Trip Report - Mt Disappointment

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 00:00
ThreadID: 10286 Views:5047 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
Just a short report on the day trip to Mt Disso last Sunday 1/2/04.
I have had a few requests about how it went / what happened etc

We had a big turn out there was me and my son Andrew in the Troopy and there was Gary (aka - Garyinoz) on his lonesome in the Kia Sportage.

Diamond piked due to his poor plumbing work finally catching up with him and apparently flooding his house, Toonfish had some family commitments and I don't know what happened to Rob. maybe he heard rumours about me and bog holes and decided he did not want to be near me ????????

I had arranged to meet Gary in Broadford at about 10.30 and we proceeded to Disso via Scanlons Rd I was heading for a good track that I did with Toonie and Diamond last time called Ladder track, the only ladder I could see on the map was called "The Ladder", turned out to be a good track to start with but was not the Ladder track I was looking for.
We had no rain but the tracks were damp and slippery in areas.
Coming out of The Ladder we turned right onto Clonbinane Rd and after scanning the tracks in the area on the GPS/Laptop found the Ladder track starting at the interesection of Pipeline Trk and Clonbinane Rd.

Very steep track with a very deep water rut, Cut up the middle I went first up the widest side being the left side and had no hassles for about 1 km and then found that I had to cut across the rut to get to the right side it was here that I discovered that diff locks are a great invention.
Cutting across at an angle dropped two diagonal wheels in the rut and left the other two on the high spots very slippery area and I was sliding backwards at a diagonal I already had the rear locker on so flicked the switch for the front and immediatly felt the front wheels grab and pulled me straight out, Phew.
Gary picked a better spot to cross and had no problems.
It's certainly easier to follow and watch the front guy get in the bleep first.

We drove around enjoying the scenery and picking a few nice tracks Phone Trk, Phosphate Rd nothing to difficult, stopped at Blairs Hut for lunch (No hut that I could see) after an easy lunch we did Engine Camp Rd, Upper Plantation, Morrisson and found ourselves on Cottrell Rd at about 4 pm.

We just disscussed heading out and home when I spied the unnamed extension of Cottrell Rd and decided to have one last go.
I shall call this track 4 O'clock Trk in honour of the hour that we all seem to think about going home and then decide to do one last quick 10 minute drive down the last track of the day. (You all get the idea)

This track had a mound built up in front of the driveway so to speak, it also had a track around this mound, I recconed that the Troopy would get hung up on this mound so I went around, Gary on the otherhand decided that the mighty Kia could go over and proceeded to do so until yep ! he got hung up in the middle.
To be fair he did have the two right side wheels on the ground but as you all know without lockers all the drive went to the two off the ground and they spun very niceley indeed and he was going no where.
Good visual lesson to my son about what happens in this situation and why diff locks have a distinct advantage as long as you have decent contact with at least one wheel on the ground.
Anyway I turned the Troopy around and wound out the winch and helped the man of the mound. Kind person that I am.

Good track not obviously used much alot of growth adding to the scratches on the Troopy had to get out and roll a few logs out of the way and finally made Watering Crk Rd and decided to cross this road and keep on going.
Another mound in front of this section to but this time I did try to get over myself and yep you guessed it got stuck on the top not enough contact to get drive on any wheel even with diff locks, so out went the winch cable to the nearest tree and easy as pulled myself of the mound.
This section got real steep and we found quite a number of those diaganol errosion drains cut across this track which made it quite interesting as they were also quite deep.
About 3 km down we came across a couple of trees lying down the middle of the track blocking the way and not really wanting to reverse 3 km back up we decided to winch them of to the side out of the way.

I have to say that it is the nice side effect of 4wd in the forest is the number of good trees to attach your recovery gear to (very convenient)
After clearing these trees we proceeded further and yep ! another real big tree across the track.
Gary suggested we build up a ramp either side and go over, my reply was to get the chainsaw out the back and cut it and drag it out with the drag chain.
(I knew I carried that saw for good reason) made the job real easy.

Finally after almost 2 hours we made the bottom of 4 O,clock track, and headed home.
So much for 10 minutes.

A great location, some good company, a good work out for all the gear and the rain held off so all was almost perfect.
This is a great part of the world. I have been there twice now and enjoyed it immensly both times if anyone want to go back let me know I will go with you.

Oh ! the final good point was that I did not have to get snatched out by the Kia.
That would be embarrising.

Regards
John

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 00:19

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 00:19
sounded like a quite day till 4pm hit
lol
good effort all round
ya know we need pics there are some people who would like some pics of gaz being starnded like that on another forum?

was that mound to close the track or just a water erosion diverter .

would love to do the ladder when it is wet

ok cheers to all1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
2 awestruck kids (dads driving!)
AnswerID: 45511

Follow Up By: John - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 00:45

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 00:45
Hi Toonie
We went up the Ladder this time as I was not to keen about an uncontrolled slide in the damp clay all the way down.
I know that Diamond wouldn't worry about that he went down so fast last time (High 3rd you and me Low 1st) I think we lost sight of him real quick. LOL. But it was dry then.

Picture's would be good I don't as yet have a Digital camera.
Must fix that soon.

The mound may have been placed there originally to block access, if so it was done a long time ago as the tracks around them were well worn so it was obvious that the track has seen considerable traffic over the years, just not in the last few weeks/months as the fallen trees showed.

Regards
John

FollowupID: 307590

Reply By: Mad Dog Morgan (Geelong) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 01:08

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 01:08
Great report John. Thanks BEAM ME UP SCOTTY

Hooroo
Ray
AnswerID: 45517

Reply By: Diamond(due to duck season) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 18:17

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 18:17
gday john .
great report sounds like another great dat had bye all.
yes not really good at plumbing i think but its all finished and nice and cool as i type lol.
next time for sure.
cheersdue to duck season coming
ive decided to hide out
love jemima puddle duck
back after the season
AnswerID: 45580

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 18:48

Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 18:48
A belated thankyou to John for an interesting day. Hope to see you for Little Desert trip.
AnswerID: 45724

Sponsored Links