New Ranger report

Submitted: Monday, Jul 22, 2013 at 19:51
ThreadID: 103368 Views:4437 Replies:12 FollowUps:24
This Thread has been Archived
As some know, I report on the progress of the new Rangers.

I have some information that may interest those who own or would like to purchase one.

Have just towed a van over 10000 K with no problems. I have changed my driving style from leaving it in auto mode. I have adapted the ford recommendation and use sports mode. This drops the box 1 cog, but if all the gods agree it will change up to 6th gear.

It is an awesome tow vehicle and great off road. In fact it is awesome off road.

Now being a new model it does have some things that I don't like. I don't pull punches when it comes to a report on it's short comings.

I will now name the bad aspects and at least one fix.

The charging system is a pitta. It is smart charge that never gets the battery over 60% of it's full charge. THAT has been fixed. If you go to your dealer and ask for the smart charge to be turned off. THEY CAN DO IT. I had it done this morning by one of the best dealers I have come across. NO COST.

Another problem that is surfacing in the mining is engines are getting dusted. Now this is not coming from one source but two entirely differently areas.

One from a dealer and one from a mine. I don't know the answer as yet, but here is what happens. Dust is getting past the filter, whether it goes straight through the filter or around it I don't know. Where I worked they are placing a rubber mat under the filter to force more pressure on the top seal. They have looked at the filters and are not sure if they are crushing down and allowing dust to bypass.

Remember all the vehicles are mine units that cop the worst.

I will get more feed back over time. Until then this new Ranger really does the job. Both on/off road and towing.

By the way. What great service from Carpenter Ford in Gatton. I wish our local dealer could deliver like these people. I can't give them a bigger thumbs up.

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul K - VIC - Monday, Jul 22, 2013 at 20:00

Monday, Jul 22, 2013 at 20:00
Hi rockape

Can you tell us the weight of the van you towed and what fuel economy you got from the ranger.

regards Paul
AnswerID: 515195

Follow Up By: Rockape - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 05:33

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 05:33
Paul,
All up weight was. 4.8 tonne.

Van weight was 1.8 tonne on this trip.

Fuel towing is. Best 12.8 k/100. Worst 16.1 k/100 and average 14.2 k/h.

FollowupID: 794391

Follow Up By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 12:54

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 12:54
I've just done 20K towing the fuel consumpsion has improved from [orig] 19L/100 is now 15L/100.
Runs very good have done about 500km on gravel / dirt roads checked the air cleaner out at Mount Isa [dealer blew it out] was not really bad.
My load is about 3T towing and 700kg in the tub [including the 5'er].

PeterH
FollowupID: 794425

Follow Up By: The Original JohnR (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 08:50

Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 08:50
Paul, one of the guys at Bushtracker has one and have towed a van with it and have so far given the thumbs up. I am not sure which sized van he has been pulling, but BT I could imagine a 20' van and over 3T loaded
FollowupID: 794869

Reply By: Bazooka - Monday, Jul 22, 2013 at 22:15

Monday, Jul 22, 2013 at 22:15
Thanks for doing this RA. Very interesting, both points.
AnswerID: 515209

Reply By: olcoolone - Monday, Jul 22, 2013 at 23:08

Monday, Jul 22, 2013 at 23:08
What.... thats all to report LOL

My partner is really pleased with her Ranger and I like it as well, we have a few little problems that need to be fixed next service.

The drivers seat keeps on going down and there was a rattle in the front right hand wheel arch that got fixed.... now the other side rattles AND the air con, the heater is 10 times better than the 200 series and the air con in the 200 series is about 10 times better than the Ranger .

Love the power and the auto trans but the sound system leave a lot to be desired.

It's funny, I enjoy the Ranger more than our 200 series as a general run around and if the 200 series had the same trans as the Ranger I would be a happy camper.

Not real good news about the air cleaner and I'll have to keep an eye on it, hopefully running a snorkel will lower the amount of dust it sucks in.

Thanks for the charging tip.
AnswerID: 515212

Follow Up By: Rockape - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 05:22

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 05:22
Olcoolone,
The reason the seat goes down, is when the person gets out they brush the height lever.

Get them to use the running board and all will be fixed. You will notice if you do a 400k run without leaving the captains chair. The seat will stay in the same position all the time.

FollowupID: 794389

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 09:38

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 09:38
Could be right....Might have to give that a try.
FollowupID: 794401

Reply By: Witi Repartee - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 05:06

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 05:06
Thanks for the update.
We are running 6 Rangers on the Wheatstone LNG project. They all have the site mandatory extras such as IVMS (In Vehicle Monitoring System) based on GPS and Geofencing...wait till the Insurance Companies and State Govts get their hands on that technology!
We also run a Way Radio, Lights on all the time, Illuminated Sandflag and a Beacon. All in all, not a huge extra load on the electrics?

