Forget about your 4b..look at this

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 01:15
ThreadID: 10339 Views:2546 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
There was a report in the Melbourne Rag about an ederly couple from Vic who travel Oz in a 1924 Chrysler. I quote " The Munsons have tackled some of Australia's most remote terrain. We go where mad dogs and Englishman won't go. From Cape York to the tip of Tasmania."

"We can get to where four-wheel drives can't." Mr Munson said.

Anyway this is useless without pics so here ya go

pic

BEAM ME UP SCOTTY

Hooroo
Ray
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rick - Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 01:27

Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 01:27
gotta admit,,,they built them to last in them days :)

rick.ahh, the joys of the great outdoors!!!
AnswerID: 45772

Reply By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 07:44

Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 07:44
Not that surprising..though some of the terrain would be interesting..those cars are tough, they're heavy [I know i"ve "pushed" one] and those big skinny wheels go really well over corrugations.. Last year we went over some pretty serious corrugations and we were fine, some of the modern cars got shook up though..only thing is..you don't go too fast and stopping can be "fun" too....

LynLife - Live it , Love it !

AnswerID: 45776

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 22:06

Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 22:06
Jus for a short moment, I though big Al had said, "bugger the 100 series, we'll take the Old's" Nah!!! some blokes will do anything for peace and quiet.Dare to Lead not to Follow
FollowupID: 307884

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 11:45

Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 11:45
Bring your 1924 Chrysler with me for a night trip to Toolangi... ;)

Love old cars, as someone else said built to LAST.. not to a price..
AnswerID: 45793

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Geelong) - Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 11:57

Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 11:57
The Chrysler doesn't have spotties for a night run....not a fair contest :) BEAM ME UP SCOTTY

Hooroo
Ray
FollowupID: 307802

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 13:49

Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 13:49
Agreed night time driving is a pain...but...our olds is now run with a 12volt battery rather than a 6v battery..maybe we could rig some spotties on the front...ahahaha...Life - Live it , Love it !

FollowupID: 307811

Reply By: Diesel Do - Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 13:04

Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 13:04
It's a strange world.

Surely the technology to build a strong, reliable and cheap to maintain vehicle capable of handling city and off-road travel is still with us and should be even cheaper today than it was in 1924?

Is there a new model 4wd vehicle that doesn't have auto everything but can be fixed anywhere by any decent mechanic? (I agree that there is a need to control pollution but can't this be achieved without a computer?)

Are our 4wd becoming too luxurious for our own good, and moving away from the qualities that we really need in an environment that can be hostile and unpopulated? I guess I'm really asking for a 4wd that is intended for use mainly in the bush, but with the ability to work pretty well in the city occasionally. Not the other way round.

Perhaps if 'real' 4wd were a bit more agricultural we wouldn't have the Toorak tractor phenomenon and grumbles from drivers of smaller vehicles in the city.

I think the OKA was the last example of what I'm after - but far too big for most.

Did we lose the plot?

Regards.
AnswerID: 45796

Follow Up By: Member - Peter- Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 08:49

Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 08:49
Couldn't agree more, my feelings exactly with your closing statement.
I've had 4wd's since early 1974 and they have got progressively more comfortable but at the expense of 'toughness'. We went from a 1970 model 40 seires to a 1979 4wd hilux. After two years it was stuffed and we couldn't get rid of it quick enough. Went back to 40 series troopies from 81 through till 89, they got progressively lighter in panel thickness but still stood up to the use/abuse as Toyota ironed out the problems and weaknesses. Then in 89 we bought a 2 y/o 75 series. By the time we swapped it for a 90 75 series in 93 it was stuffed, the body had more cracks in it than a dam wall, the transfer had been rebuilt twice, the A pillars and top of the firewall had separated from the rest of the body, engine was good though (older technology the 2H). We kept the 90 model (1hz powered) till 2002 when it had only done 180k. It was mostly used for long touring trips, no city use but the transfer and gearbox had to be rebuilt at 120k, radiator needed repairs just about every long trip, bottom of the A pillars had started to crack off the body, engine was starting to use oil, transmission was getting noisy again, been through about 4 rear pinion bearings (air locker may have had something to do with that). I felt that a vehicle with such light use should have lasted longer especially in the drive train. Looking at later models didn't inspire me to buy another as the body seemed to be of even thinner metal, chassis seemed lighter, much more plastic around, plastic radiator(which get brittle with age).
I guess we should remind ourselves that while it may be possible to build a vehicle to last the manufacturers don't sell many vehicles if they never wear out.
So we took a step back to a more basic vehicle and bought a 15 year old Humvee. After 8 months of spare time work to convert it to RHD and do the mods required for ADR compliance I know it intimately and reckon it will survive much longer than a newer vehicle.
FollowupID: 307816

