Overheating Troopy

Submitted: Monday, Jul 01, 2013 at 21:12
ThreadID: 103049 Views:2578 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I recently posted a blog about my overheating Troopy after putting a new 1HZ motor in it with a Denco turbo and all the extras. I received lots of great advice and am looking at an intercooler for the turbo that is mounted above the motor with a bonnet scoop letting air flow through and sealed to bonnet with rubber. This would be an air to air intercooler as im trying to bring the EGT down 100 degrees and make it more efficient.Has anyone got an intercooler like this on a troopy and can give me approx. EGT's when towing or just normal driving. Mine are approx 350 degrees when just driving but shoot up to 500+ when im towing the van (2.5t) and they bring the motor temp up as well till its boiling. I picked this type of intercooler so I am not clogging the front or back of radiator with other stuff that will all require cooling.I was going to get a bonnet scoop from wreckers unless someone can point me to a good seller or site for them.

Cheers
Coogs
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Monday, Jul 01, 2013 at 22:11

Monday, Jul 01, 2013 at 22:11
If your engine is overheating it is likely the injection timing is retarded and causing more fuel to be injected to get the power you need, but the engine can't burn it effectively and an injection timing check would be a good thing to do, if not already been done.

The other thing is the engine may be overfuelled for the airflow through the engine so that will also heat up the engine and exhaust.

If you have larger diameter tyres they will cause more fuel to be used and more load on the engine, both will try and overheat the system.

The viscous fan clutch unit should be checked to a make sure it is positively driving the fan and definitely causing air displacement through the radiator. If this isn't working properly then you definitely will have trouble and into the future too.

Bull bars and driving light obstructions will also reduce essential cooling air flow.

Not only the weight of the van but it's aerodynamics may be causing more load than you realize.
You didn't say what gear you use, if an auto the load may be heating the trans oil and it has to be cooled too, usually by the engine system which is already running at a max.

All this needs to be addressed before considering any intercooler.

The turbo has the ability to cause more heating than normal if everything isn't in balance with the cooling ability of the radiator, the exhaust free flowing.

Think turbo, think more heat stress on everything, ok when all is working correctly, at the moment it may not be.

Ross M
AnswerID: 514109

Reply By: Member - Redbakk (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 00:02

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 00:02
Hey Coogs, I have the identical set up as yours including the 2.5 ton van and I have a safari turbo fitted and NO intercooler, and it will still over heat when towing IF you keep your foot on the pedal, over fueling is the problem.
I am assuming yours is mechanical injection like mine and so you control the fuel going in with your foot position like me.
I only tow in 4th gear and use the gears a lot and have a EGT gauge to watch my post turbo temperature which I keep to a max of 615 degrees C no more or I change down and lift the right foot.
I also have a engine head monitoring temp gauge as well to watch the engine temp, this has an alarm when it gets too hot, but usually the airconditioning stops working first,( this is controlled by a heat switch in the engine block) and this also lets me know that I need to back off.
I do a lot of trips up north, towing the van, and the temp usually runs at 350 to 550 degrees C, again I watch the EGT gauge.
Every 2 years I have the radiator and cooling system flushed out and new coolant added and I also have a water loss alarm fitted as well.
I lifted the bonnet 20 mm all round to allow a greater air flow and with all this I have been towing many years now and she pulls like a train and I love her...reliable plus.
Thinking of trading her in for the 4.5 v8 version which has lots more power but it's hard to let her go, they grow on you.
AnswerID: 514114

Reply By: mountainman - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 00:16

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 00:16
the egt guage is the best investment youve made soo far.

500 is fine..

a oil cooler, and intercooler would be good..

keeps the oil cooler, and the intercooler will do more again..
but you will need to get dynoed to make the most of it..

if you want some serious grunt..
well your getting the intercooler..
make sure when you want to more stick, keep custom turbos in perth in your mind.
that guy is making turbos haul ass..
even the 1hz.. all the way to the 4.5td v8 in the cruiser..

power to burn....
tow monster
AnswerID: 514115

Reply By: Batt's - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 02:28

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 02:28
I think from memory you were putting a larger radiator in I could be wrong though. Has the turbo been tuned by someone who knows what their doing that could be the main problem, is your air filter clean, is the radiator cooling fan cutting in correctly. Do you have the factory snorkel if so doe's that supply enough air now & make sure there are no splits in the flexible intake hose on the motor is the exhaust standard or larger to help it breath do you have larger tyres on the troopy just some of the many things that can make it run hot. A front mount is a lot more effective if you are serious about cooling the air and yes a bit of mucking around to set up with the pipe work but worth it in the long run.
AnswerID: 514116

Follow Up By: Batt's - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 02:48

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 02:48
Also there's no guarantee that a top mount will work correctly I've been told if you get it wrong and don't set it up without testing the air flow you might not get a sufficient amount of air flow required for cooling because of the volume of air coming threw the front of the car and disturbing the air trying to flow threw the scoop. I enquired about a top mount for my patrol & was advised that front mount was the best option and that's even with 4.2ltr patrols having an inherit cooling problem.
FollowupID: 792997

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 10:55

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 10:55
One of the biggest problems with top mounted intercoolers is they suffer from what is known as heat soak where the under bonnet temp soaks into the intercooler increasing the inlet air temp.

This is common at low speeds like when you are 4wdriving..... hence why most fit electric fans.
FollowupID: 793016

Reply By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 10:51

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 10:51
An intercooler will not help your EGT one bit, the only advantage it may have is it will produce denser colder air helping your fuel burn more efficiently making it run a bit more leaner.

By getting the Landcruiser without an intercooler dynoed and the fueling corrected for the idea burn will be more beneficial than an intercooler for lowing EGT and engine temps.

You have to find the cause of the overheating and rectify that first before looking at other add on bits.... bit like having one leg shorter and getting a special pair of shoe to compensate when all along it was you back that was out causing the problem.

AnswerID: 514126

Reply By: Member - Noel K (NT) - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 11:07

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 11:07
Hey Coogs,
I have a 105 series Landcruiser 2004 and went the whole hog last year, turbo, top mount intercooler, 3" exhaust, ETG, and dyno tune. I am in Darwin and the average temp here is 32 degrees. I tow an off road camper trailer at about 1.5 tons fully loaded and at around 115 kph the ETG sits at 350 deg. If I need to pass a road train, and I can do it easily in top gear and the temp never goes past 420 deg even when hitting 120 kph (130kph speed limit up here).
I purchased all the gear from "Cross Country 4X4" in Adelaide (no association what so ever) and received the best service and no end of help and advice from them. Talk to Jon or Grant. I highly recommend them.
Make sure you install an oil catch can to keep the oil sludge out of the intercooler!
I fitted a "Mann Hummell Provent 200" oil air separator, works perfect.
I did the lot myself (except dyno tune) for $4700 including dyno tube, although I got ripped off a bit on the dyno tune.
The Cruiser is now an absolute pleasure to drive.

Noel K.
AnswerID: 514128

Reply By: Member - arrows50 - Friday, Jul 05, 2013 at 13:31

Friday, Jul 05, 2013 at 13:31
hi,
a bit late with reply ? but similar problem with troopy, found viscious fab hub slipping
removed hub & add two tubes of silicon fluid fixed.
helped ?
seeya
ray
AnswerID: 514335

Sponsored Links