Hema maps on iPad

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 25, 2013 at 10:11
ThreadID: 102946 Views:6567 Replies:1 FollowUps:29
This Thread has been Archived
We recently set out on a two week holiday from Cairns to the Red Centre via Mount Isa and the Plenty Highway. Before leaving I researched what tracking maps were available for my iPad and through Explore Oz decided the Hema maps app was the one to get ( well, the only one!)
It was absolutely fantastic as it not only tracked our entire trip ( including a helicopter ride over the Middle Ranges (MacDonnell))but provided lots of interesting information as we drove along.
Now that we are home does anyone know if the tracks can be transferred from the iPad to our home PC? ( not a Mac)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Jun 25, 2013 at 11:48

Tuesday, Jun 25, 2013 at 11:48
The Hema App is actually the Memory Map product rebadged. The map format is QCT.

There is a PC version of Memory Map

You can download that for free and there are other maps available, Vic, NSW, Qld, Tas 25K topo, marine, Westprint, etc. The program is free but you will probably need to buy the PC licence for the Hema maps. You should ring or email Hema to find out how to do this. There is also a Hema/Memory Map FAQ on the website somewhere.

You can also download a fantastic free 250K map of Australia, and height data so you can look at maps in 3d, optional map import functions etc. The PC version is a lot more functional and you can use it to plan for the IPAD. You can also import other track types and backup.

AnswerID: 513783

Follow Up By: Pete & Karen - Tuesday, Jun 25, 2013 at 16:38

Tuesday, Jun 25, 2013 at 16:38
Thanks very much for that. I'll get onto Hema.
FollowupID: 792556

Follow Up By: racinrob - Tuesday, Jun 25, 2013 at 16:42

Tuesday, Jun 25, 2013 at 16:42
Thanks heaps, I've just downloaded the App to my iPad, 99 cents.

rr VKE237 6678
FollowupID: 792557

Follow Up By: Member - Bill13 - Tuesday, Jun 25, 2013 at 19:41

Tuesday, Jun 25, 2013 at 19:41
Boobook,
I currently use Memory Map on my IPad and find it works very well for me. I have looked at buying Hema Map but was wondering what is the difference and what extras would I get for my $150.00.
Would it be worth the expense.
Bill
FollowupID: 792573

Follow Up By: get outmore - Tuesday, Jun 25, 2013 at 20:46

Tuesday, Jun 25, 2013 at 20:46
Just think if you sell your ipad and buy android you can get all that pluss alot lot lot more for next to nothing
Amazes me apple users are happy with that
FollowupID: 792576

Follow Up By: Skulldug - Tuesday, Jun 25, 2013 at 21:05

Tuesday, Jun 25, 2013 at 21:05
GOM, Is android in colour yet?
FollowupID: 792579

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Tuesday, Jun 25, 2013 at 21:41

Tuesday, Jun 25, 2013 at 21:41
Oziexplorer for PC costs $40 and Memory Map for PC is free. Oziexplorer for Android costs $25 and Memory Map for Android or Apple is 99 cents.
You still have to get maps for both. Unless you want to pirate the maps then you have to buy some or make your own for Ozi. You basically have to buy a map set for Memory Map but I reckon the maps and the program are much better. I have Ozi for Android and PC and haven't used them for months. I used Ozi for years before I got Memory Map.
FollowupID: 792581

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Jun 25, 2013 at 21:52

Tuesday, Jun 25, 2013 at 21:52
I dropped my Ozi in favor of Hema on the iPad
Yes I had to pay for the maps again that I already had but it is a simple no brainier affair and you are up and running, everything works and you can easily work out how to operate the software.
Worth the extra dollars for no heartache in my opinion
FollowupID: 792582

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Jun 25, 2013 at 22:12

Tuesday, Jun 25, 2013 at 22:12
Hello Mike

One of the prices you quoted for OziExplorer are incorrect - PC version is ~$140...see here for full listing.

I am not sure of the map format used by Memory Map ...but think it requires you to purchase direct from them as you suggest or I think you can by a "special" PC version (cost ?) which includes a map image format converter which would allow you to use existing maps you may already have or can acquire elsewhere (subject to them being in a suitable format + calibration data in the first instance). I haven't dabbled in Memory Map much so not that up to speed - could be wrong about the converter. I just seem to remember it was possible.

Obviously their cheap programs rely on your subsequent need to fork out far more dollars for maps from them. OziE operates on a different philosophy to a certain extent (currently:) in that they don't restrict you to one particular map format over which they exercise complete control/sell (hence possible reason for slightly higher prices for program purchase?)

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 792585

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 00:10

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 00:10
Yes you are right. :-) So Ozi for pc plus android is around $165 with no maps except those you can make, buy or knock off illegally on the internet, and the Hema Maps is around $150 for ipad plus pc plus android including the maps. That sounds cheaper to me?
FollowupID: 792588

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 01:14

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 01:14
No worries, though I wasn't trying to suggest any one mapping product is universally cheaper in the long run...too many variables..

It is, as usual when this subject arises, just a case of individual requirements, existing hardware, price of replacement hardware, knowledge, budget and ...obviously map sources (etc). There is no one answer/solution that would suit everyone.

