Trail-a-mate Engagement Fitting

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 14:30
ThreadID: 102734 Views:4778 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I am trying to get my Trail-a-mate engagement fitting attached to my caravan prior to heading north next month.
I am supplying the fittings that the jack comes with and have had a quote for $200.00. That sounds excessive to me for a few welds. Is there more to it than that or is that a 'fair' price?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Skulldug - Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 17:12

Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 17:12
Gary,

I don't believe it's a fair price. I was quoted something similar for a sat tv bracket (same as a jockey wheel) around Adelaide. I finally got it done as well as another small job for $60 at an engineering business in Millicent. I am also happy to leave my dollars in country towns. Perhaps try to have it done on your next trip?

On a slightly different topic - my Crusader caravan came with a Trail-a-mate as its jack. I have played around with it and found it can get my Prado 150 with a 2" lift almost as high as my High Lift jack can. It also works with the wheel bracket and is not as scary as a High Lift to use. They are a great device.

Skull
AnswerID: 513001

Follow Up By: garytee - Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 17:17

Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 17:17
Thanks Skull. I thought It seemed high.
Yes - they are a brilliant accessory to have. I think they are made over your way.

Gary
FollowupID: 791625

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 23:33

Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 at 23:33
If your van is a Jayco it's a very fair price. The conventional van chassis has a heavy cross member behind the axle that extends to the side of the van. The brackets supplied with the Trail-A-Mate are designed to be welded on the bottom of this cross mamber (a few dollars worth of welding.) The Jayco and European chassis do not have a suitable cross member to weld these brackets below. If your van is one of those it will require structural additions that are strong enough to take the forces imposed when jacking your van.

What type of van do you have?
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 513023

Follow Up By: garytee - Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 10:37

Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 10:37
2012 Discovery Outback 18'6''.
FollowupID: 791667

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 13:51

Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 13:51
Jayco is the answer to the extra cost. They have a well engineered chassis. However they have provided a jacking point under the chassis behind the springs. The chassis design did not include provision for jacking the van at the outer perimeter so if you want to do that you need to add additional structure to take the stresses of the Trail-A-Mate.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 791677

Sponsored Links