Travelling to Cape York next year with a dog. How difficult is it ???

Hi All,
We are starting to plan a trip around the middle of next year to Cape York and we normally travel with our cocker spaniel. Hoping to get some input from those that have done this trip if we should leave him at home or take him with us? We free camp a fair bit but realise that up at the tip our options will be fairly limited and understand that it can get quite busy around June, July and August.
Look forward to your advice.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 13:18

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 13:18
Make sure your dog is treated so it resists ticks. No good having a ticking dog, they get paralysed and die if no treatment is close at hand.

Humans can get them too.
AnswerID: 513522

Reply By: Member - Michael A (ACT) - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 13:58

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 13:58
It would probly be quite difficult if you wanted to see alot of interesting areas as they are national parks. I have seen locals with dogs but they generally are caged n going onto private stations. Also crocs seem to have an affinity for a 4 legged sunday lunch.

It may also be better off looking at official sites like the local councils to see what the regulations are in regards to visitor animals.

regards

M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 513524

Reply By: Member - Michael K (WA) - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 15:51

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 15:51
Travelling without a dog; I don't thing so! Travelled to the Cape last year with LabradorX. You must go for it with your dog! Options are not limited travelling to the Cape and at the Cape...your dog will love it!
AnswerID: 513532

Follow Up By: allein m - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 16:32

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 16:32
they also offer some form of security at the camp and other places we stayed at a free camp in NSW on the river our two dogs slept in the car we slept in a tent some time in the night the dogs went ape it turns out some people were stealing items from cars also parked in the area they got to our car and well,woke up the dogs and they made sure they were heard . this was down in the murray river
FollowupID: 792253

Follow Up By: Ian & Sue - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 21:01

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 21:01
We are in agreement with Michael. We took our two boys (jack russells) to Cape York with us in 2010, they and we enjoyed every minute of the trip. We always travel with our boys and would probably not enjoy ourselves knowing they were waiting for us somewhere.

Have fun.

Sue
FollowupID: 792269

Reply By: Member - J&R - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 16:49

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 16:49
Work out where you want to go.
Contact the relevant Council, Land Management Agency etc. There are many opinions, but what is the law?

Regardless on what people tell you that you should be able to because of blah blah blah, or you should be ok we went there and got away with it...

Abide by the rules.
AnswerID: 513534

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 22:23

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 22:23
Christ mate, do you call the police for permission to get out of bed?

It really isn't that difficult
FollowupID: 792281

Follow Up By: Member - J&R - Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 11:36

Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 11:36
No
Just follow the rules.
I guess you see them as flexible
So you're part of the problem.
FollowupID: 792303

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 12:04

Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 12:04
Instead of guessing, stick to the facts. There are many opinions but what are the facts?

Regardless of what you are guessing because of blahblahblah.....

There isn't really a problem.

Abide by the facts instead of guessing.

Ever heard of commonsense? Nobody is suggesting not following the rules. You can abide by rules as well because the two are not mutually exclusive. If people used a bit more commonsense and consideration there would be no need for rules that increasingly dominate our lives.

FollowupID: 792305

Follow Up By: Lyn W3 - Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 12:17

Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 12:17
Sure is nice to know that there is one "perfect one" gracing us with their presence.
FollowupID: 792306

Reply By: gbc - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 18:53

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 18:53
mmmm croc biscuits - excellent self preservation technique taking one or two camping - good idea. Watch out for the eagles too - I've seen them sitting on the roof of a sedan working out how to get in to extract the tasty barking morsel inside. Quite funny at the time because the dog was convinced that if someone let him out he was going to have a piece of them - plucky little dude. I suppose you could make it with a pooch, but seeing as half the cape is National Park you're kind of narrowing your options quite a bit.
AnswerID: 513541

Follow Up By: Nigel Migraine - Sunday, Jun 23, 2013 at 19:42

Sunday, Jun 23, 2013 at 19:42
People who hate dogs always interest me because I'm sure they hate many other things too and they need to be watched.
FollowupID: 792411

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Sunday, Jun 23, 2013 at 23:35

Sunday, Jun 23, 2013 at 23:35
It would be funnier if the dog in the car was a beagle. Then we'd have a thread with an eagle concerning whether a beagle is legal? gbc, even though you never said you hated dogs....we are watching you. I hate brussel sprouts....Nigel, is that a watchable offence?
FollowupID: 792436

Follow Up By: gbc - Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 06:04

Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 06:04
Keep guessing ferrets........
I do like dogs, and I'm a firm believer that there's no such thing as a bad dog - it's the humans attached to the I generally dislike. Camping with someone else's dog isn't high on my list of priorities. Did I tell you about the time I was in the park at Normanton and this bloke had two pigging dogs that erupted every time someone walked by to use the ammenities (every 5 minutes), and then howled all bloody night long......
And yes, they are referred to as croc biscuits for a good reason.
FollowupID: 792441

Follow Up By: Nigel Migraine - Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 09:36

Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 09:36
Dogs, unlike brussels, will return with interest the love given to them sadly the dog haters will never experience this but then... they probably don't experience much returned love from anywhere else either....

Try this recipe:

Brussel sprouts and bacon

2 tabsp olive oil
1 tabsp butter
2 garlic cloves crushed
2 tabsp sesame seeds
3 rashers bacon, trimmed and finely chopped
3 tabsp fresh breadcrumbs
12 brussel sprouts, trimmed
1/2 cup grated tasty cheese

Heat the oil and butter in a small frying pan over medium heat until hot. Add garlic, sesame seeds and bacon. Cook, stiring often for 3 minutes or until light golden. Add breadcrumbs. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden. Set aside to cool slightly.

