Dingo attacks woman on Fraser Island

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 21:31
ThreadID: 102756 Views:2324 Replies:4 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
This may be of interest for visitors to Fraser Island.
Not all Fraser dingoes are dangerous but some certainly can be.
If threatened by a dingo you should...........
• Stand still at your full height.
• Face the dingo, then calmly back away.
• Do not run or wave your arms.
See here for more information.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Penchy - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 08:48

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 08:48
Looking a dog in the eyes is showing the dog you are the alpha male. Looking an angry dog in the eyes is not going to end well, especially if it is a wild dog. I personally would not follow the above advice.
AnswerID: 513087

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 09:49

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 09:49
What action would you adopt Penchy?
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 791747

Follow Up By: Penchy - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 10:43

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 10:43
I'll make the assuption that I'm a fair bit more agile than most on this site, and going off past experience, dogs don't like being kicked in the head. So that would be my course of action. If my safety is threatened by an angry dog, I'm laying the slipper in as hard as I can.

For the less agile people, I would do what the women did and make for the water and drown it.
FollowupID: 791751

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 11:24

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 11:24
Gday,
I agree, Eye contact is challenging their alpha status and if they were the type of dog to have a go this would certainly set them off.
Don't let them get close enough to start.......if they come towards you scare them off. Throw rocks, sticks, sand even pretend to throw stuff but let them know your a threat and keep them at a distance.
If they still keep coming grab a stick, sink the slipper, cut its throat do whatever ya good at.......

Cheers
FollowupID: 791753

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 13:25

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 13:25
The advice was not for "eye contact", only to "face the dingo", but it is a bit difficult to take your eyes off a menacing dingo.

I here add the final line of the QP&WS advice from my link above ........
"If attacked, defend yourself aggressively.
• Strike the dingo with an object such as a stick or backpack."

Maybe read the link?
It may be expected that they have some more expertise in the Fraser dingoes than some "armchair experts".
"Heading for the water" did not work for the woman in the referenced article!
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 791758

Follow Up By: Penchy - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 13:42

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 13:42
lol relax Allan. I didn't infer you didn't know what you were talking about. I just said I would pursue your course of action if I was under the same situation as the woman in the article. Stop being a grumpy old bugger and call everyone "armchair experts".
Eye contact, or facing the dingo is irrelevent. The dingo will take it the same way.
And I did read the link, maybe if she hadn't of stacked it she would have made it to the water. Also the article did know state the events that led up to the attack. Did she provoke it? Was she trying to feed it? Did she show it a picture of you? lol.
You quote QP&WS above, but you advise people to back away slowly. I know what I'd rather do.

God people on here get worked up over nothing.
FollowupID: 791760

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 13:50

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 13:50
Funny thing Penchy, Allan was just quoting what the National Park guys were recommending basically word for word.
FollowupID: 791762

Follow Up By: Penchy - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 13:54

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 13:54
ahh righto. I didn't bother reading that flyer word for word.
FollowupID: 791763

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 14:00

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 14:00
Relax yourself Penchy and carefully read what I posted. Being misquoted makes me grumpy.
The advice was entirely from QP&WS, not mine.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 791765

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 14:58

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 14:58
Keeping in mind the real experts have to give advice based on political correctness and cant advise to do things like scare them off or some idiot will do it in a 4x4 or sue them when something goes wrong. Not to mention the greenies........
My advice to my kids has always been chase them away, throw anything you can get your hands on, show no fear, make lots of noise and never start running.........if they still keep coming fight like hell but don't panic.
FollowupID: 791770

Reply By: member - mazcan - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 12:13

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 12:13
hi
last time i got chased by a lion he was getting really close I could feel his hot breath on the back of my neck
but then he slipped and fell down !
at that very moment I woke up from my african safari dream
I would hope the same thing would happen if I got chased by a dingo
cheers
AnswerID: 513106

Reply By: Rockape - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 14:37

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 14:37
Alan,
Always have your wife with you to protect you from a menacing Dingo.

They can pull at minimum a big bore hunting rifle and up to a rocket launcher out of their handbags. My wife's handbag is like a Tardis.
AnswerID: 513115

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 14:48

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 14:48
Rockape,
The first time on Fraser was 1985 and a pair of dingoes eyeing-off our four-year old son got a response from my wife!!!! She didn't need a rocket launcher. The photo below belies her strengths when it comes to protection of her children!
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 791768

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 09:31

Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 09:31
I cannot retire from this argument leaving the "alpha male" comments unchallenged.

In searches for "Dingo behaviour" I found numerous references from groups with established expertise on dingoes. Almost all recommended "maintaining eye contact" in dealing with a threatening dingo. NONE made reference to avoiding eye contact or to "alpha male" response.

I would therefore consider the advice given by the QP&WS and other experienced groups to be a valid and safe response.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 513149

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 11:00

Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 11:00
Gday,
Dingos are generally pack animals and usually attack from behind, in packs and more often than not attack young or weak animals. They aren't like lions which have balls like elephants and attack straight on knowing they have the power to do say they pull things down on the run or wait until they cant run.
Therefore keeping eye contact keeps them at bay for longer while they look for a better avenue for attack. The minute you turn and run your free game.
This is the reason for "maintaining eye contact".
What Penchy is saying is looking into a Male dogs eyes is threatening his Alpha male Status, which is true and if you haven't got the balls to take him on head on you may picking a fight you don't need.
Dingos don't come with operating manuals and dogs, bitches and pups will all react differently at different times and situations so any advice from "professionals" is generic and written for all sorts of different people.
I think all Penchy was saying is he would react a bit differently than the QP&WS guide lines and pointing out that direct eye contact may not be a good idea?

"I would therefore consider the advice given by the QP&WS and other experienced groups to be a valid and safe response." Yeah.....possibly is in most cases........

Cheers
FollowupID: 791821

Sponsored Links