LED Light Bar or Hella Rallye 4000 Spread Beam

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 16:44
ThreadID: 102970 Views:6766 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Seeking opinions on whether I should purchase either a 240W LED light bar or a pair of Hella Rallye 4000 Spread Beams. The night driving I do is on highways and want something to best highlight Roo's near the edge of the road.
Cheers
Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: cookie1 - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 19:13

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 19:13
I use a pair of Lightforce 240XGT and they are fantastic, I have had Hella 4000's and found them to be great also but the 240XGT are just that little bit better in my opinion.

Be aware that currently the fitment of 1 light is illegal here in SA, they must be in pairs and 600mm centre-centre apart, up to a maximum of 6 (80 series the 2 lights are included so 4 for you)

cheers
AnswerID: 513832

Follow Up By: mountainman - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 23:59

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 23:59
easy fix..
duct tape the centre..
perfectly legal.

im not keen on the bars, but suit a semi doing interstate runs id reckon..
FollowupID: 792638

Reply By: putrol - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 19:37

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 19:37
having had all sorts of driving lights over the years ,light force , cibie , hella & ipf I bought a cheap 24" 120w light bar to give them a try[http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/400488695293?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649] & wow found it to be so much better than any spread beam ive ever had they don't go as far down the road as the driving light but you get enough to see if there are any skippys on the side of the road so may be A cheaper set of driving lights & a light bar best of both worlds
AnswerID: 513834

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 19:53

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 19:53
Wow, that looks OK for price, how long did it take to get here?

cheers
FollowupID: 792622

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 20:43

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 20:43
From their description t must be good if it can...

¦ The suitable design for heating elimination.
¦ The high performance of tight waterproof,dustproof,quakeproof.
¦ Anti explosion.

Good to see if you buy this particular light you can use it also for heating elimination and to aid in it's high performance not only is it tight, waterproof, dustproof it's also quakeproof...... and don't forget it's anti explosion capabilities...... just what you nee in the middle east.

We need to tell NATO..... now!
FollowupID: 792625

Reply By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 20:11

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 20:11
Light bars are a glorified worklight and will never replace driving lights.

Too many people think everytime they drive at night they will hit a roo..... on our recent trip from Adelaide to just short of Alice Springs and back we could have counted roo's that had been hit on a single hand.

Even on other trips we don't see many dead roo's.... saying that one person who was on our recent trip had a roo hit the back quarter panel of his 4by..... hard to avoid.

The chances of avoiding a roo coming from the side when travelling at high speed even with good lights are low as your reaction time from the time you have seen the roo to the time of impact would be in most cases under 4 seconds.

Most lights will only give a viewable spread of maybe 20 to 40m either side from centre + distance meaning if you did see them when travelling at 100 Kph the time they appeared in your side beam would allow you about 1 -1.5 seconds to avoid it...... chances are you would hit it or swerve and roll...... at 100kph you are travelling at just under 30m per second.

Good driving light in my opinion are a must have.

AnswerID: 513839

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 22:24

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 22:24
Lightbars do tend to put out a broader beam than good quality Driving Lights such as Hella or Lightforce but given that price I may be keen to try one out - for off-road only.

I have found the opposite, I have seen plenty of dead Kangaroos in my recent travels down South and indeed the aftermath of a car & roo meeting, I am glad I have a bullbar. Hit one in a VH Commodore many years ago and that made a really big mess and cost about $1700 to fix.

Typically I see them at dawn or dusk but have seen one or two at night sat on the road but the lights gave me enough notice to slow right down so do see the worth in having a good set.

cheers
FollowupID: 792631

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 23:56

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 23:56
Roos were the least thing we wanted to hit coming and going to Alice..... walking Mc Donalds outweighed roos 30 to 1.

Light bars are OK for slow speed driving but offer very little at higher speeds.

The biggest problem with LED lighting is the light doesn't scatter around objects like HID and filament lighting.

Light bar put out big light close up for slow speed but when it comes to usable light; light bars are not that good for higher speeds.

Good quality leading edge light bars put out a usable output for about 100-150m (remember usable), at 100Kph you travel at 95m per 3 seconds.... if you did see something you have 3-5 seconds to react and avoid contact..... the Hella's and Lightforces will give you about 450-700m of good usable light or about 15-22 seconds to react.

We can pick stuff out at about 700m + with the Hella's.... police at 1000m+.

We have played around with LED light bars a far bit over the last 3 years, we currently have VisionX Evo Prime 20 x 10w bar with a combination of 20 and 40 deg reflectors (long range and spread) mounted on our roof rack...... the reason we run them is for slow speed 4wdriving and to show customers that they are not as good as the magazines make out them to be.

The light bar output close up is fantastic up to about 130m in distance and about 25m either side...... One spread and one spot Hella HID puts out the same to the sides and 10 times the distance with an overall broader more usable beam.

If you spend good money on a set of Hella 1387 and 1388 High Boost iX XGD HID lights you would be amazed OR do what we are changing to.... Lightforce 70w XGT with combo filters.

We have always been a Hella oriented business but after playing around with the 70w HID lightforces for a customer we were very impressed...... we are fitting a set to our 200 series this week to replace to above mentioned Hella's.

Both the above light would provide more light then you need, the Hella's suit more vehicles due to their size.... the Lightforces are BIG.

HID is still the way to go for driving lights.

FollowupID: 792637

Reply By: Daisy G - Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 13:58

Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 13:58
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Advertising/Self-Promotion Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 514677

Reply By: Member - evaredy - Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 17:32

Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 17:32
I have LED spotties and find them great, they light up enough of the road ahead to see whats ahead, plus they light up the sides really well.

I don't know about a lightbar though, especially on the roof rack, I think you would find it too bright on the bonnet etc. Plus there is the issue of the laws about them at the moment, there is no telling what the different states will put in place as far as needing one or two.
AnswerID: 514698

Sponsored Links