Bad diesel fuel in Qld

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 19:57
ThreadID: 103400 Views:3392 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
This second time I have picked up a tank of bad fuel in Qld this time is was not bad performance and lower ks this time it stopped me no go on a bad bit of road when I purchased new filters the guy at Toyota Townsville said they is a lot of bad fuel up this way has any body else been caught.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 20:07

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 20:07
Hi Thirstydog,
Did you damage your injectors either in the first or second batch of bad fuel that you piked up?
Were you driving a common rail diesel?
Regards Dennis
AnswerID: 515341

Follow Up By: Member - Thirstydog - Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 03:59

Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 03:59
Hi Dennis no not common rail the old 4.2 lt turbo no injector damage as yet .Funny the guy mentioned Caltex I am 99% sure it was the Caltex at Childers
FollowupID: 794640

Reply By: Rockape - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 20:55

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 20:55
I live up that way and have never had bad fuel. It doesn't mean I can't get bad fuel. It has just never happened to me.

I just recently saw a sample of fuel in Gatton that stopped an engine. I don't know where it came from, but the sample was full of black death.
AnswerID: 515348

Follow Up By: 08crd - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 23:22

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 23:22
I coped a dose of water in diesel, from a fuel station that had been recently flooded.
I wonder if the water gets in through rusty breather pipes on the underground tanks?
FollowupID: 794591

Reply By: mountainman - Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 19:28

Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 19:28
as of today just seen a VW amaroc on the side of the road..
turned around and stopped to assist in the trusty hj47 2h donk...

turns out.. fuel related..
engine just stopped..
he either fuelled up at Clermont.. or Moranbah CALTEX SERVO..
last night..

definitely something went..
car wouldn't start..
the olde common rail and water..

have the guys number.. and will post updates.
AnswerID: 515368

Follow Up By: Member - Thirstydog - Saturday, Jul 27, 2013 at 00:01

Saturday, Jul 27, 2013 at 00:01
Mountainmanmine.. is a79 series Toyota 4.2 when it stopped in a cutting about 8 to 10 ks out of Childers I had to straddle a spoon drain and was still on the fog line(I had a camper trailer on) I could hear the truckies calling it back on the radio , road side assist not avail able. So I changed tanks and hand pumped(hand pump on road side) It took 4 goes to get running another 2 to 3 to get drivable this got me to a spot that was safe at this stage car was running ok .Changed tanks and truck stopped again.Got to Townsville let tank settle drained fuel about 4 Lts a time over 4 days .Fuel a yellow colour when settled had like a mass floating then later like a yellow powder when you rubbed it in your fingers it turned to nothing.Changed filters to be safe.All the best Thirstydog
FollowupID: 794704

Follow Up By: mountainman - Saturday, Jul 27, 2013 at 00:10

Saturday, Jul 27, 2013 at 00:10
you or I don't have common rail engines.
the amarok does have common rail.
it was the vehicle stranded not me.
and ive got a damn good gut feeling the pump on the common rail is blown up.

my 2h can handle the dirty fuel
the 1HD FTE doesn't like it, but wont destroy the pump in getting bad fuel.
as the case with a modern common rail, back to the vehicle makes workshop for repairs..

as they have the tech heads to deal with it, and all repairs will come with factory backed warranty, even if its out of warranty..
blah blah blah
FollowupID: 794705

Reply By: Triton man - Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 19:49

Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 19:49
There are two spots in Cairns I would never buy from but not sure I could mention them here, but it is only during the BIG wet season and flooding. Consider fitting an extra fuel filter fitted in series with the original. Preference should be to fit the new filter BEFORE the factory filter and then monitor the glass see-through bowl with a good torch at regular (monthly) intervals
AnswerID: 515417

Reply By: Will 76 Series - Saturday, Jul 27, 2013 at 00:29

Saturday, Jul 27, 2013 at 00:29
Thirsty Dog,

Your post is timely as I have just had a deisel water detection system installed in my LC 76 Series called water watch. It was a recommendation from my brother who is a mechanic and I didi it due to the amount of water related problems that he has had to deal with in the area we live in. Surprisingly he seems to thing that the cities are the most threat rather than outback due to the amount of turn over and disturbance to the diesel storage tanks!!
The system I had put in to detect water is expensive around the $800 area, but for ease of mind to avoid damage to the injectors and motor from water, I decided it was a good investment. I have a couple of mates who have forked out a lot of money due to water damage to their deisels.

Regards Will 76 Series
AnswerID: 515423

Sponsored Links