Roo systems winches,any good?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 19:09
ThreadID: 102976 Views:9352 Replies:7 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone got a Roo systems winch and/ or are they any good?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: cookie1 - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 19:44

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 19:44
I have a Warn Magnum, was going to buy a full Warn but was advised by ARB to buy the cheaper Magnum as the only time I used my winch was for other people
or pulling out trees.

Roo Systems or should I say 4wd Action / Tigerz by all reports have very bad after sales service. Runva 13.5xp have been getting some good reports on another forum.

cheers
AnswerID: 513836

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 14:11

Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 14:11
Just finished reading the 200th edition of 4WD Action and I was wondering why they were up in arms about Tigerz and Roo Systems products being, supposedly, banned from the Melbourne and Brisbane 4WD shows.
Roothy had quite a bit to say about it.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 792676

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 14:19

Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 14:19
There was a thread on here or another forum about this and there was a question about the booking of the space and it is unclear but it does appear like they walked away from the event over their space.

I just think it unfortunate that they have breached the divide between factually reporting without having a vested interest in suppliers

cheers
FollowupID: 792677

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 14:44

Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 14:44
I've got no idea what the true details of this incidence are but according to what was written in the mag they were banned by the organizers of these events. According to Roothy his take was something about the pricing of these products being a bit to keen for other makers.
I had no idea that the publishers of the mag may have had some pecuniary interest in these products. If that is in fact the case.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 792680

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 14:56

Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 14:56
From the 4wd action forum

"I am Charles Vella, the owner of Express Media Group which I founded 26 years ago. We publish 4WD Action. I also have a financial interest in Tigerz11 and Roo Systems."

He then goes on to say that
"Almost 12 months ago I declared publically my intention to be financially involved in 4WD products."

Don't know about you but I missed that public disclosure in the magazine and only become aware when they raised hell over this event in Melbourne.

cheers
FollowupID: 792682

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 15:11

Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 15:11
Fair enough mate, I must have missed that bit too...LOL. Although I only buy a copy now and then when I am bored a bit.
Looks like Roothy well and truly knows which side his bread is buttered on. (;-))
Does sort of make you wonder how impartial their product evaluations are.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 792685

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 15:20

Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 15:20
It is rather sad as I too was a long time purchaser of the magazine but once they became competition to the very people that spent their profits with them in advertising, and in so doing building the business and profits to then have the available funds to buy into suppliers then this, in my opinion, was the start of the end for their credibility.

cheers
FollowupID: 792687

Reply By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 20:30

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 20:30
Not another new winch brand..... the 4x4 world is full of A1 grade products..... seems every 4x4 company now sell exceptionally high quality products that are 10 times cheaper and 20 times better than the mainstream brands.

If you're after a cheap winch do you really need one or is it "look at me I have a winch".

I would sooner pay more for a known product.... but if it's only getting used for an emblem an Aldi one will do.

It must be good because the 4x4 mags say so....
AnswerID: 513843

Follow Up By: mountainman - Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 00:05

Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 00:05
pfft youve been hanging out with PJR for too long..... ha ha

if you didnt know..
roo systems and 4wd action are the same company..
owned by express publications or whatever their name is..

thats why they FLOG their own product in the mag..
sadly for the worse, was a decent mag till 3 or soo years ago..
i stopped reading it, but have a few issues un opened....
FollowupID: 792639

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 16:55

Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 16:55
Didn't know that..... just found out the also have a financial interest with Tigers11.

Just found this... pulled it of another forum

I am Charles Vella, the owner of Express Media Group which I founded 26 years ago. We publish 4WD Action. I also have a financial interest in Tigerz11 and Roo Systems.

I started 4WD Action over 200 issues ago with a view to cover the 4WD lifestyle and help 4WDers enjoy the Aussie bush for less money. Other prominent 4WD media was then, and still is, mainly concerned with expensive new vehicles and products. For 15 years 4WD Action has been showing the average Australian that you don’t need lots of money to enjoy the bush with your mates and family. This is largely the reason why 4WD Action is so popular today.

