Bed Warming

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 23:54
ThreadID: 103384 Views:2222 Replies:13 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

We are heading off for two weekends were it will be cold at night and in planning for the trip, we were wondering if anyone uses an electric blanket and inverter to take the chill out of the bed before retiring for the night?

If you do....

what type of blanket?

what size inverter?

............and it is just to take the damp chill out of the bedding, not to be run all night.

TIA.

Wayne & Sally.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 00:02

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 00:02
yes they do, I have not done it but from what I have found out is they turn it on for an hour or so before getting in and it is all you need ...
From what I also found out is you can buy them 12v also, brilliant idea as yes it will take out the damp chill and it gives you a far better sleep to get into a warm bed rather than a freezing cold one ........... if we ever do another trip (and we will) down south in winter I WILL be buying and setting it up with leccy blankys, don't care what others say, I used to do it camping in my younger years, get a powered site and a tent, plug in the blanky and nothing better than getting into a warm bed when you are freezing cold ..... and all the others shivered for hours after I was asleep .....
From what I remember they don't draw a great deal so you don't need a biggy at all but look at the 12v units first ..
Cheers
AnswerID: 515279

Reply By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 08:05

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 08:05
Yes we have a 12v one , they only draw under 4 amps and also they have an inbuilt timer so they work for 45 min then turn off so you can't flatten the battery - however such low power means they do only take the chill off.

You can sit in the car and wrap them around you also to keep warm on miserable days.

Actually a hot water bottle is better, but messier but they do have there place.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 515283

Reply By: Member - wicket - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 10:30

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 10:30
You are better of buying a set of Polar Fleece or sometimes labelled as Micro Fleece sheets, hard to believe but they are warm as soon as you get into bed absolutely no cold spots. Recently we were camping and the onight temp dropped to zero and we only needed the sheets and a doona, they are pretty cheap below $50.
AnswerID: 515293

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 18:42

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 18:42
should just mention that these are not flannelette sheets as mentioned below, there is no comparison as these are far superior and if you prefer to sleep in your birthday suit (as I do) you'll love 'em
FollowupID: 794547

Follow Up By: kevmac....(WA) - Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 19:47

Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 19:47
We use a winter quilt on top, and a mink or "minkie"blanket underneath, and get warm as toast in 5 - 10 minutes. Once warmed up blanket stays that way, even after having to get up in middle of the night.
FollowupID: 794618

Reply By: new boy - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 10:32

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 10:32
We use the old fashion Hot Water bottle heat them up and move them round a couple of times warm the bed nicely We started with one the missus didn,t need it but when I refused to share we had to buy another .
AnswerID: 515294

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 10:53

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 10:53
Good low degree rated sleeping bags to keep you warm, and bed socks so your feet don't hit the cold as you get into bed are suitable electricity free alternatives. Are you caravanning or tenting?

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 515296

Follow Up By: Road Warrior - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 13:18

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 13:18
If you jump on ebay or even visit the local Op Shop or Good Sammy's store you might find some of the 1970's era pure wool "Physician" blankets for sale in good nick...made in Australia and do the trick, we use them at home...
FollowupID: 794518

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:16

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:16
I am sorry and do not intend to offend anyone, but I am sitting here have a little chuckle. I wonder when we will get airconditioned tents.

Again not trying to offend anyone.

For what it's worth I wear a good thick pair of woolen socks when up in the snow. Maybe warm PJs but at least a singlet and undies. We have a roof top tent with good thick canvas, a woolen mattress cover on a 100 mm foam mattress. Over the top is a woolen filled doona that we use all year round. Not young and not too "flexible". Like some comforts though.

Just an honest chuckle guys. I feel like a nice cuppa and a biscuit on the verandah looking at the snow on the surrounding hills and sitting in the nice warm winter sun.

Phil
AnswerID: 515300

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:44

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:44
Send your partner to bed first and when you go take her side when you go to bed. You will lose the ensuring argument but by that time your side is warm.
works for me (occasionally). lol

Neil
AnswerID: 515304

Reply By: Gronk - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 17:31

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 17:31
What has been posted before....some flanno sheets and a doona......and if it's really cold, wear a beanie as well..

I find the worst bit is actually leaving the fire and getting your gear off......once in bed with flanno sheets, it's warm within seconds..

Electric blankets are for people who haven't discovered flanno sheets yet !! lol
AnswerID: 515327

Reply By: John and Regina M - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 19:11

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 19:11
Warm shower followed by sex.
Warms us up everytime.
AnswerID: 515336

Follow Up By: bibtracker - Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 00:58

Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 00:58
I'm sure it does. But what about we solo travellers? It's not a very warming pastime!

Cheers, Tony
FollowupID: 794592

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 07:02

Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 07:02
Hi everyone,

Many thanks to the people who answered my specific query about electric blankets and inverters and so I don't offend anyone, I will leave the following as my reply.

To expand a little on the reasoning behind the question, we work with the Avon Support Unit (ASU) who are the safety net for the competitors in the Avon Descent.
Where we camp at Cobblers Pool, overnight for the Valley Run and two nights for the Descent, is not only traditionally cold...it is also damp... and the reason for my original post.

I don't recall in all the time that we have been on the forum, a question about this topic, though my search skills on the forum do not always turn up the results I was looking for and I will happily read through any previous posts on the topic.

Regards,
Wayne & Sally.
AnswerID: 515354

Follow Up By: Member - Faydaway - Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 19:18

Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 19:18
Sorry about the other replies
Two standard single 240 volt electric blankets on high can be powered by a 300 Watt inverter on 120 Ah Battery for over an hour before bed in our caravan but you have to watch condensation between the wall and beds if its minus tempertures eg. minus 5

5 years on the road and so far 9 months in Tassie
Fay'd away from the crowd

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 794616

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 16:47

Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 16:47
We use sleeping bags that zip together to form one large double bag. They have a polar fleece lining which is also zipped in and believe me when I say that when it is -7 you are as snug as a bug in a rug. They are exy but worth the dosh.
The upside is in summer you unzip the polar fleece and you have a normal sleeping bag that is good for +5 and up.

You can get them @ BCF for about $120 each.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 515360

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 06:55

Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 06:55
Hi everyone,

A quick update and to say "" to the people who have added information.

We have both been unwell in the lead up to the Valley Run weekend and unfortunately we didn't camp on the weekend, the drive through the valley was very enjoyable and if there is a little more rain in the early part of this week - the river level will be very good for the Descent :-)

So it will be next weekend before we trial the electric blanket/inverter to take the damp chill off the bedding and the following weekend where I will be on a training course, without my navigator :-(

Have a safe week.

Regards,
Wayne & Sally.
AnswerID: 515516

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 09:36

Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 09:36
Install a gas of diesel heater. Turn the bed clothes back an hour or two before retiring whilst the heater is running. Works for us. The heater keeps both us and the bed warm.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 515525

Sponsored Links