Ampfibian

After doing some research it appears there are 2 different Ampfibians, RV01 and RV02. Anyone know the difference.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, Jul 07, 2013 at 20:37

Sunday, Jul 07, 2013 at 20:37
I think some of the information is out of date.

I seem to remember the RV01, had only the 10 amp circuit breaker and is neither legal or manufacturerd any more.

The current version as required by fairly recent changes to the standard has both an overload circuit breaker AND an earth leakage circuit breaker

If you check the currrent ampfibian web page ( singular) it shows only one product and mentions no model numbers.

cheers
AnswerID: 514457

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Monday, Jul 08, 2013 at 12:09

Monday, Jul 08, 2013 at 12:09
To clarify the use of the RV01 and its legality I queried Ampfibian. Following is their reply.

"There are no issues with using your RV-01.
We actually discontinued the RV-01 over a year ago. This was due to the state electrical regulators suggesting they would prefer us to only sell the RV-02 as it includes RCD protection. There was nothing unsafe about the RV-01, just that they believed people that buy it may be confused as to the limited safety aspects of this unit against the RV-02."
FollowupID: 793513

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Jul 08, 2013 at 12:21

Monday, Jul 08, 2013 at 12:21
Yes Rod, I can understand the possibility of confusion. The RV-02 will cover all situations. Good decision.
Incidentally it is quite OK to connect a portable RCD (e.g. RV-02) to a circuit which already has an RCD. It does not interfere with the safety operation. In the event of a fault, one or the other (or both) will operate.
Interesting that some retailers are still offering RV-01's. Old stock maybe?
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 793515

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Jul 09, 2013 at 08:52

Tuesday, Jul 09, 2013 at 08:52
The FACT is that the Australian standard and thus the law, as currently written only allows such devices ( a device to connect a 15 amp device to a 10 amp outlet) IF and only IF they contain an earth leakage circuit breaker.

The Ampfibian IS a "Prescribed Article" and requires a current approval to be sold.

Such devices would not be granted approval and thus could not be sold unless they contained an earth leakage circuit breaker.

I have spoken direct to government officers in the electrical office in my state.....they are well aware of these devices.....and these are the FACTS.

These devices are contravercial and required a rewrite of the standards to allow their use and there have been at least 2 ammendments to the standards in this process.

My understanding is that these devices go against accepted electrical engineering practice and where only allowed because the alternative was the very common use of cables with a 10 amp plug and a 15 amp socket AND no protection, which remain illegal and arguably far more dangerous.

At least one major Australian supplier has discontinued manufacture of devices that where previously approved under the original change to the standard and are no longer allowed.

Some view the requirement for earth leakage in the devices as pointless......but that is a whole other argument.

If you have an older version of ampfibian, it is as safe as it ever was and ( as I understand it) perfectly legal to use.

HOWever it is my understanding that it would NOW be illegal to manufacture or sell such a device if it did not contain an earth leakage device.

Those are the facts as I have found them.

cheers
FollowupID: 793583

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 09, 2013 at 11:25

Tuesday, Jul 09, 2013 at 11:25
Bantam, read my post above with the explanation from AmpFibian. The facts as you understand them may be clarified. If you can't take note of the manufacturer, then of whom should you take note. If these devices are so 'dangerous' why haven't the 'government officers' mounted a public safety campaign.
FollowupID: 793588

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Jul 09, 2013 at 13:51

Tuesday, Jul 09, 2013 at 13:51
Read my post above...the FACTS as I understand them are from reading the standards in force and speaking direct to government officers.

FACTS that can be confirmed in writing from published sources.

Not from the dismissive comments of a small time manufacturer of a single product.

Rest assured that an approval for a device would not be granted in any state under the current standards without an earth leakage device.

yet another case of a failure to comprehend and exagerating comments.

It is the very common use of dangerous unprotected 10 amp to 15 amp conversion leads that is dangerous.

In any other situation the feeding of a 15 amp circuit from a protected 10 amp supply would be considered very bad practice...more stupid, unreliable and inconvienient than dangerous.

As for public safety campaigns....OH for goodness sakes...in this day and age, it takes a very drastic situation for a government to cough up on a public safety campaign...particularly if there are no votes in it.

cheers
FollowupID: 793602

Reply By: olcoolone - Sunday, Jul 07, 2013 at 20:45

Sunday, Jul 07, 2013 at 20:45
RV01 is the original still available model and the RV02 comes with a stainless mounting bracket plus it's in limited edition RED so you can brag to all the other caravanners when you pull up at 2pm in the arvo for the night....LOL
AnswerID: 514458

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Jul 07, 2013 at 23:10

Sunday, Jul 07, 2013 at 23:10
Where is the RV-01 available from? The Ampfibian site only offers the RV-02. You can have it with or without the stainless steel hook.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 793491

Follow Up By: Member - Rosss - Monday, Jul 08, 2013 at 07:59

Monday, Jul 08, 2013 at 07:59
RV01 is available on E-bay.
FollowupID: 793498

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Monday, Jul 08, 2013 at 14:53

Monday, Jul 08, 2013 at 14:53
Yeap...OPPS.....RV02 is the base model and RV02S is the limited edition.

Peter is correct.
FollowupID: 793525

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Jul 08, 2013 at 08:37

Monday, Jul 08, 2013 at 08:37
The RV-01 has overload (10A) protection only and sells for around $180.
The RV-02 has both overload and Earth Leakage (RCD) protection and sells for around $230.
If you are certain that your supply is already RCD protected then the RV-01 is adequate.
Note that the Ampfibian site states "The RV-02 (orange) is the only Ampfbian Legal in QLD"
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 514471

Reply By: Caravan & RV World - Tuesday, Jul 09, 2013 at 12:39

Tuesday, Jul 09, 2013 at 12:39
We have been selling the Ampfibian for a while now and only sell the RV02 as the RV01 has been discontinued. The Ampfibian is a MUST for all caravan and motorhome owners in Australia.

A lot of our customers take it with them on their trip so they can plug into friends power supplies to help re-charge their batteries etc. Also, it saves you the cost of a sparky at home!

You can watch a video on the product here:

http://www.caravanandrvworld.com.au/electrical-generators-and-solar/ampfibian/rv-02-ampfibian-10a-15a-240v-portable-adapter

C&RVW
AnswerID: 514514

Sponsored Links