Pressure Vents ~ To Use or Not To Use?

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 18, 2013 at 22:05
ThreadID: 103302 Views:2954 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
What is the general consensus on whether to open the pressure vent on dusty roads, or leave it firmly closed? Thanks

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Howard P (WA) - Thursday, Jul 18, 2013 at 22:18

Thursday, Jul 18, 2013 at 22:18
Hi Shaker,

I travel with my vent in the open position, close it for oncoming traffic then re-open once the dust has settled. Works for me and keeps the dust out of the vehicle.

Howard
AnswerID: 514985

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 09:36

Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 09:36
Sorry, I should have mentioned caravan pressure vent.
FollowupID: 794169

Reply By: member - mazcan - Thursday, Jul 18, 2013 at 22:28

Thursday, Jul 18, 2013 at 22:28
hi shaker
with my new viscount van back in 1980 when I travelled the big lap and a huge amount of the north west coastal highway was still gravel the then sealed rd were very narrow causing one to have to drop of the tar to pass
I found providing I wasn't following closely behind any other vehiclesthere wasn't much traffic in those days hardly saw anyone mainly just small semi's
having the front section of the 4 seasons hatch open about an inch on the front hatch only did help pressurise the 18 ft van it was better than having it closed as with it shut the vacuum would draw in more dust through the fridge and lower door vent but with it open it definetly kept most of the dust out
cheers
AnswerID: 514986

Reply By: steamfire01 - Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 00:34

Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 00:34
Hi Shaker
My Coromal Princeton is fitted with a pressure hatch, I use it all the time and I reckon it works a treat.

I've done quite a bit of dirt road driving this trip and there's no doubt it keeps the dust out (that is provided you close all van windows and especially the shower hatch).

I use it on the highway as well, the air flow freshens the van and keeps the road dust and dirt out.

Stay safe out there!
Regards
TJ
AnswerID: 514989

Reply By: bigmarkc - Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 06:58

Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 06:58
I always have mine open on dusty roads mate.
AnswerID: 514993

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 09:53

Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 09:53
I travel with mine open. Just remember to close it before you put the Van back under the carport.
Dave.
FollowupID: 794171

Reply By: Ross M - Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 09:28

Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 09:28
If you didn't use a pressure vent for a dusty road situation then why have a pressure vent at all??
AnswerID: 515006

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 09:45

Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 09:45
I guess that was why I asked the question. A friend of mine has a caravan repair business & he said to never use it.
I had Googled it & read heaps of pros & cons. Answers ranged from virtually dust free, to dead bugs & gravel on the bed!
I know we have our fresh air vent open in our vehicles, but the vehicle is much better sealed & much more likely to develop positive pressure than a caravan.
This will be my first experience with Outback roads as we usually take our Vista RV Crossover, which is airtight & has never had any noticeable dust entry. Sadly the Vista stays home this trip.
FollowupID: 794170

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 13:49

Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 13:49
hi shaker
the only time the pressure vent may not work so well will be if you are following too closely behind other vehicles on gravel in a convoy which is the same senario for vehicles in a convoy
cheers
FollowupID: 794176

Reply By: Member - The Crow - Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 20:27

Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 20:27
Use it for sure. Our current van is our 4th. Our first was a Glendale 30ft with a sliding glass door for the main entry and a regular van door at rear for the bedroom. We traveled around the shearing sheds in western QLD and learn't very quickly that we needed to open the front vent of the first 4 seasons hatch to stop the dust coming into the van. On our first trip onto a dirt road we had a blue bedspread on the bed after the first 10ks we stopped to check the van the inside of the van was red. We towed our current van across the Great Central Road last year and had the pressure hatch open for the entire trip. If a vehicle came from the other direction we stopped until they went past and the dust settled. It also reduced the risk of windscreen damage. Some people just don't know how to slow down for oncoming traffic.
200 Series V8 Diesel
Thanks for the Rest Flying West and Flying Very Low along the track not coming back. The Crow

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 515045

Reply By: dingbat - Sunday, Jul 21, 2013 at 07:37

Sunday, Jul 21, 2013 at 07:37
I've had three vans with a pressure vent and I think I may be the source of the "dead bugs and gravel" mentioned. My current van had a roof repair and I got them to delete the existing pressure vent.

Have been travelling on dirt and dusty gravel this trip and am not suffering an influx of dust, but some outside vents eg bottom fridge have been sealed as well as the door, which is behind the axles and seems to be in an area of more dust.

My decision to not have a vent, they are a tiny little thing compared to van volume after all, was based on my observations of dust ingress with it open and closed. But in the main I was watching on TV the Australian rally where there was lots of footage of those highly modified pajeros and colorados etc hooning along all with very large vents on the roof, on one I counted five, if they need that many vents at those speeds what good is a tiny caravan one going to do. So no more vent for me.
AnswerID: 515103

Sponsored Links