Made a decision,finally

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 09:44
ThreadID: 103320 Views:2135 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day all, some of you may have read my previous threads regarding which 4wd to choose. Well, the minister of war and finance has seen fit to approve the purchase of a Pajero exceed up to the value of 60k later in the year. My research on Pajero's tells me that they are loaded with features,capable 4wds and have an excellent drivetrain, as well as a very good warranty.Before we go ahead with our purchase, can anyone give me a rundown of any issues regarding NW Pajero's, Thanx.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Skulldug - Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 10:17

Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 10:17
GBanger,

I have owned two and currently drive a Prado so can compare. I don't believe you will be disappointed with your choice. The only trap I can think of is towing. You just need to work this out in advance. They are rated to tow 3 ton but if you tow over a certain weight, the rated weight on the ball is decreased from the usual 10 per cent. I don't believe this is a problem. You just need to clarify the weights before you choose a van.

Enjoy your purchase and hang on to your MoWaF. She is a clever lady.

Cheers

Skull
AnswerID: 515062

Follow Up By: Member - Tony Z (NSW) - Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 10:47

Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 10:47
Gday G_Banger, I think as said about towball weights - towing up to 2500kg you can have a ball weight of 250kg but when towing above this the ball weight is reduced to 180kg. This applies to all towing vehicles. We have a NS Pajero with some mods. and it takes us everywhere we wish to go in comfort
Tony
FollowupID: 794207

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 10:56

Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 10:56
A mate of mine has a late model Pajero and has come up against this problem re towing his Kedron.

Yes, the vehicle is rated to tow 3 tonne, but if the van is heavier than 2.5 tonne the max ball weight is limited to 160kg (or is it 180kg?).

It's not a pro-rata or sliding scale thing - it's a step. At 2.5 tonne you can have a ball weight of 250kg. At 2.6 tonne it must be not above 160/180kg.

To muddy the waters a little - his dealer told him that the restriction was due to the factory towbar. Something like a Hayman-Reese towbar would get around it, so that's what he did - removed the factory bar and had a HR fitted.

Personally, I think that was unwise. It's an engineering issue. If it was my vehicle I would prefer to hear that advice come direct from the manufacturer.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 794208

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 10:57

Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 10:57
Sorry about the doubled-up info ... Tony posted as I was typing
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 794209

Reply By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 10:55

Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 10:55
Hi,
Having had a NP for 7 years virtually trouble free, changed to NW a couple of months ago.
The only downside to the NW over the NP is the centralised spare tyre. A little extra setting up required for towing but not over the top. The V6 petrol is no longer available but the"experts" reckon that I'll get used to the Diesel.
Having had a fair variety of vehicles consider the Paj pretty good as an all-round vehicles.

Regards Mike.
AnswerID: 515067

Reply By: Erad - Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 10:59

Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 10:59
Pajero is value for money. Yes - you can get cheaper 4WD's eg Hyundai or Kia which will do a good job, but I still like the Pajero. I have a NW GLX-R and am very impressed. Hopefully in 10 years time I will still be saying the same thing.

Not sure of what you are going to tow, but the towbar on the Pajero is a pain. The spare wheel kills access to the coupling and you cannot open the back door when hooked up. You can get a lift kit for the spare wheel (about $100). I overcame this problem by simply cutting off the top of the coupling handle. I welded some lugs on the ends of the handle offcut, and drilled & tapped the coupling to receive it. Now, the coupling handle folds down out of the way and the rear door opens over the coupling. Simple and no cost to me at all.

AnswerID: 515068

Follow Up By: Member - Tony Z (NSW) - Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 11:20

Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 11:20
Had similar problem with hitch height, lifted the tyre and eventually changed the hitch on Trailer/Van to Off Road variety ( Tregg/ DO35/Hyland or Oz Hitch, now all that stops the rear door opening all the way is the stone guard may change it to an under A frame type.
Hope this helps also when you stop if you can jack knife the van a bit this allows door clearance !
FollowupID: 794211

Follow Up By: Notso - Sunday, Jul 21, 2013 at 10:10

Sunday, Jul 21, 2013 at 10:10
Mitsubishi have a kit to raise the Spare wheel for those who need it.
FollowupID: 794248

Reply By: G_Banger - Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 11:52

Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 11:52
Thanx for the replies, won't be buying a van for prob 6-8 yrs but will tow a 6x4 at times, being a 4wd noob i think i will start slowly but am interested in the gibb river road in a year or two. I'll get a bullbar, spotties,snorkel,towbar,roofrack, but am unsure if i need an aftermarket suspension, any suggestions on suspension setup. All help is gratly appreciated as I've stated i know next to nothing about off road driving but as i'm living in Karratha for the next 5 years or so i want to see as much of the country as i can before i move back over east.
AnswerID: 515071

Follow Up By: Member - Michael A (ACT) - Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 17:15

Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 17:15
The Paj is a good vehicle but before buying a snorkel do some research as there have been some past issues with some brands. Other than taht 'enjoy'

M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 794223

Follow Up By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Sunday, Jul 21, 2013 at 10:32

Sunday, Jul 21, 2013 at 10:32
We purchased an NP (2004) back in 2007 and the back end dipped when the van was connected. Solved the problem with a set of KING springs - stiffened up nicely.

On 3rd van now - all progressively heavier - current ball weight 240kg, but sits perfectly.

Current models may not need assistance, but if your ride does tend to sag, that may be a simple solution.

Happy motoring - cheers, Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 794249

Sponsored Links