Nissan Australia has bad attitude to current customers

Submitted: Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 16:50
ThreadID: 103458 Views:6662 Replies:12 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
I recently purchased a 2013 Nissan Patrol ST Wagon (my third over 13 years) and found my old Nokia mobile would not connect to the blue tooth. Spent a fair bit of time working through the manual to make it connect but no luck. (fair enough) Two weeks later I signed up for a Samsung Galaxy S4 because I thought a new, very popular brand phone would connect WRONG. It will pair, dial in & out but no audio.
After much time with the dealership and no success I phoned Nissan Australia to find that they knew this phone and the Galaxy S3 would not work but had not included that information in their manual. Basically they said sorry (bad luck). I have contacted them 3 times and twice have been told sorry (3rd time I faxed a letter asking to talk to the general manager). Nissan Australia will not allow a customer to talk to anyone except their customer complaints department whom have no power to make sensible decisioins.
I find it unbelievable that Nissan will spend millions of dollars with marketing and surveys and not show any consideration to common sense business principles of trying to satisfy an existing. It will cost more in wages for the complaints department than to resolve my issue. I want a new phone or bluetooth system for the Patrol (from Nissan) as I had the opportunity to purchase a compatible phone had the information been made available.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: greybeard - Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 17:00

Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 17:00
hmmmm, you've purchased an incompatible phone from a phone company and it's Nissan ( a car company ) issue. Maybe a little research prior to purchasing a new phone might have reduced the angst, especially given that you already knew there was a problem with phone/Bluetooth compatibility before you purchased a new phone.
AnswerID: 515545

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexic - Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 17:06

Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 17:06
If I had bought a new vehicle and also a new mobile phone, I would expect they would be compatible in this day and age. If it isn't a fault with the phone then the alternative answer would be the vehicle. To get that response from a supplier (Nissan) is pathetic but we have all heard of their treatment of customers over the 3.l handgrenade problems so nothing is surprising from them.
FollowupID: 794841

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 17:49

Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 17:49
I'm with you Des.

I would have thought Bluetooth was Bluetooth.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 794845

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 19:40

Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 19:40
A neighbor of mine purchased a new Pajero last year and took much delight in showing me how his mobile worked with the Bluetooth system that came as standard with the car.
So do Nissan use a slightly different shade of blue???
Not surprised at the response from Nissan though. A good mate of mine bought a Patrol ute from the local dealer back in the 90's and had a few issues from new. Nothing major but annoying when the local dealer and Nissan Australia demonstrated quite clearly that they didn't want to know. He told them in no uncertain terms that was the last Nissan he would buy.
So it looks like nothing has changed much over the years as far as attitude is concerned.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 794851

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 20:09

Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 20:09
It's probably not the sort of problem most would expect but essentially if the dealer has tried to sort the issue out without luck then you can hardly expect them to give you a new phone. There are complaints across the board about the Galaxy S3 bluetooth problems and they aren't confined to Nissans by any means.
FollowupID: 794854

Follow Up By: KevinE - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 08:19

Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 08:19
I suspect that its the software in the phone causing issues, not the car. I have similar issues & I own an iPhone; try getting that sucker to link up with anything other than another Apple device via bluetooth without jail braking it! It ain't going to happen! Jail brake the iPhone & it is mysteriously able to link to all other BT devices; I suspect there is a similar fix for the S3 - S4.

NB: I have owned a few Nissan vehicles & haven't had any issues with Nissan re warranty whatsoever. Same goes for Ford, Holden, Suzuki, and Toyota! Maybe I've been lucky lol! ;=)

FollowupID: 794866

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 12:19

Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 12:19
Only last night I came across more Galaxy/Android connectivity problems - only this time in relation to hi-fi gear I was researching for my daughter. Owners reported absolutely no issues with iphones and the same high-end hi-fi devices, which may or may not be a pointer to where the problem lies in this case.
FollowupID: 794883

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 13:25

Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 13:25
"I own an iPhone; try getting that sucker to link up with anything other than another Apple device via bluetooth"
My 200 series hooks up to both mine and missus iphone 4's seamlessly? Only thing is while you can store 4 different phones in it you have to manually select them if changing from the previous.
FollowupID: 794890

Follow Up By: KevinE - Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 19:52

Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 19:52
"My 200 series hooks up to both mine & missus iphone 4's seamlessly?"

Lucky you! Mine couldn't even detect other mobile phones with BT switched on while the owner is standing next to me until I jail broke it. I've given up on it, moved on & bought a better phone! The iPhone 4 is just so slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow!
FollowupID: 794982

Follow Up By: Member - Rosss - Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 20:42

Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 20:42
I will just show my lack of knowledge here but what does JAIL BREAKING a phone mean.
FollowupID: 794984

Follow Up By: KevinE - Thursday, Aug 01, 2013 at 20:13

Thursday, Aug 01, 2013 at 20:13
Hi Rosss,

Apple have iPhones set up so that they only talk to other Apple devices via Blue Tooth - the software in them stops your phone even detecting BT devices made by other manufacturers - even in very close proximity, while the other device is quite capable of detecting all manner of BT devices not made by Apple. If you google it, you'll see it's a widely known issue. As to why Apple do this, I'll leave that up to your imagination!

This can be a real PITA if you are trying to share files such as music or videos with friends who do not own iPhones!

As with most issues like this, there is a solution via a 3rd party software provider; in this case, the most prolific 3rd party software solution is to "jail brake" the iPhone.

