CB radios

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 07, 2001 at 01:00
ThreadID: 103 Views:2046 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Im looking at buying a CB radio, are they all the same or do you get better quality the more you spend, and what sort of distance should I expect to receive.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mike Pavey - Saturday, Feb 24, 2001 at 01:00

Saturday, Feb 24, 2001 at 01:00
Matt
I presume you are referring to a UHF (ie FM) CB, as opposed to the old AM 27mh CBs. Most people are moving to FM because of the better quality signal. GME are Australian made and good quality. Make sure you buy an aerial to match the radio and the sort of driving you will do ie open plains vs mountanous. Uniden are made in Japan and are OK. As you would expect UHFs are twice the price of AM CBs at about $400+ vs $200+. The dearer models have better features such as remote head, cell call, pageing etc. Good luck
AnswerID: 222

Follow Up By: Mike Pavey - Saturday, Feb 24, 2001 at 01:00

Saturday, Feb 24, 2001 at 01:00
CBs are line of sight only although you can often pick up people at greater distances, depending on the aerial used. Also the Duplex function enables you greater distance through the use of repeater stations. This function is generally available on the more expensive models.
FollowupID: 33

Reply By: Darryn- Tuesday, Mar 06, 2001 at 01:00

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2001 at 01:00
Matt all Uhf Cbs have the repeater function but I suggest you find a Four Wheel drive or radio club and ask them as they will be able to explain and show you everything you need to know.
regds Darryn
AnswerID: 246

Sponsored Links