Our biggest problem is flat batteries.
AnswerID: 515218

Follow Up By: Rockape - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 05:26

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 05:26
Witi,
There were a bad batch of batteries around the the time of the floods in Thailand and if the smart charging is turned off this will charge the battery 100%.
FollowupID: 794390

Follow Up By: Thinkin - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 08:19

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 08:19
Rockape,

I can't get my head around this one, if its a smart charger why does it have to be turned off.
If it's smart it should do the right thing.
Alpero
FollowupID: 794393

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 09:44

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 09:44
All to do with fuel consumption and NVH (noise, vibration and harshness).

An alternator under charge can vary between 2 to 7 HP engine load depending on alternator output in amps.

Big part of the reason they went to over run pulleys on alternators.
FollowupID: 794405

Follow Up By: Thinkin - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 10:13

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 10:13
Sounds like they are robbing (Peter) to pay (Paul) or spliting hairs.

Isn't it detrimental to batteries not to have them fully charged.

(overrun pulleys) looks like they are creating another cost in manufacture and repair costs down the track.
FollowupID: 794411

Reply By: Road Warrior - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 10:42

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 10:42
I really, really like the new Ranger. So much so I'm considering forgoing purchasing a new XR6 Turbo (which I have Ministerial approval to get I might add :) ) to get one. Alas, the tape measure says no.
AnswerID: 515232

Follow Up By: 2000 Red Rodeo - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 17:44

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 17:44
Get the turbo. They are an awesome car!! I got a new one 3 months ago. I smile every time i get in it

Still love the 4by but for general driving and highway i couldn't think of a better car
FollowupID: 794542

Reply By: Axle - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 14:40

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 14:40
Hi Ra, Sounds like there going to be a good thing !,about time real pressure was put on Toyo..lol.....Tell you what though there's no way in hell you want any chance of any dust what so ever entering those engines,and it should not happen. the filter system if right should get to a stage where the motor won't run its that blocked,Hope they get that side of things sorted. Just for interest do they have a double element or single, ?

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 515243

Follow Up By: Rockape - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 16:18

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 16:18
Axle,
The filters aren't blocked. The dust is somehow getting past the filter, either through it or passed the seals.

It can be noticed if the filter outlet exit pipe is wiped with a cloth or finger. They have placed a thin rubber gasket under the filter to see if it will increase the pressure on the top rubber sealing gasket. I asked if there was evidence of dust passing over the seal, and the answer was no. I will keep in touch and see if they find the cause.

The coal mines are having the same problem
FollowupID: 794446

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 20:59

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 20:59
Ford service specs say to use silicone grease on the seal, this does seal the air box fine, no dust ever in mine.

Mind you, mining dust could be different.
Try it anyway.
FollowupID: 794480

Follow Up By: Rockape - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 21:17

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 21:17
Les,
is yours a PJ or a PX.
FollowupID: 794482

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 21:53

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 21:53
Yeah, sorry it's PJ, should have realised this was PX.
Maybe the PX runs similar setup with the circular retainer . . . it's a pretty snug fit, but the silicone grease both allows a smoother fit up, and also seals well.
FollowupID: 794483

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 21:54

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 21:54
Shoot, mines a PK, not PJ, J and K keys right near each other.
Obviously these are the same anyway.
FollowupID: 794484

Reply By: allein m - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 16:22

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 16:22
I have a friend who owns one he has 265/65R17 tires and asked me to ask you what tires do you have on your ford

he is looking at Bridgestone D697 any other suggestions

thank you
AnswerID: 515253

Follow Up By: Rockape - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 18:39

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 18:39
Allein,
I use the same standard size tyres. I won't go bigger in size, as I believe manufactures do a lot of testing to get the optimum gearing for economy.

The tyres are Bfg At's. Very well tried and tested. I also had the Bfg Mts on my troopcarrier and were very happy with both.

The Bridgestone D697's come with a very good reputation as well.

FollowupID: 794464

Follow Up By: DIGGER 12 - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 19:12

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 19:12
Just got home tonight 23rd bundaberg to birdville then simpson to hay river then back to bundy though longreach , Barky , and then rocky man this ranger is a battle wagon , 8.6 on the black top and 14.2 on the simpson / hay river .will give you more info later now time for some of the local product Digger 12
FollowupID: 794468

Follow Up By: allein m - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:41

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:41
thank you for that
FollowupID: 794512