Almost 12 months ago I declared publically my intention to be financially involved in 4WD products. Our many years of testing 4WD products showed us that it’s not always the most expensive products that are the best. In nearly every case, the products that did the job and represented great value for money won our product comparisons. A year ago I decided to invest in 4WD products as I saw a real need for better priced aftermarket gear that more Australians could afford.

I have chosen to personally explain my take on the 4WD Industry as there are many untruths being circulated. I choose not to hide behind my own media and share with you what you are not being told. As far as I see it, 4WDers deserve to know where their hard-earned money is going.

The decision to get involved in the selling of products was met with a great deal of industry outrage but much support from our readers – in fact, our readership in the 12 months to March grew 18%. This tells us that our readers believe we have made the right decision.

The financial cost of my decision was the cancellation or non-renewal of over $2 million dollars of advertising. We expected this to happen, as Tigerz and Roo competed directly with some of our advertisers, but someone had to give the public access to more affordable prices for quality 4WD and camping gear so that they could enjoy the outdoors.
At the 5 big shows Tigerz and Roo attended many fans applauded us for giving them access to affordable products. The response at these shows has simply been overwhelming, and I can understand this would have upset some competitors.
The recent banning of Roo Systems and Tigerz11 from the Melbourne 4x4 Show will deprive our audience from visiting these companies’ stands.

The same show promoter still wishes to advertise in our magazines for that same show! Despite the treatment we received we will run their ads.

We are providing to 4WDers what Aldi and Costco are providing in other markets – not everyone can afford top brands.
I have put everything on the line and borrowed against my assets to fund the stock that is being provided to dealers – all products are supplied on consignment, so that the public can buy their gear at the online price, but can save freight by picking up locally.

We know how hard it is for small business and have fully funded all our Australian dealers by giving them the products to sell with no outlay upfront for the business owner. They only pay us for goods after they have sold them. Because of this unique structure, that no other 4WD company has offered, our dealers are growing their businesses and creating new jobs for Australians. It saddens me to hear false accusations that we are taking away jobs from Australians, when in fact we are creating many of them. Maybe if other players in the industry offered the same opportunities for small business and lowered their own profit margin, maybe even more jobs could be added.

I know that most products you buy for your 4WD are made in Asia, including many of the vehicles themselves. Don’t be fooled by claims of supporting Australian industry – many of the products that Tigerz and Roo sell compete with imports made in the same countries as some competitors’ products.

While our products like most others are made overseas we have created many new jobs for Australians. Our dealer network is over 50 companies strong, and growing rapidly.

I have risked what has taken 26 years to build to ensure the public can get decent products cheaply. This is very much a David and Goliath battle – I am doing this with my own money, and taking on a whole industry.

People have accused me of being greedy, but this fight has cost me plenty.

The industry needs a shake-up.

Look at air-travel – we needed Virgin to get a better deal.

Look at the cost of accommodation – WOTIF.com and similar sites changed that landscape.

Look at the increasing popularity of Aldi and Costco.

Tigerz11 and Roo Systems operate on modest margins, and the buyer enjoys the benefit.

Many aftermarket manufacturers will say that a lot of the reason for their higher prices is to justify the cost of R&D. Even using an estimate of the industry employing up to 100 engineers and even assuming they are paid $100,000 each that’s $10 million. We are talking about an industry that is turning over around $1 billion annually – that equates to around 1% of turnover being spent on R&D. We also invest a lot of money on R&D yet our prices are still much lower.

It is beyond belief that anyone from the public, the media, or the 4WD industry can question the morals of a much smaller company, such as ours, risking everything to offer customers better deals.

Who is really standing up for the battlers? Much of the 4WD industry along with some media outlets, that stand to benefit from the increased advertising their support brings, is fighting against us. I’m not telling you which products to buy and never will. I just want 4WDers to have more choice. As long as the customer wins, 4WDing will only benefit as a whole. Without more companies and the public challenging the big players of the industry, prices will never become affordable.
Competition of this kind, while upsetting to some established players is what the industry and 4WDers badly need. I have never been afraid to fight for what I believe is right, nor stand up for those who I believe are being unfairly treated.
If I have been able to contribute in making 4WDing more affordable in Australia I will consider our efforts to be worthwhile.

