Lockrite

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 16:58
ThreadID: 102793 Views:1808 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Who has lock rite diff locks are they any good any problems ???
Want to put them in the front diff of my 07 triton
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: landseka - Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 19:11

Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 19:11
I had Detroit Lockrite lokker in the front of my 75 series cruiser, loved it. In the rough with hubs locked it was almost unstoppable.

In your 07 Triton you will have problems as it is constant 4 wheel drive. The Lockrite will cam out on turns but it is very uncomfortable and clacky (noisy) and if you touch the throttle in a turn they will lock up & you suddenly go straight! Not nice.

You would be better with an air lokker in the front & put the Lockrite in the back.

Cheers Neil
AnswerID: 513212

Follow Up By: garrycol - Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 21:50

Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 21:50
A detroit is a different brand of lokker to Lockrite - both are auto lockers but different brands and a bit different in their operation.

A detroit is far superior.

FollowupID: 791908

Follow Up By: garrycol - Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 21:52

Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 21:52
As Neil said - a auto Locker like the detroit or Lockrite cannot be fitted to the front of a constant 4wd as you cannot steer. Same as when a part time locker is activated in the front of a 4wd.
FollowupID: 791909

Reply By: Mark O4 - Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 20:37

Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 20:37
Hi.
Lockrite is sold through 4wd Systems in SA. Detroit Lockers are a different system out of USA just so there is no confusion.

Cheers

Mark
AnswerID: 513215

Reply By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 20:45

Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 20:45
Russel,
I have had a Lock Right (note spelling) in our 80 series for 13 years and it is great. Admittedly it is parts time 4wd but when hubs are locked, it too is nearly unstoppable. A little bit noticable in turns but only a minor inconvienence. It would be especially good in an independent front suspension.
The good thing is that they are actually auto UNLOCKERS but stay locked when the need is there.
Note re spelling. The original one were, and maybe still are, made in USA but I believe there was a Chinese made copy that was spelt something like "Loc Rite". I am not saying they were not good but the American one I have has been great.
AnswerID: 513216

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Kerry W (QLD) - Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 00:00

Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 00:00
Hi Russell,

Have had a Lokka from 4WD Systems for about 8 years in the front diff of a Patrol with manual hubs,... no problems at all and many advantages. I chose the Lokka originally because it is an unlocker and will allow you to turn in sand mud and loose gravel on hillclimbs under power. Very reliable as they are a simple design. If you ring 4WD systems and speak to them they will advise you of suitability for the Triton. They are very helpful. (I have no affiliation with them)
Hope this helps

Kerry W
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 513236

Follow Up By: steve h19 - Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 00:47

Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 00:47
Hi people ,
Had a auto locker in a 80 series a few yrs ago and loved it in the front but took a bit of getting used to throttling off when i wanted to turn
Cheers
FollowupID: 791922

Follow Up By: RobMac (QLD_Member) - Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 03:39

Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 03:39
The Autolockers (or Unlockers) only unlock when there is little to no power to them. As soon as u apply the power via the accellerator, then they become locked. There is a "sweet spot" where they will unlock, but this is when u apply only a little amount of accellerator. I've got Front and Rear Autolockers in my Vitara that is modded for mainly offroading and they work a treat, but when driving around town in tight spots, they can become a PITA in the way the car jerks around a bit. This may not happen on the bigger/heavier vehicles but it is what I found with my Zook
On a recent trip down to Sundown NP, I ended up breaking an axle in the rear of my zook. I put this down to a couple of things:
1 It gets a hard life off road where I take it
2. I believe that driving around on the blacktop all the time with the Autolockers locking the rear also has stressed the rear axles, especially when running larger tyres.

After this experience, I've left the front AL in and have removed the rear and replaced it with an Airlocker, mainly to regain driviability back and because I got it for the right $$
Cheers..... RobM
Defender PUMA 110 "New School Tourer"
Defender 110 Tdi300 "Old School Tourer for Solo Trips"
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 791924

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Kerry W (QLD) - Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 08:06

Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 08:06
Just to clarify, (from my experience) if anybody is having problems with one of these - or if the Lokka is not unlocking correctly under power. (ie if it is not unlocking when one wheel needs to cover a greater distance than the other as when turning a corner even on soft slippery surfaces)
It is likely that the inter cam spacings and/or the spring tensions are incorrect. This is usually avoided during installation by referring to the instructions to ensure that the spacers on the cross shaft are made to maintain a "specific" and "symmetrical" gap between the cam gears.
To Test - If you jack vehicle up (keeping 1 wheel fixed the other free to be tested) the Lokka should be able to be unlocked by turning either wheel by hand forwards and backwards with the same force on each wheel, this check will ensure that it it correctly installed and will unlock under power without excessive understeering irrespective of the size and weight of the vehicle. Bear in mind that the steering will feel heavier while the hubs are in which would make it tricky for lighter full time 4WD vehicles. (I suspect the heaviness may be reduced by paying close attention to the installation instructions).
Again best to ring 4wd systems and ask for a copy of the fitting instructions for your specific vehicle.
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 791930

Sponsored Links