How sensitive are you to a NEW noise in your vehicle?

Submitted: Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 19:18
ThreadID: 102881 Views:2013 Replies:8 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I'll admit i'm a shocker at thinking im hearing a different noise in the vehicle at times,. the missus just says" stop worrying", you will drive your self nuts.!...To-day the b/inlaw turns up ".I think theres something wrong with the front wheel on the cruiser", We jack it up and the bloody wheel just flops all over the place!!, Jeeez how long has it been making the noise i ask"?....His reply...'about a week'!....The front wheel bearings where totally shot, and at a stage wear they could have seized up completely causing all sorts of drama,....I think its not a bad thing to take notice of a different noise, Gawd knows what it might be!...lol.

Cheers Axle.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 20:11

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 20:11
Like you mate. A new noise needs investigating.

Phil
AnswerID: 513549

Reply By: Ross M - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 20:27

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 20:27
G'day Axle
I would get a pin and stick it into your brother inlaw. If he feels it you will know he has some sense of feeling and pain.
If he couldn't detect something wrong with steering and braking of the vehicle then he hasn't any degree of "feel" or his faculties are so impaired he shouldn't be driving.

A danger to himself and others.

If his wheel fault was left for a longer period it would have brought it to his attention is a most unexpected manner, maybe even killed someone else in the process, just after he lost control.

Obviously your BIL will never go nuts even though his nuts are gone.

Ross M
AnswerID: 513553

Follow Up By: Axle - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 21:02

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 21:02
I Know Ross!.....But He is not the only one!.....Thats the scary Bit!

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 792270

Reply By: Member - DW Lennox Head(NSW) - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 20:29

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 20:29
Axle

I am no help but will digress anyway.

My son is a military trained flying instructor based in an overseas country.

He tells me of a student pilot doing a solo flight in the circuit area in a high performance turbo prop trainer aircraft. He hears a strange noise on down wind and hits the eject button! One aircraft into the sand.

Queried what the problem was and replied it was a strange noise! Good bye to approximately $6.2 million Australian Dollars. Plenty petro dollars to replace that one.

Yours was serious in comparison.

DW
AnswerID: 513554

Follow Up By: Ross M - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 22:51

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 22:51
I hope Axle's BIL doesn't bail out when he hears the next noise. He hasn't got a chute to help him and the ground rises very quickly and it hurts.

LC should be OK though, they are built tough for Aussie "conditions".
Ross M
FollowupID: 792282

Follow Up By: Phil B (WA) - Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 10:56

Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 10:56
Hi Ross M

You said
''LC should be OK though, they are built tough for Aussie "conditions".'

It appears that LC's are tough but some Aussies aren't up to the toughness - lol.

cheers

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 792301

Reply By: Road Warrior - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 21:35

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 21:35
Anything new that I think could be driveline or engine related I definitely get paranoid about and will investigate. But if we're talking about new creaks and rattles of interior trim or similar, I just put it down to the car building a little bit more character :D
AnswerID: 513557

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 23:17

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 23:17
I am very aware of any different noises in my cruiser.

In 2011 we were on the Gibb River Road, rattling along over the corrugations, and I was sure I could hear a noise that wasn't normal.

It turned out to be the lining in the front wheel arches being pushed onto the front wheels by my bullbar.

The bullbar had been installed without any Loctite, spring washers, nyloc nuts - nothing but ordinary nuts that rattled loose.

It only protruded very slightly above the bonnet line so I hadn't noticed that it was sitting forward at 45 degrees to its normal position. It was being held on by one or two loose remaining bolts and the wiring to the indicators.

If I hadn't stopped to find that noise it would have fallen off and gone under the vehicle. I can't imagine the consequences. Thank goodness our travelling companions had a big bag of nuts and bolts. We fixed it at the intersection of the GRR and Kalumburu Roads with plenty of silastic on the bolts.

I had some cross words with the original installer when we got home.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 513566

Follow Up By: Ross M - Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 10:11

Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 10:11
GB

You just have to love professionally fitted accessories.

Silastic or Lock Tite or in fact even proper tightening is quite unknown in the aftermarket fitters vocabulary let alone ability.

