Maxxis MT 762 Bighorns Opinions

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 11:38
ThreadID: 103322 Views:3165 Replies:4 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
I'm in the market for some 255/85x16 mud tyres and am looking at the Maxxis MT 762 Bighorns. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with them and what they think of them.

My vehicle is a 2010 D40 Navara King Cab.
Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Will be Y - Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 17:05

Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 17:05
Siringo,
I will only comment on what others have said that the MT762 are noisy on road, have no grip on wet roads to the point of being dangerous, delicate side walls. Maybe OK in mud?

I had Bridgestone D 694 tyres fitted to my previous D40 King Cab, which wear very well,with plenty of grip on and off road. I have just purchased a new D40 King Cab and fitted the Bridgestone D697 which an upgrade on the 694.
Hope this some use.
cheers,
will B Y
AnswerID: 515080

Follow Up By: 99problems - Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 17:50

Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 17:50
No issues with mine . Have 40k on them, im expecting to get a further 10 to 20k. No problems with grip in the wet, that is driving to conditions.

No punctures or side wall damage, including a fair bit of rock work.

Only downfall is noise.

Would I buy another set, yes?

I would take note from people who have had them, not what others say. No doubt other user will have a different opinion.

FollowupID: 794224

Follow Up By: Bearded Fish - Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 19:22

Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 19:22
Siringo,
I have 285/75x16 on my 4x4. Low Ks, but very happy with them.
My roof rack makes more noise in a cross wind than the tyres, neither bother me.
FollowupID: 794230

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 19:52

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 19:52
Will b y : I dont know where you got the " delicate side walls " from but IMO this is rubbish ... very tuff side wall is my experience . But i would say you pay for what you get , don't get as many k's as bigger brand tyres .
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 794560

Reply By: olcoolone - Sunday, Jul 21, 2013 at 10:20

Sunday, Jul 21, 2013 at 10:20
Can't help you with the Maxxis MT 762 Bighorns but....

My question is do you need a mud terrain tyre as the only real benefit they offer is in deep gooey mud or maybe and it's maybe clay.

Over the years I have become more cynical of people running mud tyres...... I don't see the real point in having something that will perform 100% for less than 5% of your driving.... leaving the other 95%+ with something that under performs.

The only mud tyres I would run are Toyo Open Country only due to their strength in the side walls.

We ran Toyos for about 5 years on our Hilux for remote travelling, on our 200 series we went to the Mickey Thompson MTZ's and hated them with a passion... noisy and made the Landcruise handle to a point it was dangerous, we did about 20k on them before we had enough. We would of went with Toyo's on the 200 series but they don't do the size needed here in Aus.

I ended up going to Cooper ST Maxx (aggressive A/T tyre) and after 11k with 7k being off road I could not be happier, they have performed above my expectations in all conditions and especially on road wet or dry. Have used them in all conditions including 300 kilometer of thick soft clay they performed as well as others running mud terrain tyres who were on the same trip.

If your Navara is ONLY going to be used for playing in real gooey mud; get mud tyres...... if you're not going to be using the Navara for real gooey mud it may pay to think again.... no use kidding your self.

So do you really need mud terrain tyres for a purpose or for looks?

If you think you do need them for whatever reason... then buy em.
AnswerID: 515108

Reply By: Siringo - Monday, Jul 22, 2013 at 09:14

Monday, Jul 22, 2013 at 09:14
Thanks for the replies folks.
AnswerID: 515158

Follow Up By: Member - Craig F (WA) - Monday, Jul 22, 2013 at 16:10

Monday, Jul 22, 2013 at 16:10
i wouldn't buy them again. Had a side wall fail at 200km of age. The sidewalls are not adiquate for a mud tyre. Spend a bit more and get alot more.
If you do not intend to use them for what they are made for they would be ok. In which case a good aggressive AT would be the go. My Mickey Thompson AT 4 ribs are a lot better in all aplications except for slop.
FollowupID: 794347

Follow Up By: Siringo - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 09:31

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 09:31
A failure at 200km's would indicate a failure in that tyre, not a failure with the design of the tyre.

What do you think is wrong with the sidewalls in the Maxxis? Are they too soft, not enough plys??

My understanding is, if the sidewalls as soft, then they should bag out when deflated, which is what you want a mud tyre to do. If they don't bag out because they are too stiff then the tyre is more like an outback tyre, a tyre that can resist staking.

It depends on how you think about things.

I consider most mud tyres as aggressive AT's and aggressive AT's as AT's and AT's as highway tyres. I consider aggressive tyres such as Boggers and some of those Simex tyres as mud tyres.

