Mootwinji National Park (Any thoughts?)

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 18, 2013 at 08:49
ThreadID: 103281 Views:2038 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I’m interested to hear the thoughts from anyone who has visited this park in recent times, whit you thought of the visit, things to do.

I am thinking of doing a run out that way via the Darling, Tilpa, White Cliffs.

I’ve been out that way many times, but never into this park.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - D&G SA - Thursday, Jul 18, 2013 at 09:16

Thursday, Jul 18, 2013 at 09:16
great place - well worth the detour. If available take the guided tour.
AnswerID: 514941

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 18, 2013 at 09:52

Thursday, Jul 18, 2013 at 09:52
G'day TL,

The Bride and I were out there recently (May). It remains one of our favourite places. There are some stunning unguided walks that show off the semi-arid scenery, landscape and geology and you can see aboriginal rock art and paintings. I found the Homestead Creek walk quite special.

If you can arrange a guided tour then you can visit the Mootwinji Historical Site. We were disappointed with the organisational aspects of this. The guides (private business, not NPWS) come out from Broken Hill, but only if there are twelve or more people interested. We like to travel in off-peak times and Mootwintji, being remote, is pretty quiet in off-peak periods so you most likely won't find 12 interested people in the campground on the spur of the moment. We could find only 10 and it was a no-go. If you can arrange a booking before you get there you might join up with other people and get the numbers. I don't have contact details at hand, but if you contact Broken Hill NPWS they will have the numbers.

It's disappointing to encounter this difficulty because the park is run jointly by NPWS and local indegenous land owners, some of whom live on site, who I'm sure would have among them someone qualified in their own terms to act as a guide. Last time I was there (2005) that's exactly what happened, but sadly no more.

Facilities are great - solar showers (be early in winter or you might miss out!), flushing loos if that floats your boat, excellent, potable bore water with taps scattered around the grounds. The campground has large sites, most shaded to a degree, some not at all so you can choose for your solar if needed.

Fires are ok - bring your own wood from outside the park. Gas BBQ and shelters are provided for those not so inclined.

We travelled Broken Hill - Mootwintji - White Cliffs. As with most outback roads, all 2wd when dry, closed when wet. Internal roads in the Park were being rebuilt when we were there, having suffered extensive flood damage in the preceding 12 months, but I don't think your Defender will care about any of this :-)

The visitors centre is about a km from the campground but under the joint management regime nothing much is going on there. Self registration, and fees are low. There's a payphone there if you need it (can't recall if it takes coins or is card only).

If you do the Gorge walk right up to the waterhole at the end you'll see a lot of damage from feral goats, particularly pollution of the waterhole with droppings. The ground is like the underneath of a woolshed. There was a successful control program running in the Park but under the joint management arrangements it has slipped and you will see the results.

We stayed a week. Could easily have stayed two, just to enjoy the peace, quiet and serenity of a special place.

Cheers

Frank

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 514943

Follow Up By: The Landy - Thursday, Jul 18, 2013 at 12:19

Thursday, Jul 18, 2013 at 12:19
Thanks Frank, just the information I was after.

Mrs Landy has wanted to go for sometime, so we will come in from Broken Hill and head back out through White Cliffs and the Paroo area.

Cheers, Baz

FollowupID: 794127

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 18, 2013 at 13:07

Thursday, Jul 18, 2013 at 13:07
Yes, Baz, explore Perry Lake, there are some magnificent rock carvings a few hundred metres to the right of the carpark as you look at the lake. Look for a large, flat, reddish-brown rocky outcrop near the waters edge - there aren't many of those.

Plenty of water in the lake at the moment.

It's a pity you can't legally camp there, as there's plenty to explore - more than a day's worth. There are no facilities, but I think you should be allowed to if you're totally self-contained. Unfortunately NPWS doesn't have a framework of rules that supports that. If you feel the same way call into White Cliffs NPWS office and make the suggestion.

The new NPWS office at White Cliffs is worth a visit just to talk to the senior lady there - a very interesting character who calls a spade a bloody shovel. We stayed at White Cliffs CP (nice little place) and checked out some of the opal industry and its product before heading out to Perry Lake.

A great alternative, instead of turning right to White Cliffs, is turn left and head to Tibooburra and the Sturt NP. Would have done it this last trip, but the weather precluded it.

Cheers

Frank
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 794129

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 18, 2013 at 14:05

Thursday, Jul 18, 2013 at 14:05
" Look for a large, flat, reddish-brown rocky outcrop near the waters edge - there aren't many of those. "

As in you should be able to find them easily enough.

F
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 794135

Follow Up By: The Landy - Thursday, Jul 18, 2013 at 14:18

Thursday, Jul 18, 2013 at 14:18
Thanks Frank, we are great fans of the corner country having been out that way often, but never to this park. I wiill check out Perry Lake...

Cheers
Baz
FollowupID: 794137

Sponsored Links