My motto is,

" If it was touched by human, either check it is ok or expect failure"

After Market to those fitters means after thought.
On a different site, one Landcruiser ran over its own bull bar in the outback. You were lucky they sort of tightened the bolts a bit.
FollowupID: 792296

Follow Up By: Axle - Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 10:49

Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 10:49
G/Day GB, ..That was close,!, ..As Ross says can't trust anyone, not only aftermarket fitters,either, a new flatbed tray fell off a truck in our area just recentley, same story no nyloc nuts where used, everthing just rattled loose the remainder just broke off and this thing only did blacktop running....crazy stuff!!.

Axle.
FollowupID: 792300

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 11:40

Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 11:40
Just to clarify, you see that piece of wheel arch lining in front of the right wheel, it looks like a mud flap? That was being pushed against the tyre on both sides by the bar when it fell forward and was making the rubbing noise that I stopped to check.

Ross, do you have a link to that site you mentioned? My morbid curiosity wants to see what I avoided.

I usually check most things before we go away, but it just didn't occur to me to look at the bullbar mounting bolts. We had only stopped for lunch about a half hour before this happened and if I had grabbed the bullbar and shook it I would have seen it move. Guess what I was doing at every opportunity after this happened.

My new Cruiser doesn't have a bullbar. That's one way to avoid this happening again.
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 792304

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 18:06

Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 18:06
My Prado 120 had a similar problem with the polished bullbar.

Toyota service are supposed to tighten all nuts on the bullbar as part of their routine. Country dealers are well aware of the problem. I was told that in Port Hedland as I picked up HT bolts and nyloc nuts to replace all the fittings.
Mind you the Toyota packet cost $80 with a weeks delivery but I bought all I needed for $15 from the local nuts and bolts warehouse!

Its a design fault on Toyota rather than a fitting problem. (unless you have an aftermarket bar). No surprises there....

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 792331

Reply By: Member - John G - Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 08:15

Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 08:15
G'day Axle

On a recent trip I changed the SMS ring tone on the iPhone to something that said 'old car horn'. Scooting along at 100kph on the highway, with the iPhone sitting on the centre console, a horrible grating/groaning sound intruded. Mystified, I slowed down, listened intently, stopped, got out and investigated, then proceeded gingerly a few kms to Wagga. Then another text msg came in while I was refuelling, and the source of the sound was identified. I've changed the ring tone - that much I can manage.

Cheers
John
AnswerID: 513573

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 19:00

Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 19:00
Hahahaha that sure was a good story!! Sometimes technology gets us in the most unexpected ways.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 792334

Reply By: Pebble - Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 16:04

Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 16:04
Sensing new noise wou be my job, I generally seem to be one that notices and at times gets annoyed by noises coming from our vehicle. Half the time my Husband doesn't even notice them, some times as you say it pays to check it out as it turns out to be something requiring attention.
We currently have a troopy andit annoys the bleep out of me not being able to figure out why the "rear doors" or something to that effect seem to make a intermittent sound (hard to describe). Just can't pinpoint it! If I know the cause fine, if not it will bug me until we at least find out or better still fix it!
But on the other hand I'm pretty much partially deaf in one ear which means it can be hard to hear a conversations when there is a lot of background noise, guess it's the same reason I can probably hear certain sounds more clearly when it's quiet (like mozzies lol).
AnswerID: 513590

Reply By: auzinomad - Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 19:35

Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 19:35
Many ( many) years ago I was on the Oodnadatta track , via the Finke and heard a banging noise from the front of the vehicle.
I must point out that I was driving an XD Falcon auto at the time, with my S.I.L as a passenger.
Any way I stopped and nearly pulled the car to bits until I found that it was the bonnet hinges banging in their supports.
Later on I stopped near Arltunga and after investigating a suspicious noise I found the front L/H shocker seized.
I took it out and replaced it in Alice.
Nothing again till on the road between Glen Helen and Hermansberg a back shocker broke its mount, that was easy to identify, of course, but I nearly rolled it in the riverbed !

I still have the attitude that a 4WD isn't the duxgutz, but I don't do silly things these days ( ? )

(, or do I )

Ron
AnswerID: 513603

Sponsored Links