Thanks for all the replies.
FollowupID: 794399

Follow Up By: Member - Craig F (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 10:39

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 10:39
Boggers and Simex are off road tyres (Bias construction) and are not designed to be driven on the road. Hence they are not suited for the average driver. MT Claws, MTZ, KM2 etc are considered a radial MT and road drivable. All these including the 762 have side biters designed to claw for traction as stated on their brochures.
If you are to feel the construction of the MT and the likes you will note that the side walls are ridged in comparison to the flimsy walls of a 762. All are made to drive on muddy tracks where you are guaranteed to have roots and packing put in from past travellers.
My tyre was side staked by a twig. The tear was 30mm long and not visible unless the tyre was inflated and sitting in a bucket of water. The damage was right on the edge of the side biters.
In my opinion I would not venture far from a repair shop whilst running 762. Mine were purchased as they were available at cost. I am now selling them.

Regards
Craig
FollowupID: 794415

Follow Up By: Siringo - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 11:00

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 11:00
Yow. Something to think about there, thanks for putting in the extra info.
FollowupID: 794419

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Kerry W (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 14:16

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 14:16
Hi Siringo,
Cant comment on the 762s as I personally have not used them, though as usual, I have friends with them and have observed a few issues.

However if it is of any use to you....
I am currently trialling a set of the recently released 33x12.50 Bighorn 764s on a GQ Nissan Patrol (so far they are only available in 15"). They have a different compound and better road gripping ability than the 762. They do not seem to chip like the 762. They are a bit noisier than and have similar wet bitumen grip to the BFG KM2. (which I regard as quite reasonable for a MT tyre) I have managed to stake a sidewall (slow leak) while snigging logs in the bush but accept that as a compromise for the softer compound and better road performance. So far they have handled sharp rocky coastal tracks and the Holland Track without a problem.They seem OK when aired right down on sand and they have a bit more flex in the sidewalls so may be ok at pressures below 15PSI and not roll off the rim as easily as harder walled tyres.

I have only done about 5000k on them - consequentially I am yet to have an informed opinion on these tyres.

I will see how they feel and perform in 30,000ks.
So far (new) I do like their feel.
There is always a compromise when choosing a general purpose tyre for onroad/offroad use. I was offered a low price for 4 of these when I was shopping for 2 new BFG KM2s and as I had not tried them - I thought it was a good chance to test them out, especially as they were quite different to the 762 - for a bit (~) more than the cost of 2 BFGs.

Not sure when they may release these in 16" but I checked back in late June for another vehicle and they were still unavailable.

Hope this helps.
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 794435

Follow Up By: Siringo - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 15:06

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 15:06
Every bit of info helps, so thanks.

Another question. Buying tyres off eBay. Good idea, bad idea? Tyres are much cheaper, close to $100 cheaper per tyre for some makes and models and freight isn't too bad.
FollowupID: 794440

Follow Up By: Member - Craig F (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 15:45

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 15:45
100$ minus freight, minus warranty + fitting and balance at a premium because you bought somewhere else.........

Getting the best price is what we all what.
Be mindful that you still need to get them fitted balanced and aligned. Walking into a tyre fitter with your own tyres won’t make you the customer of the day!
Warranty on tyres can also be a pain I dare say on-line would be the pits based on some previous forum comments I have read.

I would do the sums taking all into account.
Also get some feedback on delivery times. Again on a forum I know of one person that stated he was delivered 3 out of 4 with the last on back order for 6 weeks!

CF
FollowupID: 794441

Follow Up By: Siringo - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 16:11

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 16:11
Yep good points. I was going into town this week so I can pick them up, but if I need to claim something under warranty, it's a 400+ km drive back. Also I guess when I get them fitted and if one or more are bad and need LOTS of wheel weights I can't exactly ask for another tyre.
FollowupID: 794444

Reply By: Member - nick b - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 20:40

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 20:40
Gooday Siringo : What size tyres did your nissan come out with ? re over gearing !!!!
I have a set on my triton 3.2 td they are more than 50 mm over std .(235/85 /16 )
As other have said very noisy on that black top & dont wear well as the likes of micky , cooper , etc .
I give my tyres a hammering over rocky paddocks & have had 2 flat both from screws , very hard to get a repair plug into then .
beach driving air down on some very soft beaches no problems .
never had a problem with them on tar roads .
IMO good tyre for the price .... ( but not as good as micky's etc )
cheers
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 515347

Sponsored Links