jackaroo torsion bar

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 12:13
ThreadID: 10290 Views:5548 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone had any experience, or tell me if they have noticed, limited travel after a lift job on there jack. Is there a heavy duty torsion bar that would allow a greater ride. I would have thought just winding it up would limit the actual travel & increase stress. Would a different bar alleviate this problem.

Cheers

Jackablue
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: donk - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 13:03

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 13:03
With torsion bar front suspension on jap 4wd's you have a top & a bottom bump stop & if you wind the torsion bar up to raise the ride height you will increase the up travel of the suspension but you will decrease the down travel by the same amount

Also under full compression the torsion bar will have twisted more than if the ride height was standard as the rear of the bar is anchored to the chassis & the front of the bar turns with the control arm plus the inital extra twist in the bar to increase the ride height in the first place

Aftermarket torsion bars are normally thicker or have a heavier spring rate and will carry more weight for less deflection (for example if a bull bar & winch is fitted the ride height will not drop as far) but will not increase wheel travel at all

You may know all of this already but i wanted to give you the basic information just incase you did not

Regards Don
AnswerID: 45540

Follow Up By: jackablue - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 13:30

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 13:30
Thanks Don
I am aware of that. I am more concerned with the actual spring rate. I would have thought winding the original one up would have taken alot of the actual spring out of it. Was wondering if I could get one that would be rated better to sit at that height & give a better ride than the tightly wound one.

Cheers

Jackablue
FollowupID: 307616

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 14:18

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 14:18
Just thinking that the same amount of force is needed to hold the mass at the same height - existing bar or replacement. however the replacement if higher rated would not need as much preload on it and hence would have more available torsional movement . If you have a front bar only then the standard would be ok, if you have bar/ winch/ spare cables etc, then you will need the higher rated bar.

But yes if you crank it up you will lose downwards travel ( not that we have a lot to begin with ) Standard ride height has 17 mm clearance on the upstop. check this first as they have a tendancy to sag a bit over time .
Personally, i wouldn't crank a jack front end higher than 1 - 1 1/2 inches over standard. exept if you go the whole hog with the calmini front kit..Moo... everyone knows what a Jackaroo looks like :-)
AnswerID: 45548

Follow Up By: jackablue - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 15:50

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 15:50
Bradley
I thought you may reply.

(however the replacement if higher rated would not need as much preload on it and hence would have more available torsional movement )

This is what I am trying to find out.

I've got the quote for shocks & springs & thought afterwards about this.

FollowupID: 307629

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 16:20

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 16:20
me again pal, best thing is to fit the springs & new shocks, then tweak the standard bars and see how you go, you might be happy with them and save yourself $ 400 or so. The standard bars are fairly soft ( same for hilux & cruiser ) so they should still give the full travel. Unless of course they are already too soft to give the desired lift - ie you go to full adjustment and still need more, then you will have to buy the new bars.

What shocks are you going to go with, as this is due on my jack and i was thinking the OME shocks would do the job.Moo... everyone knows what a Jackaroo looks like :-)
FollowupID: 307632

Follow Up By: jackablue - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 16:46

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 16:46
OME nitro & progressive spring on the rear.
FollowupID: 307634

Reply By: Hero - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 14:37

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 14:37
A nice way to get your mind around how a Torsion Bar works is to think of it as a straightened coil spring. They work in the same manner.
AnswerID: 45549

Reply By: Arkay - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 16:38

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 16:38
A couple of weeks ago I was talking to the gentleman (details not provided at this stage or commercial reasons) who set up Peter Brocks "Round Australia" Jackaroo, and also the Jackaroo support vehicle, about this. He recommended to me that in his experience a heavier torsion bar set to standard is the way to go.
AnswerID: 45564

Follow Up By: jackablue - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 16:51

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 16:51
Sounds good but we need lift too
FollowupID: 307635

Reply By: Dennis (Brisbane) - Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 14:12

Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 14:12
Calmini in the USA make kits for Jackaroo (Trooper) & Rodeo's (Pickup).

The local importer has a fairly big mark up on them, in Jul 03 I priced the kits for my Rodeo.

Cntrol arm kit (to correct the steeering geometry for big lifts) - $885.

Suspension kit, 2 inch lift - $1000

Suspension + control arm kit + new crossmember, 3 inch lift - $1995

Prices MAY have dropped now that our $ is worth more than a struck match.

AnswerID: 45693

Reply By: Michael_FNQ - Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 17:22

Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 17:22
With a light front end winding them up and a good pair of shocks would be the best solution.
AnswerID: 45712

Sponsored Links