Finer filter

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 25, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1029 Views:8059 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Here is a question for diesel mechanic. Is it true that diesel fuel economy suffers due to finer filter use?Are this filters any good? Anyone out there with good (bad)experience regarding Finer filter?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: colin - Friday, Apr 26, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Apr 26, 2002 at 00:00
Brian i have a 92 4.2 diesel patrol non turbo i was lacking badly in power so fitted extractors bigger pipes, snorkel, which helped then i fitted finer filters and noticed a big improvement in power and fuel economy. Like any thing u have to do regular serviceing. In the long run i have found these filters cheaper to run than the originals, my opinion i swear by them. Col
AnswerID: 3142

Follow Up By: Bob - Saturday, Apr 27, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Apr 27, 2002 at 00:00
Sorry to tell you this Colin but you are dreaming!! There is no way that an oiled filter will give you a big improvement in power and fuel economy over a paper filter. Just think about it - all a filter does is filter the air. If either type is blocked it will reduce performance and economy but if both are in good condition I categorically claim you couldn't measure the difference. Do you sell them Colin????
FollowupID: 1263

Reply By: Bob Porter - Friday, Apr 26, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Apr 26, 2002 at 00:00
I have been using Unifilters (similar to finer filters) in my GQ Patrol 4.2 Diesel (no turbo) for some time now - about 150,000 km. Previously used on a 2.5 Turbo Pajero. Noticed slight improvement in both power and fuel economy compared to standard paper element filters. The BIG difference was in dust retention particularly noticeable in the Patrol pre-cleaner. Nothing or only very fine dust gets through to the main filter. It is also a lot cheaper if you are prepared to do the servicing In dusty conditions I also run a Doaldson pre-cleaner on top of the snorkel and finds this reduces the clogging. At low speeds this doesn't affect performance.
Regular servicing using the proper oil is a must.
Use the wrong oil (eg.engine oil) and you will have economy problems. I carry a couple of spare foam bands. This is convenient as far as space is concerned compared to carrying spare paper elements.
AnswerID: 3148

Reply By: andrew - Saturday, Apr 27, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Apr 27, 2002 at 00:00
Tell me, do you guys who use the foam also oil the inner foam filter, if so how do you wring it out, being in a metal receptacle, or does the oiling of the outer band disipate to the inner from the air velocity?
AnswerID: 3164

Follow Up By: Goran - Sunday, Apr 28, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Apr 28, 2002 at 00:00
You don't oil or remove inner band.
FollowupID: 1270

Reply By: colin - Monday, Apr 29, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Apr 29, 2002 at 00:00
Bob you may think i am dreaming, but unlike yourself i have tried both paper and oil filled filters and if you understood how a foam filter works you may then make a sensible comment. If you look into the dirt bike scene you will find these machines have been useing foam oil filters for many years, as they improve performance and are far superior in filtering out the dust. When a paper filter starts to get dust on the surface it restricts flow slowly getting worse till the filter is changed, oil filters improve flow as dust sticks to the outside and draws the oil out and this is where servicing comes in when u start seeing dry spots on the foam it is time to clean and re oil. These are scientific facts proven many times over. If you read 4wd monthly they did an article on finer filters, march 2001. Colin
AnswerID: 3204

Reply By: Member - George - Thursday, May 23, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 23, 2002 at 00:00
Brian, I took my Finer Filter off my 4.2 turbo Nissan GU after having had a stage 2 power upgrade done. It was blowing black smoke so I changed to a K&N filter. They are a bit dearer but tests seem to indicate that they actually work and I no longer lay a trail of soot. The K&N seems to have a larger surface area than the Finer and I guess this is the secret. Keeping a filter too clean is also a problem. Oiled filters work better with some dust on them.
AnswerID: 3773

Sponsored Links