Anyone travelled the Sandover through to QLD recently

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 18, 2013 at 22:02
ThreadID: 103301 Views:2399 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, we are currently in Alice Springs hopeing to travel home to Queensland via the Sandover next week but am interested in the current condition of the road. Would gratefully appreciate any comments. Thanks in advance and safe travels to all. Cheers Greg & Di
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 14:12

Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 14:12
Greg & Dianne,

Not many people, or at least EO people, seem to use the Sandover.

We went along it from the Alice, about 2 years ago, and found it very good. Were travelling in a Toyota 79 series ute. The only "bad" section was the corrugations between Arlparra community and the Arlparra Store, a distance of only a few clicks. Corro's deep enough to hide the Titanic :-) Well they were rough, but it didn't last long. Then at the community, you have the pleasure of about 15-20 kms of bitumen, as you head east.

Once past the Ampilatwatja turnoff, the road is less impressive, but still good travelling.

Once past Argadargada turnoff, you begin to get glimpses of open downs country as you get closer to Georgina Downs and Lake Nash stations.

There would have been quite a bit of roadtrain activity over the past months, shifting stock. What it has done to the road would be open to conjecture.
We found the drive interesting, with lots of different vegetation, and a remoteness about the whole drive. From the signposts we went north up through Austral Downs, as it's a quick way to Camooweal.

Enjoy your drive,
Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 515028

Reply By: RobMac (QLD_Member) - Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 18:39

Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 18:39
We recently travelled along the sandover Hwy up to the point where u turn off Nth onto Binns Track and head into Davenport ranges NP. I've never used the sandover b4 and was expecting a rough/bad road but experienced the complete opposite. We were coming from Alice Springs end. The road was brilliant and even to my surprise was a BIG chunk of that Black stuff that we usually drive on.....
Not sure on the northern end but one could assume it would be good until u reached the QLD/NT border and going on past experience, this is where the road would become poor :)
Cheers..... RobM
Defender PUMA 110 "New School Tourer"
Defender 110 Tdi300 "Old School Tourer for Solo Trips"
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 515043

Sponsored Links