Sand driving

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 15:31
ThreadID: 10295 Views:1945 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Forumites,
Just a quicky, I recently in one of the fourby mags I read that for driving in sand an agressive tyre tread is better that a h'way tread pattern, I have always believed that a h'way pattern was better, the agressive tread pattern may give better grip but it also digs holes a lot quicker. Last year I did a lot of sand driving on h'way tyres with no real problems, as long as the tyre was deflated and "bagged" out well, this year I'm on muddies and looking forward to the adventure. Opinions please, and real life experiences. Keep the shiny side up
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 16:24

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 16:24
Hello Martyn,

We crossed the Simpson(500km offroad) some years ago north/south and my Suzuki was shod with BFG Muddies. I can't remember the tyre pressures we ran but they performed well and both vehicles never had a puncture.

Recently I have been down in the very soft sand on the beach at Little Dip Cons Park with well used Dunlop Road Grippers on splits, in the G60. Dropped pressures down to 18 psi and did not get bogged. The old girl just crawled through the sand at half throttle in 3rd Low Range.

I am sure your muddies will perform well inthe sand providing you choose the right tyre pressures.

Cheers,

Willem1958 Patrol Pretty flash eh?
AnswerID: 45561

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 16:32

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 16:32
my muddies dig in heaps and she definitely works much harder as temp gauge now climbs whereas with all terrains there was no such problem. Bonus is that you can let your tyres down further if neededCheers 'n' Beers
AnswerID: 45563

Reply By: Member - Ross - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 19:54

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 19:54
IMHO for sand drivind the less tread the better. Been doing it since Adam was a lad and in regard to beach driving the above holds true.

Of course off in the desert a different set of rules apply when you consider the varying terrain you must traverse.

Baldies are great for Fraser etc but not such a top idea out back.Fidei defensor

Rosco
AnswerID: 45590

Follow Up By: Steve - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 22:00

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 22:00
Ross: dont let the truth get in the way of a good story... you will get slammed for it !! Narrow, half worn on slit rims and around 12-15 psi are the way to go.....but wait for the howls from the ....its
FollowupID: 307692

Reply By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 16:46

Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 16:46
Martyn
I have always used AT's on the sand (over 20 years of regular beach driving) but I guess what-ever works works.
Baldies are not as good as treaded tyres in my experience.
Australian 4WD Monthly did a comparo of wide vs. skinnies a couple of months ago and found that skinnies performed nearly as well as wide tyres (marginal difference only) when deflated to equal pressures.
It all comes down to the tread "lengthening" on the ground rather than "widening" .
That's what they say anyway.
Cheers
Oskar
The real oskar
AnswerID: 45709

Reply By: Brian - Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 08:53

Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 08:53
Hi Martyn,
We have 33" Pro Comp muds on our GQ and have driven quite a few of the Fraser Island tracks, including the Northern, Central and Southern Lakes drives, Hook Point, the inland road parallel to the Eastern Beach, The Eastern Beach (soft sand and "down-by-the-water" hard sand), Orchid Beach to Wathumba Creek. (Sandy Cape is on our "to-do" list)

We have been "knocked" for having muddies, many times! Have been told that we will spend "all your time waiting to be recovered".... Yet we haven't been bogged. Not once (yet)... Not even close!

I think it's as much to do with technique as anything. We run 22psi in the tyres, make certain we are in the right gear/range/revs for where we're going and when we feel the tyres losing grip, stop, reverse, go again with a little more momentum and voila!!!! we're there!

Hope this helps.... but it is only my opinion
Cheers
Brian
AnswerID: 45815

Sponsored Links