colorado squealing sound

Submitted: Monday, Jul 01, 2013 at 08:00
ThreadID: 103031 Views:4688 Replies:11 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, wondering if anyone can help. I have a high pitched squealing/singing noise coming from the engine bay. I thought it may have been brakes, as stated in earlier post, but they are all good. Seems to be in time with engine revolutions but dosnt start till about 40kmh. Belts are both good. Its driving me nuts. Any ideas??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: KevinE - Monday, Jul 01, 2013 at 08:16

Monday, Jul 01, 2013 at 08:16
G'day Croc,

Even though the belts appear good, they may still be the cause. Put a small amount of water onto them & the pulley's when the engine is switched off & cold - start the car & go for a drive.

If the noise has gone, you now know the cause. If it hasn't, you've eliminated belts as the issue.

Good luck with it!

Kevin.
AnswerID: 514061

Follow Up By: Keith H7 - Monday, Jul 01, 2013 at 09:09

Monday, Jul 01, 2013 at 09:09
If you suspect it is the belts, rub a little candle wax or sunlight soap on the insides of the belts.

Better off if you are near a motor accessories shop, there is some stuff you can buy in a can...not sure what it is called.

Sounds to me like a slipping belt.
FollowupID: 792937

Reply By: Lyn W3 - Monday, Jul 01, 2013 at 08:21

Monday, Jul 01, 2013 at 08:21
Check for a cat.
AnswerID: 514062

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 06:39

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 06:39
The Bee Gees?
FollowupID: 793000

Reply By: snow - Monday, Jul 01, 2013 at 08:50

Monday, Jul 01, 2013 at 08:50
Alternator bearing perhaps
AnswerID: 514065

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Jul 01, 2013 at 09:21

Monday, Jul 01, 2013 at 09:21
Or tensioner bearing (if the Colorado has a tensioner)
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 792939

Reply By: Ross M - Monday, Jul 01, 2013 at 11:05

Monday, Jul 01, 2013 at 11:05
Croc
Does it ONLY do it while driving???
IF only while driving then it is most likely the outer CV's where they enter the suspension/axle support. If only while driving then spray some Lanolin in where the cv disappears into the hub/axle unit. The seals run dry and squeals. Very common on Collies BT50 and Dmax.

If it squeals with engine running and not driving then it will most likely be the belts. Pre 2012 Collies, like Dmax, have a 7PK belt and a v belt. After some wear approx 40,000km the v belt wears and tries to run at a different speed to the 7PK. The wide 7rib belt wins every time and because they both are driven off the crank pulley the v belt is now made to slip and it squeals. Stupid design. If left and a new belt not fitted it will be destroyed because of the mismatch in speeds.

Depending on when it happens these are the two most likely. Depending which one, it is no use to spray stuff on the belts to check, One happens with driving and the other happens with a few revs. If it is the belt option then ONLY replacement will stop it for a while until it too wears. There is an alternative to fit a different shorter belt if required.

Ross M
AnswerID: 514071

Follow Up By: gbc - Monday, Jul 01, 2013 at 18:42

Monday, Jul 01, 2013 at 18:42
^^^ cut, paste and save this info ^^^ if you don't need this info today you'll need it tomorrow. There's bugger all wrong with a colly and what's written up there is what you WILL experience some time in the next 100 000 kms ;)
About the only other squeal i can add is the front brake disks squealing when you go around corners will be a sure sign your mechanic has failed to complete the wheel bearing retension. 150kms on mine - due to be replaced at 5 years old but still drives like a new car. Certainly doesn't polish up like one though, it's been well used and there isn't a straight panel left on it.
Coloradoisms - the key has the unlock button proud on one side and will make you life a misery in left in a tight jeans pocket, the door trim tears the hairs out of my right thigh sometimes to make sure the driver is alert, the high beam light is bright enough to be one, the catch on the fuel door needs bending back once every 100 000 kms, the auto likes to be in low range to tow in sand. That's about it. Enjoy - it won't let you down.
FollowupID: 792973

Follow Up By: Ross M - Monday, Jul 01, 2013 at 22:43

Monday, Jul 01, 2013 at 22:43
gbc
Just interested to know if you have replaced your front shocks, possibly the rears too.
I replaced mine at 5000km with some aftermarket ones off a Mazda. !00% improvement over the original soft, squashy not absorbing, rebounding crap it was supplied with when new.

They look like shockers, feel like shockers, taste like shockers and possibly won't leak but they just don't work.

Re the fan belt stuff, the following as a post from a forum memeber who changed his belt size.

Quote.