Charles Vella

I can understand where the other advertisers are coming from but end of the day it's a business proposition and some propositions have dire consequences.

Sure there are many who think he has done the right thing but most things like this the line between being honest and truthfulness becomes blurred and the consumer in most cases lose out big time...... especially when money is involved.

I don't agree with his interest and having a captive audience to spruik to is not overly moral.

I stopped buying their mags long ago due to their one eyed practices, views and the low end creative journalism.
FollowupID: 792694

Reply By: mbw650 - Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 08:16

Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 08:16
I am embarrassed to say that I have an Aldi winch on my troop carrier, it was purchased as a throw away item to pull down several trees on a property. I had no intention of keeping it, but the wife said use it until it dies then I would get authorisation for a new one.
It's been 3 years of pulling down trees, dragging cows out of dams, epic trips and retrievals of a heavily loaded troopy all over the country. The bloody thing has refused to die, I have taken the tell tale sticker off to avoid embarrassment and always had the Tirfor in case it gave up.
So I can't automatically knock the cheap winches, but I do agree that the opinion expressed by certain magazines about a previously mentioned brand should be taken with suspicion. With certain companies featuring so heavily in said magazine and featuring heavily on show stands and DVDs, they are so far up each others back sides they must be gagging by now.
AnswerID: 513856

Follow Up By: edwin - Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 21:57

Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 21:57
go the aldi winch, I think ocolone needs to have a closer look at these winches, like you said they are hard to kill, very very similar to a warn winch in my book, I know of many guys that have these and have the same opinion as you.
you dont always get what you pay for with cheapies
FollowupID: 793691

Reply By: cookie1 - Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 10:30

Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 10:30
Off Topic I know but,

when Express Media bought into Roos Systems and Tigerz I think they lost their independence and credibility, I used to buy the mag but then wondered why some of their long term advertisers stopped and the DVD featured so heavily the products from these 2 companies even winning awards and such like.

The unfortunate thing is though that their reputation of customer service is exceedingly poor and I would not buy a winch or any other product from either of these companies from the experiences I have read about, but will give them a A+ for their persistence and tenacity of trying to get me to continue a subscription

cheers
AnswerID: 513862

Follow Up By: Member - Legendts - Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 12:55

Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 12:55
I'll go along with you on your statements so X 2 from me.
FollowupID: 792665

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 13:51

Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 13:51
Exactly. X 3

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 792672

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Sunday, Jun 30, 2013 at 18:48

Sunday, Jun 30, 2013 at 18:48
X4.
I was one of those that suffered the poor aftermarket service of their winches. I bought a Warn the next time around, shelling out the dollars hurt but figure I would get over that with time and I know I can get it serviced anywhere in Australia
FollowupID: 792910

Reply By: Crackles - Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 19:04

Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 19:04
Chris they are a lower end winch, one that I wouldn't rely heavily on. Of the two that I have had experience with one failed to work (less than a year old) & the other on it's maiden use made a loud growling noise when backing off under load. The scary thing about that one was the owner didn't think that was abnormal. While I doubt this is necessarily indicative of all their winches there may well be an unerderlying quality issue.
Using winches every week for work my take on them is to recommend buying the best quality you can afford as they are a recovery item where at times our expensive 4by & well-being is literally hanging by a wire.
Cheers Craig........
AnswerID: 513882

Reply By: Chris v4 - Sunday, Jun 30, 2013 at 16:46

Sunday, Jun 30, 2013 at 16:46
I had a problem with a ROO systems product & could not have been happier with their after asales service
AnswerID: 514035

Reply By: Member - Chris and Lindsay (VI - Sunday, Jun 30, 2013 at 17:46

Sunday, Jun 30, 2013 at 17:46
Thanks to all for the input. We are serious off roaders and are replacing a stuffed winch we bought 2 nd hand. Image means nothing to us. We just want a bullet proof winch for that time you can't afford a stuff up. Value for money with quality.
AnswerID: 514038

Sponsored Links