2003 105 diesel cruiser lsd woes

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 09:15
ThreadID: 103054 Views:1578 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
looking at detroit soft locker options for the rear of my 2003 105, but there appears to be none readily installable(not a word) apparently the softlocker can be fit to the existing lsd housing of the rear diff, any experience out there,? these are not any cheaper than the air systems and are a solid unit , high pressure air in my diffs freaks me out and have seen some (few, not many, yes they are usually great) blow seals spill oil, engage and disengage or vice versa unpredictably, so pleaese mech lockers only if there is any advice out there?
by the way the 105/100 is a beast for traction loss (probably the three tons and infamous tojo lsd) iv driven dozens of 4wd in lots of places , do lots of work with local club, never been interested in lock diffs, made the decision when i couldn't get of the wet lawn on the side of the motorway....without even tearing it up , had to get out and engage front end to get back on the highway, so no the driver had nothing to do with this one, new 8 inch duellers a/t, the lawn shoulder was flat,
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: desray (WA - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 09:36

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 09:36
http://www.4wdsystems.com.au/index.php?id=29

Work good in a Patrol .
AnswerID: 514121

Follow Up By: 105crooza - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 09:58

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 09:58
arent 4wdsystems lokka lockers only
FollowupID: 793011

Reply By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 10:41

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 10:41
Not a big fan of auto locking/unlocking diffs.

They can be a real pain in some conditions like when you're driving along a slippery decline.... they want to push the back of the vehicle down the hill.

The advantage with a diff that you can lock yourself is it is more user friendly and can be used anywhere.

Have you looked at the Elocker.

LSD diffs are a thing of the past and electronic lockers are becoming more common in OEM applications.
AnswerID: 514124

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 12:35

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 12:35
Dunno where you get the idea that the diff housing is going to be full of high pressure air and blow seals and generally misbehave.
I have had air lockers in my 105 for 8 years, over 200,000km...absolutely faultless, and they have had plenty of use.
No doubt there are thousands of others out there similar...
AnswerID: 514130

Follow Up By: Member - Craig F (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 11:00

Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 11:00
Over time the seals do break down and sooner or later they will fail. On saying this if you have a locker and use it on a regular basis you should have your diffs re-build periodically due to the stresses involved.
Inside an ARB Locker there are several o rings worth a paltry 15$ when they fail you can pressurise the diff. Being mindful that you should also regularly blow out your breathers. Thus the air flow won’t cause an issue other than a locker that doesn’t work. If the breather is blocked the air will need to go somewhere usaually the seals....
I pick my car up today as it is currently in getting the rear diff and axel bearings replaced, backlash re-set and the locker serviced. The front diff will need doing in another couple of years.

Craig
FollowupID: 793103

Sponsored Links