Going by Fisho64's follow up, either the 200 series LC has an Apple BT device installed, or some kind of divine intervention is involved!

Cheers,

Kevin :=)
FollowupID: 795043

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Thursday, Aug 01, 2013 at 22:16

Thursday, Aug 01, 2013 at 22:16
Not sure if your correct there? While the 200 wasnt new, the phone hasnt been JB. But also worked in Ford hire car?
FollowupID: 795055

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 19:00

Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 19:00
Neil,

There is a sure-fire way to get connected to senior company managers..................
Phone the company, or even better have your wife place the call, and insist on speaking to the General Manager or CEO stating that "It is a complaint about a sexual incident" and that you will speak to no-one lesser.
The junior staff member or Complaints Officer will want no part of it and will refer you up quick smart. Of course I cannot guarantee that the CEO will not dump you when he learns the real reason for your call.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 515555

Follow Up By: Ross M - Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 19:32

Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 19:32
The CEO might dump you quick smart cos he might be already dealing with the secretary over very serious matters.
I know of a secretary to the Nisan boss years ago, she couldn't type a word on a letter.

What sort of incident did you say Allan?

Nissan has a number of bad impatient customers who expect things. They got a good vehicle and now not happy. Hmmm, I suppose it looks that way to them.
FollowupID: 794850

Reply By: cookie1 - Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 19:40

Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 19:40
I have to agree, Nissan is really really poor when it comes to customer service or satisfaction.

I've had 5 Patrols and will not consider another one given the response I had from them and their dealers with the blame redirected to me.

Yes it is amazing that they spend so much on marketing and advertising yet when they have a client base they don't care about keeping them.

Are you able to go back to the phone company as they may just want to keep you as a customer?

cheers
AnswerID: 515560

Reply By: gbc - Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 19:51

Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 19:51
Since when was it a vehicle manufacturer's responsibility to check every phone known to man will pair with standard bluetooth? Every other phone in the world bar those two works? Gee the whole world is out of step with me again...... It would occur to me that this is a telephone problem. Bluetooth is a tm system worldwide, I think the issue will occur in more than just nissan patrols, and the onus therefore would be on the phone manufacturer to inform you that they need more than standard bluetooth connections. Just my way of seeing it - correct me if I have misread your post?
AnswerID: 515562

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 20:10

Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 20:10
Samsung S3 and S4 are two of the biggest selling phones on the market today. We have both and they hook up fine to the Landcruiser stereo.
I'd be miffed too.
AnswerID: 515565

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 21:19

Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 21:19
Dont mention Landcruiser in a Nissan thread! Troll!
FollowupID: 794987

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 22:44

Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 22:44
Unfortunately I am not suprised with Nissan Australia's response. I bought a GU patrol brand new and after the attitude of Nissan Australia to some waranty issues, a Nissan will never darken my driveway again.

The vehicle itself isn't the big issue (all things mechanical can have issues), but the way Nissan Australia treats its customers, well... I voted with my $$$ and bought a 200. And when I bought a new car for my wife, a Nissan was never considered.

Note to Nissan: Its not just the original customer you have lost, but also anyone that customer talks to!

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 515580

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 17:22

Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 17:22
Things are out of hand when the handbook for the combined GPS - Stereo - Bluetooth - Phone - iPad is 3 times as thick as the handbook for all the rest of a new vehicle , just about need a PHD in information technology with a masters in electrical engineering to get the damn things to work seamlessly ,,Toyota FJ Cruiser.
AnswerID: 515606

Reply By: The Landy - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 17:32

Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 17:32
Perhaps if you want a better response you could consider posting this thread to the official Nissan Australia facebook page. Nothing like social media to get the attention of those you want...

Just a thought...
AnswerID: 515607

Follow Up By: Penchy - Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 09:18

Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 09:18
By far the best response yet.

You will not get any further than the customer complaints department because the issue of phone connectivity is exceptionally minor.

Why not rip out the factory head unit and replace it with an aftermarket unit that will do everything the factory one did and then some! Whinging will only get you so far on some things, you just might have to fix it yourself!
FollowupID: 794936

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 17:38

Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 17:38
Given the previous Nissan customer service history over many years and god knows how many reports relating to the 3.0L handgrenades is anyone surprised by their customer service?

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 515608

Reply By: Robtbob NSW - Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 19:15

Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 19:15
I also agree that Nissan head office could not care less for their customers.
I bought a Pathfinder with a GPS, reversing camera, radio, which broke a few months after I bought it, and they could not repair it for 10 months.
They send surveys out, but when you have a problem, they don't want to know.
Nissan should be made to have parts for new vehicles available, or not be allowed to sell them here.
AnswerID: 515670

Reply By: blown4by - Wednesday, Aug 14, 2013 at 15:41

Wednesday, Aug 14, 2013 at 15:41
Any vehicle manufacturer that offers only a V8 petrol engine in the new model for AUS has definitely lost the plot in my book
AnswerID: 516391

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Wednesday, Aug 14, 2013 at 20:32

Wednesday, Aug 14, 2013 at 20:32
Definitely a Nissan software issue...NOT a Samsung Android thing

I have a S4 that connects perfectly with the three cars I use...........3 Toyota's ranging from almost new to 6 years of age....so it doesn't say a lot for Nissan keeping up to date....my phone is a few months old.......my cars in years as above.
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 516407

Sponsored Links