Reply By: pop2jocem - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 10:43

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 10:43
Hi RA,

We found out the hard way that all filters are not created equal. When we had a dealership for a certain brand of off road vehicles we found that the micron size can vary quite considerably for air cleaner elements just the same as any other filter.
We sold a few to a cattle station in the NW of WA. Nice fine red dust up there. The first unit was returned because of an initial loss of power and finally just wouldn't start. We checked it out and found the filter clogged. New filter element and still wouldn't start. Eventually pulled the engine and stripped it down. WHOA badly dusted. We did the usual inspection of the air inlet ducting and clamps, all good.
Apparently the filter material was ok for most situations, just wasn't intended for that lovely fine dust that gets churned up by repeated vehicle passage and in this case herds of cattle. These things were operating in a dust bowl. The filters in the
'bull catcher" Toyotas and other vehicles have evolved over time to basically just clog up and stop the engine breathing so you had to clean it out or fit a new one. These vehicles that we sold had not evolved to that stage, being designed for more friendly environments.
My guess is that vehicles that are designed for mainly black top usage and mums shopping trolley with fuel economy and low emissions the main criteria will do just fine with the larger micron filters. In fact the less restriction the better air flow and hence the improvement in both of those areas. Take an extreme case of a boat, not usually much dust out there unless the boaty takes his own supply. Just as an aside I once found a marine diesel that had been dusted by operating as a work boat around an iron ore loading dock back in the days before mandatory dust suppression.
Maybe a look around at filter manufacturers and see if they do a smaller micron version of the particular filter. Of course more often cleaning will be needed or get one of them lovely big Donaldson jobbies that the trucks use and strap it to the side of the front guard...LOL.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 515295

Follow Up By: Rockape - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:46

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:46
Pop,
what you have pointed out could be the problem. I will get them to look into it.
FollowupID: 794513

Reply By: Rick (S.A.) - Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 22:15

Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 22:15
Not a Ranger, but a BT 50 which I can report on: I drive a current model Mazda BT 50 dual cab auto with a tub body. I've done 48,000 km since April 2012 when I bought it new.

These are hard desert miles and the only black top driving I do is getting to the desert from Adelaide. (I don't use the BT 50 in town as I have others for that job). Driving for days on corrugates and sand and hard packed dirt exploits weaknesses; at present I can't see many on the BT 50.

Generally I am running at 3 tonne weight with either 4 or 5 people inside. Occasionally I tow a 1.5 t trailer. So I'm working just within manufacturers specs nearly all the time. I drive with tyres from approx 15 to 38 psi, depending upon conditions. I'm not shy about dropping pressures. The Bridgestone 697's have done 43,00 km and I'll get another 5 to 10,000 km out of them. Talk about good value!!!

The OE suspension sagged and had a lean on the near side at 25,000 km.
I now have an ARB suspension kit (300 kg rating) and the lift has been 80 mm - handy.The shocks have been burning hot to touch at times but have never faded over endless bad corrugates.No dash squeaks or flex of the tub onto the body. I seriously rate this chassis.

I am surprised that the OE side steps have not fouled on sand hills, muddy sections etc. The plastic trim at each end of the near side steps has fallen off: it reveals a wicked looking sharp aluminium edge. Mazda can't supply a single replacement; only two new side steps complete (not one), so I'll replace the steps with ARB brand or similar asap.

The front of the tub has cracked and split around the folds on the top section of the tub. I have welded them up and the repair has now held for 3000 tough km + 1500 km easy bitumen coming home. I reckon the factory panel work here is really sus, but I exacerbated the issue by constant loads of approx 100 k on a custom alloy r/rack which sits on the top surface of the tub sides.

Cabin comfort after a long day: at the end of the day’s driving, I find I am less tired than in my two previous Patrol. Leg room, head room & seat comfort in front & rear is fine. iPod functionality & blue tooth for the phone is appreciated, (Bluetooth in a vehicle is new to me).

The rear middle passenger is a bit squeezed on account of the transmission hump. The middle passenger seems to prefer to sit with a foot on either side of the hump. I chopped the bin out of the console to allow feet to be placed there to ease the foot space problem, but this is rarely utilised by the middle occupants.

Roadholding is excellent and it hangs on in dirt & on the blacktop like you would not believe. It's a point & shoot vehicle and that makes it very easy to drive. It's a torquey beastie, but with so much power on tap that aspect is not immediately noticeable. Believe it or not, the Mazda has more torque than the 76 series Toyota (workmate wagon & troopy) & about 5 Kw less power !!!

I have been regularly checking the air cleaner (have snorkel fitted) and I blow it out/tap it out roughly every 1500 km. A few sticks & seeds seem to find their way into the bottom of the filter assy. However, I drive along many narrow bush tracks with vegetation constantly scraping the sides. But not often at snorkel height, so buggered if I know how this stuff gets in.

Duco seems to retain dirt/dust stains. The dealer told me it might be soft paint and nothing could be done! I’ve since used truck wash and polish to good effect.

