Oodnadatta Track

We're driving a Nissan Patrol from Melb to Darwin and are planning to go along the Oodnadatta Track. Just trying to decide whether to turn off at William Creek and then head down to Coober Pedy or whether to go on to Marla. We're a little short of time.

Could someone please let me know the approx driving times for:
Maree - William Creek
William Creek - Coober Pedy
William Creek - Marla via Oodnadatta

Thanks, Danksy

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Barbera72 - Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 15:06

Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 15:06
I would personally go through Oodnadatta and stop at the Pink Roadhouse. Also plenty to see from William Creek to Marla.
AnswerID: 513463

Follow Up By: Barbera72 - Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 16:19

Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 16:19
FollowupID: 792169

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 17:01

Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 17:01
G'day Danksy. Go to a map site such as Whereis or Google Maps, put in your required destinations and distances and times will be revealed.
Better still click on the towns in your post and then the suggested treks to get the info you require from the EO site.
AnswerID: 513468

Reply By: Member - Tony Z (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 19:03

Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 19:03
Hi Danksy, we did the Track in 09.This was our Trip. Came up from Marree to Coward Springs (Hot Spring - overnight stop) then out to Halligan Point (Lake Eyre) then on to William Creek (gotta see/drink at the Pub) and out to Coober Pedy for a couple of nights (lots to see). From there we travelled out to Mount Barry then up through Arckaringa and the Painted Desert (not to be missed- overnight stop not far on) From there onto Oodnadatta (pink roadhouse a must see) onto Dalhousie Springs (for a nice Hot Spring Bath- overnight stop) then onto Mt Dare (overnight stop talking to travellers that have crossed the Simpson - good food and a bar!) Up through New Crown to Finke onto The Lambert's Centre of Australia then out to Kulgera Roadhouse ( Stuart Hwy) and onto Alice
All depends on your time frame, you will mis the top end of the track but you'll still see a great lot of this country!!
Tony
AnswerID: 513479

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 20:14

Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 20:14
Danksy,
I'd keep your itinery flexible. If you come half way across Australia and then have to rush it all, it might be disappointing.

My suggestions:
Marree - William Creek - we would normally travel from Farina to William Creek in a day to see the mound springs, Lake Eyre South and a few of the old railway sidings like Curdimurka. That's a full day. Spend the night at the pub and bring your earmuffs so the generators at William Creek don't keep you awake.

William Creek - Coober pedy - in all honesty I last did that leg in 1978 and haven't seen a lot of reason to do it again, but I expect it will take 3 hours.

William Creek - Marla via Oodnadatta - sure you can barrel through there and miss the lot.... but we'd normally take in the Peake Telegraph Station ruins and camp a night at Algebuckina waterhole, then move on. See the museum at Oodnadatta. Its a rough track out to peake, so you'd need extra time, ad I'm imagining from your post, you don't have that.

My preference would be to to go via the painted desert, do the walk (about 2 hours)then head towards the highway at Cadney Park.

But its up to you what you want to fit into your trip.
AnswerID: 513483

Follow Up By: David16 - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 17:49

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 17:49
Just a quick update on William Creek, a new generator was installed 5 months ago and now runs much much quieter. Fuel has also dropped to $1.98lt.
FollowupID: 792258

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 21:32

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 21:32
Good news David - thanks for the update
FollowupID: 792272

Reply By: Sigmund - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 21:25

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 21:25
Just a bit of rain can close any of those routes. So devise a Plan B and C and see when you get to the kick off point.

Times are difficult to predict.

The road maybe 4WD only or open to all and there's a lot of diff. btwn those.

SA is good with posting conditions at the start of those routes and roadhouses will post the info. If you're connected on the way look at:

http://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/OutbackRoads/outback_road_conditions/area_3_oodnadatta_track

AnswerID: 513556

Sponsored Links