Meanwhile trim the sprouts and cut in half lengthways. Wash and, with water clinging, place into a dish and cover with clingfilm. Microwave for 4 minutes on high. Drain.

Add bacon mixture, cheese, salt and pepper to sprouts. Toss well and serve.
FollowupID: 792451

Follow Up By: gbc - Tuesday, Jul 09, 2013 at 07:40

Tuesday, Jul 09, 2013 at 07:40
http://img2.catalog.video.msn.com/image.aspx?uuid=9d3b7186-9f9d-4f2e-a069-3a698862be9b&w=128&h=72

How much do crocs prefer dogs to humans and bleeding pigs? Like I said - croc biscuits - they can't resist them.
FollowupID: 793580

Follow Up By: gbc - Tuesday, Jul 09, 2013 at 07:44

Tuesday, Jul 09, 2013 at 07:44
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2013/07/09/05/33/pig-hunters-watch-helplessly-as-croc-snatches-dog

try again........
FollowupID: 793581

Reply By: craigandej - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 22:18

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 22:18
Was last up there in 2006 with 2 blue heelers, no probs on Tele track, Weipa campground, Archer river, Bramwell Junction, Loyalty Beach campground. Even went to Thursday island for a day and the staff at Loyalty kept an eye on the dogs, they were in a ute full cage. Spent a day at Fruit Bat, Eliot falls also kept them in the cage. Only missed out on Lakefield and Chilli Beach that trip. Am going again in July dogs at home this trip so will see those places this time.

Cheers
AnswerID: 513562

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Sunday, Jun 23, 2013 at 19:26

Sunday, Jun 23, 2013 at 19:26
G'day ChrisK,

we travel with our dog and we have no trouble.

Our trip through The Cape wasn't hindered by Rocky.

Be aware of where crocs might be because they are partial to dogs (and humans) but we've found our dog is really a croc spotter.
We've travelled all over the country with him and if there's a croc around he won't go near the water and won't let anyone else near the water, not even the edge of the bank 6 metres up.

You can travel through National Parks but you can't stop with a dog.

Be aware of other campers and keep you dog tied up if it seems like someone else might be upset with your dog visiting them.

Have a great trip,
Steve
AnswerID: 513668

Follow Up By: SAW - Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 08:18

Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 08:18
Dog's are not permitted in National Parks, even if you are driving through without stopping. Have known several people that have been fined in Victoria driving through a short section with their dogs in the back. If you get the right Ranger they might be happy to look the other way if it is clear you are not stopping, but you never know who you are going to get.
FollowupID: 792444

Follow Up By: Nigel Migraine - Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 09:43

Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 09:43
It's drivel like this which make forums like this such unreliable sources of information and SAW tell your "several people" to ask for their money back and then to commence an action against Parks Victoria for Abuse of Privilege - what rubbish:

Page two, last paragraph, left hand column:

http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/535522/Fact-Sheet_Domestic-Dogs.pdf

FollowupID: 792452

Follow Up By: SAW - Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 10:00

Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 10:00
Note the Bitumen road requirement. Many of the main roads through the National Parks are dirt and are not covered.
FollowupID: 792454

Follow Up By: gbc - Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 10:26

Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 10:26
None of which has the least bit of relevance to Cape York which was in QLD last time I checked, and I'm pretty confident that if your pooch isn't an 'assistance' dog, then it's not allowed in around or through a NP up here. Feel free to correct me or call me a dog hater if you wish, but once you've seen the feral animals on the cape you'll understand my 'love and respect' for people choosing to travel with domestic animals in these areas.
FollowupID: 792457

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 15:40

Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 15:40
Anyway ChrisK,

because we wanted to be sure travelling to the Cape with our dog was okay, we asked before we travelled to the Cape. If transitting through a NP dogs are permitted without stopping.
It meant we missed Fruit Bat Falls, as well as Twin and Eliott Falls, which was great shame from all reports, but we really love our little dog.

I'm not sure what we missed out on but we experienced a lot of the Cape for three weeks on the Cape itself.

We had some fantastic bush and beach camps, as well that, the caravan parks up there accept dogs but they have to be tied up. It was a fantastic experience and we can't wait to do it again.

We have learnt from our mistakes and I probably tie Rocky up more than I have to but I give him plenty of room by setting up a run so his lead can run along a rope from a couple of trees. He's curious to sniff everything in the area when we first get somewhere and if someone is nearby he'll pop over to say G'day, so I don't let him unless he is invited now.

It's worth asking the question so you can make up your own mind.

Hoo roo,
Steve
FollowupID: 792474

Follow Up By: ChrisK - Tuesday, Jul 09, 2013 at 10:56

Tuesday, Jul 09, 2013 at 10:56
Thank you to all of you who contributed to my question. Two things have changed since I posted the original question. Firstly we are not going next year now, it's been postponed until 2015 now. Secondly, we feel that we will take our dog with us on the trip up from Melbourne but have since found out that the RSPCA shelter in Cairns provides a boarding service which we think is quite reasonable. Our thought's at this stage is to place him there while we go up the Cape and back so it won't hamper our travels and we know he will be safe and sound and well looked after. It will also allow us to go everywhere we want to as we may never get there again.
Thanks again for all the comments...
FollowupID: 793587

Sponsored Links