Should we drop into Moreton Island?

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 15:46
ThreadID: 102889 Views:2127 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Folks, we are heading from Wagga up to Carnarvon Gorge, then across to Gladstone and meandering back down the coast starting next saturday. We have an NP Pajero diesel and will be towing a camper. We are fairly experienced having crossed the Simpson twice, multiple high country trips, plenty of fun on Stockton etc. But we a) dont have a winch and b) are used to travelling with other vehicles and c) dont normally tow. This time we will be alone.

I'm reasonably keen to go over to Moreton island but not having another vehicle with us for a snatch in case we get bogged is a bit un-nerving. I know the sweet spot for tyre pressures on the Paj and a few other tricks to sand driving and so on but I am a little concerned that the run off the ferry might be a bit of a challenge. Anyone with some Moreton experience care to comment? Am I worried about nothing?

Thanks in advance - Pat
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kev - Member - Wynnum - Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 16:01

Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 16:01
Hi Pat
You have put the question and answered it yourself. You are concerned about nothing.
With your experience Moreton Island will be a walk in the park, there are really only a couple of sand drives on the island i.e. one way tracks across the island and the eastern beach and a track across the top. The western beach can be driven but only at low tide.
Getting on and off the barge is not a problem and in the unlikely event you get stuck, as anywhere, people fall over themselves to help you out.
It is expensive to travel to Moreton on the barge with vehicle and camper, most just use car and tent it for the couple of days.
Kev
AnswerID: 513589

Reply By: Member - Mike R2 - Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 16:06

Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 16:06
We have been to Moreton a number of times and always had a wonderful time. Perhaps I have been lucky, I have never had trouble exiting the ferry and although I do not tow it has not been a problem, all the times we visited we had no winch nor was there a need to use one. Sensible driving is always the clue as is tyre pressure and you seem to have these covered. We always travelled alone and Moreton is not that remote, you will always find another vehicle, in fact, can get quite busy at times. Always had success on the ocean beach for fishing and most times camped on that side. Enjoy should not be missed..

Mike and Lyn
AnswerID: 513591

Follow Up By: Member - Mike R2 - Sunday, Jun 23, 2013 at 09:44

Sunday, Jun 23, 2013 at 09:44
Pat forget the maxi tracks I carry steel F26 reinforcing, cut to the required length and width, leave about a 100ml at each end to bend at right angle to secure into sand/dirt/mud, mine are about a metre in length and at least the width of the tyre, much cheaper and lighter and easy to secure and do a pretty good job.

Regards

Mike n Lyn
FollowupID: 792367

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 16:51

Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 16:51
Hi Pat, as has been said, you should have no problem on Moreton.
The thing is with beach driving, (Fraser, Moreton etc.) the dangerous place to get bogged is on the water's edge with an incoming tide!! In this event a winch is unlikely to be of help as there is nothing to attach the cable to. In fact the weight of a winch on the front may add to the likelihood of getting bogged.
In the very rare event of having a problem on a track, someone will come along and be happy to help. If for no other reason than needing to clear the track so they can proceed. lol
Go for it!
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 513593

Reply By: Idler Chris - Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 18:07

Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 18:07
I have a pair of Maxtracks cable tied to the underneath of my roof rack. Never had to use them in sand but very comforting knowing they are there. When you come across something that maybe difficult you plunge in knowing you have insurance. For $275 gives great peace of mind.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 513599

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 18:45

Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 18:45
I carry Maxtrax too.
One day I'll bless them!
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 792333

Reply By: patsproule - Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 20:40

Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 20:40
Thanks everyone - much appreciated. Was thinking about some MaxTrax. Not wrong about the cost..... $260 for the car and $230 for the trailer and then a bit more for the kids. Then a vehicle pass and a camping pass. Will have a think.

Cheers & many thanks - Pat
AnswerID: 513606

Follow Up By: Barbera72 - Sunday, Jun 23, 2013 at 07:57

Sunday, Jun 23, 2013 at 07:57
The only difficult spot at the moment is the crossing of some exposed coffee rocks on the south-east beach approx 12 Km south of middle road. All inland tracks are firm due recent rains. Also the whole eastern beach is a bit tricky to drive on high tide due massive recent erosion.
FollowupID: 792354

Reply By: Member - KEITH W (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 23, 2013 at 10:01

Sunday, Jun 23, 2013 at 10:01
hi there, you will have no trouble at all, i used to live at redcliffe where the barge used to leave from. we visited moreton 4-5 times a year, in a variety of vehicles. the important point to remember is watch the tides, take fuel.....

enjoy
keith

AnswerID: 513631

Reply By: Member - Simon C - Sunday, Jun 23, 2013 at 12:11

Sunday, Jun 23, 2013 at 12:11
Thought about Stradebroke Island???? Bit more civilised....but still the beaches ect for camping. Also 1/2 the price to get to.
Value for money.....I would pick Straddie. Not as isolated as Moreton though if that is what your after
AnswerID: 513638

Sponsored Links