Dust ingress around tailgate is a serious issue. This is a design flaw that is a real negative. I filled as many gaps with door sealer tape + other foam tapes as I could, and that helped. But it is still bad. I have to cover the tub contents with a tarp under the tonneau to be thrown back when un-packing. This gets 90 % of the red dirt off the contents. It’s easy to see where the dirt floods in – it’s not from the tonneau seal. I have now fitted a seal kit which has helped significantly - got it off ebay.

Highway cruising economy with an empty roof rack @ 110 kph gives between 10 and 11 Litres/100 km, depending on weather conditions. Fully loaded for 11 day outback trip, weighing 3.1 t, incl 4 people + swags on roof + 1.4 t trailer with roof rack, driving on dirt at speeds up to 80 kph gets up to 17 L/100 km. I estimate the roof rack sucks about 1 to 2 L/100 km. These figures are derived from the readout in the dash. Comparing these to GPS tracked km + litres of diesel at fill up shows a consistent under reporting of between 1 to 1.5 Litres/100 km

Cheers
AnswerID: 515576

Follow Up By: Rockape - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 05:58

Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 05:58
Rick, thanks for the report.

As you said dust is a pain in the tub. I also stuck in a seal kit plus the canopy has a pressurising vent. Also I fit a couple of circular foam pieces on the between the top edge of the tailgate and the canopy, after I close the tailgate. This virtually eliminates all dust.

I don't even look at the litres per hundred on the dash or the litres to empty. They are just a joke. Having a long range tank, I have run it down to when the fuel light comes on. That leaves me approximately 22 litres left. My fuel calculations are also with gps and the amount of fuel I have to fill the tank with.

Went for a run over the Conandale Range an couple of days ago on a wet track, I was very happy with the performance and the only thing that annoys me is the factory tow bar. Bottomed out on it 3 times. The auto was a blessing in the clay and slippery conditions. I had to intervene a couple of times when coming up to a sharp pinch by slipping the lever across to sports mode.

FollowupID: 794864

Follow Up By: KennyBWilson - Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 03:20

Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 03:20
I'm looking at getting the Ranger but that low towbar has me worried.
FollowupID: 794928

Reply By: RobMac (QLD_Member) - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 18:57

Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 18:57
Just curious here..... How comfy are these Rangers with 3 people in the back? Is the ride harsh being a leaf sprung ute? Regarding the offroad road gearing (LowRange) how good is low range in these vehicles?

Re: The Air Filtering issue - Could u simply use a Foam based Air Filter (Uni-Filter) or would that cause warranty concerns?

BTW: Good report as this vehicle is on my radar a future car....
Cheers..... RobM
Defender PUMA 110 "New School Tourer"
Defender 110 Tdi300 "Old School Tourer for Solo Trips"
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 515612

Follow Up By: Rockape - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 20:30

Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 20:30
Rob M,
Hope this helps. I don't have a dual cab, it is a space cab so I can't answer the passenger bit. Ride wise I have an aftermarket suspension with a 300kg upgrade on the rear leaves. The rear springs are great. The combination is very good on corrugations. Where I do get a harsh ride, and it is from the front, is on certain blacktop roads.

Air filter wise, and I will have to get this in perspective. To start with I am not sure about using oil impregnated foam filters on an engine that has sensors in the intake that are sensitive to oil. I like paper filters because of being familiar with machinery that is used in heavy dust.

I would like to get this in perspective. The problems they are having is in very fine bulk dust. Now there is a problem, as the cruisers haven't had the same problem. The dust that is getting through is both coal and hard rock. Now I can speak for underground and surface hard rock.

Where I am talking about there is very fine abrasive dust. This is silica, cement and tails. The cement and tails which are very fine come from failed stopes. You drive through it and it hangs in the air for ages. Just like driving through bull dust that never stops.
FollowupID: 794917

Reply By: David16 - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 20:47

Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 20:47
Hi Rockape,
Someone (well informed) recently told me that if you put a steel bar and winch on the new ranger and more than two passengers the total weight exceeds the axle ratings (not suspension rating) and in turn can void your warranty!
AnswerID: 515626

Follow Up By: Rockape - Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 06:26

Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 06:26
During my lifetime. That fella Someone, has told me the world was going to end at least 20 times.

I am always sceptical of that fella called Someone.
FollowupID: 794931

Reply By: David16 - Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 09:41

Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 09:41
No problem RA, make the enquiry to Ford! You will then find out who that someone works for!!
AnswerID: 515635

Follow Up By: Rockape - Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 16:17

Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 16:17
David,
That is fine and I am not defending the Ranger. What I would like to see, are the specs on the front end. Then we all can see any short comings with loadings on the front.

If I sat on the side of the road with a set of scales. By my reckoning, I could bust 75% of trip loaded four wheel drives.

FollowupID: 794955

Sponsored Links