The mapping software (what ever option you take) is actually pretty cheap...bought any fuel lately? Unless you walk/bike/paddle/hand glide you'll need to take that into account when using your gps mapping software. Costs me over $220 to fill my car up...one off payment of a similar amount for some mapping software could be regarded as irrelevant (if you have a legitimate use for it).

Get the one that suits you best - price is only one consideration and given even the expensive ones are "cheap" maybe not an issue...though must say 99c is good value if it works :) Funny thing is there are free Android gps mapping map apps (and I assume Apple stuff) that probably do the same thing...save yourself 99c !!

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 792589

Follow Up By: Zebra400 - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 05:15

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 05:15
If you like Ozi on Android, but dont want to pay for it, then look at Androzic. It is an Ozi look alike app. It is free, and does a few things Ozi doesn't do.

It does require the desktop version to create your maps in ozf2/3 format though.
FollowupID: 792590

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 05:36

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 05:36
Zebra, Ozi also does a few things that Androzic won't. like read OZF3 and 4 maps.
FollowupID: 792591

Follow Up By: Member - KYLE S - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 14:44

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 14:44
G'Day all,

I am a bit dumb when it comes to using apps but understand that a dedicated GPS device uses satellites to determine a location and then displays the relevant "bit" of the map stored in the GPS. The device is powered by the cars 12vlt system.
I don't know how an ipad determines "where you/it are"
Does it have inbuilt satellite receiver?
Do you have to pay Telstra or such like to connect by WiFi to the net?
What is the advantage over a GPS device?
I would be grateful for some direction in this matter
Thanks Kyle
FollowupID: 792605

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 15:23

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 15:23
You are pretty much on the mark Kyle.

A map type GPS has a GPS receiver which uses the US free sats to locate the device to within a few meters.

Most smart phones, android tablets and confusingly Ipads that are cellular capable have a GPS. ( Apple don't include one with the wifi only version for some reason).

Then a program or app takes this position and overlays a map corresponding to that position.

There are several ways to do that.

1)Raster maps ( eg exploroz, memory map, Hema etc) which have a picture file that is referenced to GPS positions. The map is stored in the device memory. These are generally the best for 4wding and hiking. They generally are the same as paper maps and don't need a phone connection.

2)Vector maps, these draw the lines by computer and are generally used for turn by turn direction maps for cars. They are pretty useless for 4wding as they show little detail other than roads and other major marks. They can show paid marks like shops etc too. This too is in memory.

3)Online mapping such as Bing, Open Street Map, yahoo or Google.
These require an internet connection in addition to the GPS and will download data and cost you to use. They are a hybrid raster / vector map.

A phone or tablet could run any of the above based on the app.

You will also read about AGPS or assisted GPS. this uses the GPS signal but is supplemented with location information from the phone service or wifi service.

Hope this makes sense.
FollowupID: 792611

Follow Up By: MADOG - Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 20:29

Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 20:29
From a long time OziExplorer user - suggest you take a look at MudMap for iPad. This app permits you to convert your own maps that you have already purchased to their format and integrate them into the MudMap system. The app includes a "community supported" sensational Vector Map and a heap of Raster map brands including WestPrint are available. It is also being integrated with Campee to provide more "community supported" information. This app is moving forward quite rapidly with regular updates and broadened capability. Just used it up the Birdsville Track, across Plenty Hwy and down Great Central Road and back across the Nullarbor in tandem with Camps Australia Wide on the same iPad - in my opinion, the only way to go!
FollowupID: 792700

Follow Up By: Zebra400 - Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 20:41

Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 20:41
Hey Roger, good to see you are still out & about on the tracks. You say (in your opinion) it is the only way to go. I think that should be another way to go. Each software/app has its advantages & disadvantages.

Glad to hear that your old Ozi maps can be used with your iPad.

Happy travelling!
FollowupID: 792702

Follow Up By: get outmore - Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 22:02

Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 22:02
I set up my mums galaxy note just for fun
Downloaded androzic and put on natmap and hema
COst nothing
I run all forms of ozi and just use my existing maps for them
No other system has the ready to use maps ozi does
FollowupID: 792707

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 22:20

Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 22:20
Hema maps cost money?
FollowupID: 792713

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 22:36

Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 22:36
..to make them Yes ..to steal them ..No :)

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 792717

Follow Up By: Zebra400 - Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 09:44

Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 09:44
Greg, I think he meant that he already had his paid maps on his other versions of Ozi, so he copied these maps on to his tablet.

So in effect, he did pay nothing to view his maps on the tablet.
FollowupID: 792732

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 09:50

Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 09:50
If you buy Ozi for computer and Android you are up for $165 plus buy Hema another $150 for the maps in ozf format. Then use them on Androzic it has still cost you $150 for the Hema maps.
Buy Memory Map for $1 and Hema for $150 it has cost you $151 and you can use the maps on PC, Apple and Android.
The only way you can come out in front the "free" way is by getting the maps illegally.
FollowupID: 792733

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 10:44

Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 10:44
There is another navigation system called Navigator that is worth a look - aspecially as it is free. From the website "Navigator FREE - is a OpenStreetMaps based free turn-by-turn GPS navigation by mapFactor for Windows, Windows Mobile devices and Android devices.

