When you do a pre purchase vehicle inspection for someone yourself!!?

Submitted: Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 18:34
ThreadID: 102765 Views:2413 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
"
And it Backfires!!....What a B.....tard"......thought i knew a few things but Jeez you can get caught!, Daughters Suby! , after having one of near the same model for 15yrs and no problems, hers turns out to be a nightmare, although it has a few ks up 200,000, i had a long drive in it , jacked it up, ball joint, brake pad, body panels, electrics, radiator,autotrans,all seemed ok, after the first week a horrible noise started in the front of the engine, turns out it had just had the timing belt done but thats all they did belt, not a kit and a idler bearing failed, just assumed they would have put a kit in, not all of us are the same!,....she said it was surging a bit, so pulled the not very old fuel filter off and it was clogged with black crap, pulled the tank out mongrel job!, and it was filthy,... a host of other things, but nothing that could be picked from the outside!....It had Great service records from previous owner done and stamped by subaru,....Yeah Right!!.....Might mention this , its the second time i've witnessed dodgy service records from a dealer, .....Or someone that knows a dealer..LOL Books mean nothing to me ,..... I guess its always a gamble, I've always taken things at face value including people, but maybe my luck is running out.

Cheers Axle.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 19:59

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 19:59
G'day Axle
I know we have discussed this issue in the past and many have asked or expressed an opinion about dealer records.
Some believe, and won't waver from and fully accept service records as valid without question. Sometimes they even go into bat for the dealer who they are having problems with, very puzzling.

It appears to me that proving which service books are actually a true and correct record of what has been done on a vehicle is an impossible task.
In no way does the service book ever prove what was actually performed on the vehicle.
The service book system has more loopholes in it's processes than anything I know of.
I have never in my life ever bothered to look at a service book for any reason as it means nothing, proves nothing and is their to satisfy the believers for the benefit of the seller.

If everyone supports the same delusion, then there is no problem, or is that dill usion.
Taking things at face value is a good trait, but which one of their two faces do you look at.

Ross M
AnswerID: 513127

Follow Up By: Axle - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 20:24

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 20:24
Lol!Ross M,....Always liked your take and slant on things.....Dillusion..Hahaha,....Customers having trouble with a dealer, and go into bat with them?....And agree at even my age which face do you trust??..

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 791794

Follow Up By: fisherPete - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 21:52

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 21:52
Not all dealers are like that, boss wanted the local ford dealer to stamp a couple of missed services, but they refused. Got to respect them for that.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 791799

Follow Up By: mike g2 - Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 10:37

Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 10:37
HI all, dodgy dealers hey? how about this- got caught with a duel fuel ford a few yrs ago, got RAC pre inspect. noted a few things such as fitted with a low pressure radiator cap but didn't advise of the significance. all fixed + correct pressure cap installed. some miles later..big truck behind..sudden loss of power..nearly run off road.
turns out its an excellent way to hide a leaky/rusted gas converter ( hot water from radiator preheat gas before injection) . cost about $500 to fix. by the way, warranty doesn't cover gas side of duel fuel.
MG.
FollowupID: 791820

Follow Up By: Ross M - Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 17:36

Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 17:36
Mike g2
I'm sure your Fraud was a dual fuel unit.
Unless the petrol side of things is also working against the gas side of things then it is dual fuel and not duel fuel. Duel is as though fighting with swords or pistols at 10 paces. Dual wheeled truck tyres don't fight each other.
I say this because a friend wanted to buy an 80 series Toyo and it was running very poorly, wouldn't idle and blew black smoke.
The two fuel systems were switched on at the same time and fighting each other and it truly was a DUEL and DUAL fueled.
Since then I always see the difference between dual and duel as it can be truly be both, although that isn't what most people mean.

Cheers
Ross M
FollowupID: 791832

Reply By: Rockape - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 20:37

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 20:37
Axle,
lad was going to buy a Nissan Godzilla. The car looked immaculate in every way.

Talked the lad into taking it to a very good local mechanic. For a couple of hundred dollars he gave a very negative report. He really new performance vehicles.

When Holden in Mackay had a problem with a vehicle that they couldn't fix, they would send it to him. He tuned many of the performance vehicles from old school carby's to the latest injected chipped vehicles.

That mechanic has sold his business and moved to South Australia. If anyone comes across Grant Pratt to do your mechanical work grab him, Mackays loss it is your gain, he is one switched on mechanic.

AnswerID: 513129

Follow Up By: Axle - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 20:54

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 20:54
Fair enough RA, never to old to learn!..lol.... Still gives me Mega Chits though!,....lol.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 791796

Reply By: howesy - Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 00:01

Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 00:01
Ahhhh, yes I always make it damn clear that I can only tell you if there is wear evident at that moment but its impossible to know what is happening inside an engine , anything can let go at any minute from fatigue, cracks (in your case a job half done)
and the parting comment is purchase at own risk and I don't want to know if it stuffs up.
AnswerID: 513139

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 08:31

Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 08:31
Isn't this the same as not using a solicitor when buying a house. You find out a freeway is going in across the road or a "not welcome" religious sect is building next door. "But the Real Estate agent said all was clear and as far as he knew, that they had changed their mind". Year right. What's a few thousand dollars in hundreds of thousands of dollars. Nothing.

I checked the sons car for obvious things and to see if it was safe to drive and then he immediately took it to a mechanic and paid for an inspection. What's a few hundred dollars in thousands. Nothing.

Bad blue mate. I hope it turns out okay though.

Phil
AnswerID: 513143

Sponsored Links