Follow Up By: Dennis (Brisbane) - Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 21:10

Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 21:10
Diesel,

If you are really that worried about it, buy yourself a series 3 landrover and re-power it with a holden red motor 6, fit it with an overdrive.

Then enjoy (?)
FollowupID: 307873

Follow Up By: Dennis (Brisbane) - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 16:38

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 16:38
Diesel, I couldn't resist,

1966 LANDROVER 4WD WAGON
HOLDEN 186 MOTOR (NOT GOING), 4 SPEED PLUS OVERDRIVE KIT, 3 FUEL TANKS, ONE 80LT STAINLESS STEEL WATER TANK, FALSE FLOOR IN BACK, 12 & 24 VOLT BATTERY SYSTEM, ATTATCHMENTS FOR SHOWER, 4 NEW TYRES ON RIMS (16X7.5) WITH 2 SPARES. WILL SELL WHOLE OR SEPERATELY
PRICE: BEST OFFER
CONTACT DAVE
HOME PH: *****
WORK PH: 33327452
FollowupID: 307948

Follow Up By: Diesel Do - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 18:26

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 18:26
Thanks for the offer Dennis.

My perfect truck - darn, if only it had a diesel.
+ gps + cup holders + automatic traction control + colour tv + dvd + reversing camera + rain sensing wipers.

I'm not really worried about the direction of 4wd design because the market dictates what is made, so 'worried' is a bit of an overstatement.

It does seem to me that we might be asking for more than we really need - and getting it. And paying for it. Look at those enormous SUV's in the US, and the Euro 4wd's that cost the earth. Beautiful machines alright, and the Japs are doing their best to match the features - but would you want to use them out in the bush?

I really don't think these vehicles are designed for our environment, and I have a bit of strife trying to figure out just what they ARE designed for.

Any ideas?

FollowupID: 307966

Follow Up By: Dennis (Brisbane) - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 20:56

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 20:56
No I'm with you on that, my manual dual cab petrol rodeo does me fine.

A/C & P/S are about the extent of its 'luxury' features, it even has a vinyl floor.
FollowupID: 307984

Reply By: Rowdy - Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 13:35

Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 13:35
Great pics but lets face it, the real reason the car is half submerged in the creek is the wooden wheel spokes are loose and he's soaking them to make em swell and tight again. Those old cars were great in mud too as the narrow wheels cut through the mud imstead of sitting on top and just spinning like modern day wide wheels and tyres.
rowdy
AnswerID: 45797

Reply By: Ralph2 - Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 10:39

Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 10:39
Yeah those old car are great, I meet a bunch of them at Mungaranie on the Birsville Rd 18mth ago, it seems the tall skinny wheels and tyres get them through most terain with out to much hassel. Perhaps we should be looking at taller wheels when designing 4wds.
AnswerID: 45828

Reply By: Member - Peter- Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 18:44

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 18:44
Taller wheels are the go, just make sure that the profile (aspect ratio) of the tyre is also high. Low profile tyres are NBG in the bush.
AnswerID: 46034

Sponsored Links