tool boxes

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 14:01
ThreadID: 102838 Views:2296 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
What types of tool boxes do people carry in their 4x4?

I have had one for a few years I bought from super cheap but I need something a bit more organised.

As the number of tool have grown I have a screw driver set, Multi grip set,spanners sets, etc. etc. which don't fit in. What does fit has become a jumble.

I cant fit a large box, so something portable with dividers would suit.

Any ideas appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lyn W3 - Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 15:00

Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 15:00
Ever considered a Tool Roll. Keeps things nice and tidy and in their place.

Tool Rolls

Not affiliated just a satisfied customer
AnswerID: 513383

Follow Up By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 22:30

Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 22:30
My toolbox is the one thing that goes everywhere the truck does I,m afraid....and I used to cop heaps from SWMBO..until one day it was needed...and came to the rescue big time.
Now this toolbox is one heavy muther (about 20 kilos...give or take a few)...but it has everything in it that I might need...and indeed have needed over the years.
Was given to me about the mid 80s by my ex...(About the only good thing she did give me in retrospect...apart from 2 sons..but I digress)..and carries all my normal tools except a multimeter and tension wrench (wrapped separately and stuffed under back seat)...including the aforementioned Minimax spanners from an earlier post.
This box has helped all n sundry out over the years...but is a bloody heavy box to git in and out of truck. But in reality I dont mind a bit coz in that old box is sumthin ...somewhere that I need to fix sunfink!
Oh..it is a ROTA brand one ...with4 cantilever drawers...a big bottom bin and 2 foldover lids that are lockable. The tray pivots have been replaced numerous times...it has riddon on footplates of tractors and headers...done squillions of k,s in toolboxes of assorted semis..and still backs up as my workshop and travelling kit.
Doesnt matter what sort of tools and container yu have...just make sure that you know what to do with them...and look after them.

Cheers Keith
Nothin is ever the same once I own it ...........

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 792125

Reply By: Penchy - Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 15:23

Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 15:23
I have 2 tool bags. 1 for the frequently used tools, and another for the not so frequent. The not frequent bag is stashed up the back behind everything, the other is close to the front.
AnswerID: 513384

Follow Up By: Member - OnYaBike - Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 21:15

Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 21:15
Yep, I use tool bags too. Easy to stash wherever there is a bit of space and don't damage other gear.
FollowupID: 792112

Reply By: Road Warrior - Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 16:42

Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 16:42
After our last weekend away when our AU Falcon wagon left us stranded between Broomehill and Katanning with a dead alternator at 5:30pm on a Sunday, I assembled a little tool kit that covers most contingencies I could think of. To fit it all in, I bought a little red steel toolbox from Bunnings, it was about $30 a 'Geelong' brand. It is 460mm wide x 205mm deep x 170mm high. So small enough to stash in the back of the car and not take up too much room, but big enough to fit everything you want in. The amount of crap I have been able to cram into that toolbox is bordering on ridiculous, including a tow rope, breakdown triangle and multimeter, together with all the stuff that you actually need in there!

AnswerID: 513390

Follow Up By: bks - Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 17:40

Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 17:40
Thats good to hear as I was looking on line at that exact tool box. The 5 trays would help with keeping everything organised.
FollowupID: 792093

Follow Up By: Road Warrior - Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 17:54

Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 17:54
NOT the 5 tray one (well, the one I bought anyway). I simply got the single cantilever tray one and everything gets stashed underneath the tray.
FollowupID: 792095

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 21:40

Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 21:40
I went through the soft tool bag thing and went back to an old steel box like yours. It fits nicely in a drawer in the back and being hard and rectangular it is easy to stash other stuff around and on top of it.

No trays or cantilever things. Just a rectangular steel box, about the same size as road warriors, with a lid. I got it about 30 years ago.

I also have a very small roll of minor tools that lives in the center console. It carries a knife, a few small cutters and plyers, some tape and a small shifter , some tweezers and a multimeter.

Phil
FollowupID: 792117

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 17:22

Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 17:22
I use a zippered toolbag from SuperCheap or Bunnings.
I find the following advantages:
1) It collapses to be only as large as the contents.
2) It can be stowed in awkward places.
3) The tools do not rattle.
4) It does not damage adjacent surfaces.
5) It opens wide to allow easy selection and access of tools.
6) It has generous comfortable handles.
7) It has internal pockets for small items.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 513395

Follow Up By: Laurence W - Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 20:24

Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 20:24
X 2.... I brought mine from "Super Cheap" Fit all that I'll ever use.

Laurie.
FollowupID: 792104

Follow Up By: Candace S. - Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 16:22

Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 16:22
I use a bag too, for all the reasons you listed! Except mine didn't come from Supercheap or Bunnings, LOL. ;)

Stuff sacks (for camping gear) help keep things organized. I keep all my wrenches in one, and all my screwdrivers in another.

To neatly carry a large array of sockets, I use some socket holders.

Though you don't need this in Oz, I also have a "zip lock" plastic bag in there with some common SAE-size wrenches and sockets. These are for use on American-made vehciles or any other things that don't use metric hardware.
FollowupID: 792170

Reply By: bluefella - Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 09:38

Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 09:38
I use a canvas type esky about 15ltr, has a front pocket and a couple of small side pockets.
AnswerID: 513440

Sponsored Links