OpenStreetMap is a collaborative project to create a free editable map of the world."

Have a look at it here

We used a Windows version on a trip to England and it worked very well, and the long list of places already in the system was a real bonus. Have loaded the Android version onto a Galaxy tablet and it seems to work well, but we have yet to try it out on a real trip. Its not something we would use in outback areas but good for towns and cities along the way.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 792735

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 11:23

Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 11:23
Hello Laurie

He copied the maps onto someone else's tablet ..not his (in this case just for fun on "mums" tablet - so I was just having a light dig). Nonetheless I am not sure that is how Hema (and other people who invest money in supplying maps) want the system to work for them.

Anyway - I think the point is, as Mike alludes to, that if proclaiming a certain setup is cheaper than another you must include all legitimate costs to provide a true picture. Leaving certain things out because its possible to get them free by stealing paints the wrong picture and also sends the wrong message that all maps, because they are in digital format, are "free" to share, they are not.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 792737

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 15:28

Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 15:28
Val a quick check of Open Street maps will show it is littered with life threatening omissions and errors in the high country and other remote locations. It is great for heavily used locations, but can not be relied on for remote locations.

Case in point, it showed that the only exit from North Licola during the recent fires was straight through the fires, when in fact there are at least 2 main roads and several tracks in other directions.

The problem with OSM is that someone who has mapped the region and bothered to put the track online has to make a post to what is a community project.

It is not reliable for 4wding in remote locations at all. Better to pay the $150 for a surveyed map.

FollowupID: 792760

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 15:58

Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 15:58
Boobook,

Im wondering? if you read my whole post including the last sentence that reads "Its not something we would use in outback areas but good for towns and cities along the way."?

Its my understanding that its being developed for the trucking industry, and 18 months ago when we first came across it the section covering Australia was quite deficient. It has improved a lot over the past 18 months.

Nowhere do I say that anyone should use this product. I'm simply bringing it to people's attention. Then its caveat emptor.

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 792762

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Jun 29, 2013 at 05:39

Saturday, Jun 29, 2013 at 05:39
Val, you are right, I misread your last sentence and we do seem to be in complete agreement. Apologies.
FollowupID: 792794

Follow Up By: Zebra400 - Saturday, Jun 29, 2013 at 08:10

Saturday, Jun 29, 2013 at 08:10
Not sure if I agree with you on that one. Surveyed maps are great. Biggest problem with most maps is that they don't tell you when the data was updated by survey. A good example is the Victorian Spacial Vision maps do not show the latest tracks, even though the data says the maps were updated at a particular date. Travel up Mormon Town Track. Interestingly, Rooftop has the right info and their maps were released many years ago. I have the 2010 Spacial Vision maps with the outdated track.

With regards to OSM, I just had a look at the Licola area. I can see all the tracks that appear on one of my 'surveyed' maps. The biggest issue with vector maps, is the amount of data they show on each zoom level. It is hard to see where you want to go if you have zoomed out as the smaller tracks are not shown on these zoom levels. I spoke to Brian Somerville (from GPSoZ) about this issue with Oz Topo. When I was travelling the Canning Sotck Route last year & the Tamani Road/Kimberley the previous year, the zoomed out maps showed very little correct data. But zooming right in, then I started to see the tracks. Problem was that I couldn't see where I wanted to go when I was zoomed in so far. Brian admitted that this is an issue - showing too much data will slow down the application, so a decision has to made on how much to show. Its a pity the user can't manually decide this.

My overall view is, to view all maps to achieve your best travels. I still find Raster maps give the best for outback travel. Vector is fine bitumen driving. So we travel with both.
FollowupID: 792798

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Jun 29, 2013 at 08:49

Saturday, Jun 29, 2013 at 08:49
Zebra, it isn't an issue with the zoom level. The OSM maps are missing many of tracks and even main roads. Same for the Upper Dargo region. ( King Spur track) etc. The Dargo starts 50 odd km fromt he right place.

It appears that Mudmap who sells maps based on OSM, fixed these after I pointed out 20 - 30 errors in the Licola region to them. At least it si getting better.

I agree about the Vic maps being wrong on occasions, mainly due to age, but the percentage errors are minuscule compared to OSM which has 30% or more tracks missing ( at any zoom level) in big chunks of the high country. It is just not usable.

OSM is a great toy when sitting in front of the fireplace at home. Not more for remote travel.

IMHO of course.
FollowupID: 792805

Follow Up By: Hema Maps - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 09:45

Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 09:45
G'day Everyone.

I thought I would jump in here to clarify a couple of things.

Firstly I would agree that different applications are going to suit different users, just like Windows Vs Apple.

Second, I want to clarify that the Hema app is only licensed to mobile devices and not to the computer, you would need to purchase a license for the computer from Memory Map.

Thirdly the Hema raster DVD for ozi explore is $199 this allows you to license to your personal computer and device.

Hopefully you all enjoy having a variety of options to look at and pick the one that suits you best.

Safe Journey...

FollowupID: 793096

Sponsored Links