Which track is the best to Lake Eyre?

Submitted: Friday, Apr 26, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1031 Views:2765 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
The MALS are planning their month long trip and don't want to miss Lake Eyre. We would love to camp at the lake. Which is the best track - via Muloorina or the road out from William Creek? We are self sufficient but don't really want to camp all alone. Should there be lots of travellers around June/July? It just gets a bit spooky "out there" sometimes!
Also,What is the road like from William Creek to coober Pedy? We want to follow the Oodnadatta Track north AND see Coober Pedy but don't have time for both - we'll have to leave one for next time. What do you suggest?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bill - Friday, Apr 26, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Apr 26, 2002 at 00:00
Hello fellow Prado drivers! I've been to Lake Eyre via both Muloorina and William Creek. If there's any water you'll see it via William Creek. Went there in June 2000 when it was quite full and there were only salt pans at the Muloorina side. You'll find fellow campers at Muloorina Station and I think there might even be drop toilets there now - a phone call to the station is a good idea. We camped at Muloorina then moved on to Coward Springs on the Oodnadatta Track. There are toilets and showers there and it's a real little oasis on the track - because of the springs of course. The showers and toilets are made from sleepers from the old Ghan railway and sleepers also are provided for firewood at the campsite - I think burning the old sleepers is encouraged in the area. It's a good day trip from Coward Springs to the Lake and a look at William Creek. You don't really need 4wd at any time but it's nice to have it available! Don't know much about the William Creek to Coober Pedy section but Maree to William Creek is fine - 80-100kph is comfortable with care of course and we did it in dry weather. The roads up there are dramatically different if it rains. There is a website for SA road conditions - check the link on this site. I'd choose Coober Pedy in preference to continuing north I think. I think there'll be lots of travellers - June July is popular because it's cooler - quite cold at night!! We got to Coward Springs early and got a spot but people who came later in the day missed out - it's the only decent spot to camp in the area I think - showers, toilets and some shade. Mind you it was very busy there in June 2000 because of the water in the lake.
Have a great trip and post some reports of what you do please!
AnswerID: 3150

Follow Up By: Peter - Friday, May 03, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, May 03, 2002 at 00:00
G-day Bill
Those Prado's must be good in sand as we went out to Halligan Bay from William Creek about a month after you and we certainly were glad to have a 4 x 4(80 series cruiser)
I couldn't imagine even attempting the entire trip without a four wheel drive - it would be impossible.

Peter
FollowupID: 1345

Reply By: Michelle - ExplorOz - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Apr 30, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Chris - David and I have been to Lake Eyre via both access tracks and have camped at both locations. Camping is more popular at the end of the Halligan Bay track (out from William Creek) and it is probably a better vantage point for your first view of Lake Eyre as from this end the view is stark white. From the Muloorina end, you don't get the glaring white and rarely see water. We have also travelled the track from William Creek to Coober Pedy and its no problem whatsoever but very quiet. If you do take this track look for a great camp alongside a fab river called Lake Caddiwarrabirracanna - longest place name in Oz but a great spot not many people know of. Its on the right, about 70km before CP. Personally, I hate Coober Pedy and the dust is unbearable but you have to go there once in your life. It's a fascinating town and you can get away from the dust storms if you go underground. It is amazingly well stocked and is a major tourism centre so it depends on what you want from your holiday.
AnswerID: 3219

Sponsored Links