'The solution is to fit a shorter a/c belt (Gates 9412HD, which measures 13A1051mm) My belt now runs from the fan pulley and over the idler to the a/c compressor directly, then back to the fan pulley. It no longer goes around the crankshaft pulley. Using the fan as the drive for the a/c, which intern is being driven from the 7PK alternator belt. The 7PK has plenty of capacity to take the extra drive of the a/c, in fact many manufacturers use a 7PK or similar multi V to drive all the ancillaries hanging off a motor. The shorter 13A belt also appears to run smoother and has less vibration than the longer original belt".

I have new short belt for when mine squeals.
Cheers
Ross M
FollowupID: 792993

Follow Up By: gbc - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 05:22

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 05:22
Yes Ross, the factory setup was gone in the first week of ownership. Having two levels of suspension, the cab chassis models were workmanlike in the ride and the tub bodies were - plush. So plush it reminded me of driving my old shorty cruiser noddy wagon. All our utes carry tools and gear so they need upgrading anyway. Mine got ironman shocks all round and ironman h.d. springs in the rear. I didn't think they'd last but they are still kicking goals.
I had a little bit of idler bearing squeal from the unsealed bearing eating salt air, but surprisingly have had nil belt trouble and still have the factory setup. The belts get changed fairly regularly though, I have no interest in finding out how long I can make a consumable last on a car. I carry spares but don't want to take them out of the plastic and get my hands dirty ;)
FollowupID: 792998

Follow Up By: Croc nsw - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 07:23

Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 07:23
gbc
Thanks for the info, yes have had hairs plucked from my legs many times, always unlocking/locking the doors when keys are in my pocket, get a blue spot in my vision if I glance at high beam light, lol.
Havnt had the other probs yet but appreciate the tips.
FollowupID: 793077

Reply By: 569 - Monday, Jul 01, 2013 at 11:18

Monday, Jul 01, 2013 at 11:18
In my 09 Collie, a squeal has happened a few times - at about 80Klicks and lasted a few Ks only - does not seem related to either road speed or revs ?? - did not last long enough to find where originates - belt sound way less expensive than CV ?

Richard
AnswerID: 514075

Reply By: Croc nsw - Monday, Jul 01, 2013 at 13:48

Monday, Jul 01, 2013 at 13:48
Thanks for the replys, v belt is new and as it only happens while driving im leaning towards the cv suggestion. Will try some lube spray and let you know how it goes.

Cheers Croc
AnswerID: 514083

Reply By: olcoolone - Monday, Jul 01, 2013 at 20:26

Monday, Jul 01, 2013 at 20:26
First you have to workout when the noise starts...... sure I know it's above 40kph, does it happen in all gears, when you turning or driving straight, when you hit a bump, what happens when you apply the brakes, increase or decrease your revs, have it in a different gear, coast in neutral, wobble the steering wheel, air con off and on, headlights heated rear window and inside fan on high speed, fresh or recirculated air.

Does the noise change in the wet or dry, is it an induction or road induced noise, could it be wind noise, is the noise being transferred from another area?

I know I have asked some stupid questions but they all help in diagnosing what, where and how the noise is being generated.

AnswerID: 514096

Reply By: Flash32 - Monday, Jul 01, 2013 at 22:17

Monday, Jul 01, 2013 at 22:17
Croc, I know this may be a completley different set of facts but I get a high pitched noise when my Prado is in idle. Three dealers later it remained. After walking around the rear and placing my foot on the exaust it stopped. It appears that some rubber buffer onto some part just give it a chance to annoy the crap out of me. A quick spray of silicone keeps it quiet for a couple of months and away it goes again. Underneath to repeat the procedure and problem solved for the time being. I am still not sure what bracket it is though Cheers RodnEls
AnswerID: 514110

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 06:36

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 06:36
Croc

Could it be escaping exhaust gas? Cracked manifold, broken manifold stud etc

Bob
AnswerID: 514119

Reply By: reesman - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 20:37

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 20:37
Croc nsw, My Colorado does the same thing. Our local dealer mechanic showed me how to spray CRC/WD40 on the inside of front hubs. The seals appear to get dust & more particularly after rain, squeal like hell. It fixes the problem for a while, usually til the next rain.
AnswerID: 514158

Reply By: Croc nsw - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 07:18

Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 07:18
Ross M, thanks your suggestion seems to have worked, thanks too to everyone else for your input, incl Reesman. Hopefully I wont need the other info but glad to have it if needed in the future. Don't know about the "Bee Gees" suggestion, lol.
AnswerID: 514174

Sponsored Links