MDC Campers -Crusader

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 23, 2013 at 15:51
ThreadID: 102909 Views:5910 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
Has anyone got a MDC camper & if so done any offroad in it?.

Seen the DVD where they took them to Cape York & seemed to be ok. But like to
get some first hand knowledge.

Had a look at them & they seem ok, but admit I'm not a welder etc, so
wouldn't 't know really about build quality,
Just seem good value for the $$$

Cheers
Neil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Sunday, Jun 23, 2013 at 18:16

Sunday, Jun 23, 2013 at 18:16
There are three recent forum threads (2013) on MDC that may be of interest to you. Here’s the link

MDC Camper Threads

and a few more if you search it under the full name;

Market Direct threads

With many of the cheap imports, the quality can be lacking particularly around attention to detail. My family have recently moved a generic Chinese variety (marketed under a well know Australian Name) one on and some of the more common issues are around weld quality, fittings being a tad substandard (check water tanks and those fittings, the tailgate kitchen and sealing around the rear swing doors.

Another big issue is that the canvas is often "one size fits all" meaning you can be caught a bit short if you have a 4x4 version of a popular model. All of a sudden it's a bit short. In my brother’s case, he had an on-road model where the tent was for the off road model of the same range. His canvas was too loose. Easily fixed with a set of drive on chocks from a caravan place but a pain that could have been avoided had it not been built to a standard rather than a price point.

You might be advised to look at some of the other generic imports marketed by GIC campers, Ezytrail in Melbourne or any number of “Hard floor” campers on eBay.

Good luck.

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 513664

Follow Up By: Member - Lester77 - Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 09:53

Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 09:53
Why the cryptic message?

"Generic Chinese variety and 4x4 version of a popular model."

Is there a reason why people are reluctant to name names?

FollowupID: 792453

Reply By: Member - Lester77 - Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 10:03

Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 10:03
Im with you Neil. They look quite strong and the seals on the full off road models look quite good but Im not a tradesman.

Im sure there must be quite a few owners out there and am also interested in finding out how they perform (other than the marketing spin).

Previous posts have very few replies.
AnswerID: 513706

Follow Up By: Alvin Z - Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 18:18

Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 18:18
it seems that MDC is really famous? Alson which season do you think is the busy season for cmaper trailer tents and roof top tent?
FollowupID: 792493

Sponsored Links