel faulty?
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 791598

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 09:39

Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 09:39
We had no problems at all.

I'll have to check it's the same brand but I'm sure it is. My mate and I share it and it's at his place at the moment.

We just put it in the vehicle filler, pulled the trigger on the nozzle and in it went.

I was surprised when we first used it but it is great.

Steve
FollowupID: 791600

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 16:14

Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 16:14
I have the F15C model Mr Funnel and it has a flow rate of 45 litres per minute. While some of the newer 'slow flow' diesel pumps are too quick for the funnel, it is more than adequate for the older 'slow flow' pumps. The biggest issue you may have to deal with adapting it to fit into your fuel filler point on your car.

You can get the Funnel from Proquip and a great carry bag from Punkin Head Air Sports.
FollowupID: 791621

Reply By: Idler Chris - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 20:35

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 20:35
The chances of getting contaminated diesel is just the same in the city, the country, and the outback. Because of the volume they pump truck stops are safer, but if there are no trucks filling when your there maybe there has just been a delivery. I have a Toyota 100 series TD 2006. I cannot use a CAV filter because they restrict the fuel flow which can affect performance and fuel pump lubrication. Be very wary of anything you add to your fuel system in most late model diesels. Denco Diesel make a water separator which is OK and Terrain Tammer make a fuel filter/water separator which also is made for the late model vehicles. There maybe others. If in doubt talk to a qualified diesel mechanic.
Tip 3; If you go into an area that is flooded or has been flooded recently be very wary. Servos in elevated positions are safer than ones in low areas.
Am I paranoid about getting bad diesel - you betcha
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 512968

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 20:38

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 20:38
Your VW would most likely specify at least 50 cetane diesel for your transporter (they do with our Tig). So you'll find most VW enthusiasts have a preference for BP diesels - the BP Ultimate is 52 cetane while the normal truckstop diesel is 51 cetane.
Australian standard is anything from 46 up - Shell guarantees 49, but as far as I can determine none of the others publish a number.

So my preferred places are BP truckstops. But most likely any truckstop that has a bunch of trucks parked will be OK. Small places who turnover little diesel are to be avoided.

Out of interest, my wife's Tiguan has a motor thats half the size and a diesel fuel filter that is twice the size of our Landcruiser. The Europeans do some things better than the Japanese sometimes.
AnswerID: 512970

Reply By: Member - Wamuranman - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 21:02

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 21:02
I have never heard this before until about 2 weeks ago but I will share it just in case it has some merit.

I went to fill up and the tanker was there filling the tanks. The diesel pumps were partitioned off while this was going on. I parked and went to ask tanker driver how long he would be. Whilst talking to him I mentioned my concern about pumping diesel just after he has filled the tanks. He said its not the filling of the tanks that is the problem but using the high flow pumps - they are so powerful they suck up the sediment and rubbish from lower down in the tanks. His point was never use the high flow pumps for a smaller vehicle (regardless of whether the tanks have recently been filled or not). I know all the big trucks use the high flow pumps but maybe they have very good filtration systems.

Just sharing what this driver told me from his experience.

AnswerID: 512971

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 22:12

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 22:12
Last month I had a similar experience - the local BP truckstop was getting filled by a tanker, so I stopped and asked the tanker driver whether it was OK to fill my tank. He said there were so many filters and water separators in the system, there was no chance any sediment would get through. Anyway, I went home and filled up another day!
FollowupID: 791577

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 10:48

Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 10:48
It's not so much the sediment that will cause grief as any good quality filter should take out any particles large enough to damage pumps and injectors. The filter element will block and reduce the fuel flow to the point where performance will drop and the filter will need to be changed. Having said that continued driving without a filter change can also cause fuel starvation and damage.
The problem with water is that also being a fluid like diesel, albeit with a different specific gravity, is much harder to remove and most filter systems can only warn of it's presence by using the difference in specific gravity or electrical resistance.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 791608

Reply By: Odog - Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 15:42

Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 15:42
Hey guys, I have a mate that delivered fuel for shell, for 25 odd years, he recons the pick up for the pump in the tanks are floating, and don't suck fuel below a certain height from the tank... Just thought I'd put in my 2 bobs worth, I am also looking at the mr funnel, you here to many stories... Costly stories! You would think they could incorporate a pre fuel tank filtering system, in the manufacturing process on such sensitive new vehicles... One more thing, a friend brought a new vw passat? Told it was German... Wasn't happy when I told her, it was actualy made in Mexico! Food for thought. Cheers odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 512996

Sponsored Links